Wiz33's WIP thread

I figure that I should start one of this like everyone else instead of doing a new topic on each new build. As I mention in my VF-25 thread. I’m done with the initial build of the VF-25 and the Superparts but I can’t start the painting as I don’t have access to all my airbrushing stuff. I decided to start on the Yamato 2199 kits. Space Battleship Yamato was the first serious anime that got me hooked. I still have a bunch of the original Bandai kits from the 1st couple series and I have been picking up the new kits from 2199 as they comes out. I just got done with the initial build of Comso Fleet Set 1. I’m actually surprise that some pieces needs to be glued together but most of those are not installed as I’ll do that after painting.

This was a fairly enjoyable build after building 3 Mecha related kits. No more repeating the same steps (right and left side) for half of the build. It’s kind of amazing how they manage to give you pretty much all the right color pieces right out of the box (unfortunate, it also make for some really tiny pieces). But by having the hull being made up by all those different color pieces present another problem. Despite their best effort, there a some pretty large gaps between the different color section in some places (while it almost seamless on another section).

This means that if you want a nicely painted model. You can’t take it apart and paint the individual pieces and put them back together. I’m probably going to have to glue most of the sections to lock them down, putty over the gaps and then paint it using tape and mask as a whole.

Very interesting build and something we don’t see often here.

I was following another person’s Yamato kit build a month or two ago and he went through the same thing. Ended up having to handpaint the really small details because masking them was just too much work.

Kinda funny how the different sections have McDonald’s colors, haha. I don’t understand the need too, since it should be the same thing if the sections are all one color, unless you can mix and match.

Also, is it just me or are those white sections looking rougher than the colored sections?

The rough white on the small ship is the result of filing. I’ll have to smooth that out. What you may not realize is that these ships are small. Here’s a pic with them in relation to the VF-25.

The smallest one is just a bit over 3 inches in length.

I would like to see the other person’s build if you can remember the link. Thanks,

Oh wow, they’re smaller than expected. Building and surface prep may be quick, but the painting will take a long time.

Unfortunately, the build was from a thread on 4chan and it moves pretty quickly so it’s gone, but I was able to find an archive of the person’s posts here: http://archive.heinessen.com/toy/?search_tripcode=!ipCR4eGOD6&task=search2&offset=240

It starts on that page, then just click on the [-24] at the bottom page navigation link to move forward.

It’s kinda amazing how much detail Bandai managed on such small parts but that also mean a big headache when it comes to painting. Just the thought of putting down a silver coat then clear green all the windows on the bridge area does not make me happy.

Been looking at picking up the new 1/72 Zero Alpha and Zero Alpha 2 fighters that Bandai have just released. Yamato/Starblazers is one of my favorites from my childhood. One day, I would love to be able to afford the 1/350 scale Yamato. Your smaller ones should turn out great!

I’m going to see if I can pick up a 1/350 in Asia at a reasonable cost this Xmas and hand carry it back. I have the Zero Alpha 2 but I may pick up the other one so I can build one in Flight mode and the other in Storage mode.

Given that I still do not have my Airbrush setup back and won’t for a couple more days (friend’s son finishing up on one of his old kits). I did the initial build on Cosmo Fleet set 2 last week.

Then I went and did the initial build on this during the weekend:

This is my first RG kit. I was a bit worried as many people have said that some parts are small and fragile. Well yes, there are some fairly small pieces but coming off the Cosmo Fleet kit. They are not that bad. I did nick a couple pieces taking them off the tree but luckily they are in area that’s being covered up. The build was quite enjoyable and took under 10 hours.

Given that I still do not have my Airbrush setup back and won’t for a couple more days (friend’s son finishing up on one of his old kits). I did the initial build on Cosmo Fleet set 2 last week.

The I went and did the initial build on this:

This is my first RG kit. I was a bit worried as many people have said that some parts are small and fragile. Well yes, there are some fairly small pieces but coming off the Cosmo Fleet kit. They are not that bad. I did nick a couple pieces taking them off the tree but luckily they are in area that’s being covered up. The build was quite enjoyable and took under 10 hours.

Now the question is should I go ahead and build the GP01 Zephyranthes also before paint so I don’t have to worry about mixing paint twice and have them not matching (guess I can just mix enough for both and store the rest) and save some time paint both at the same time.

Your Yamato fleet is really cool man. Great work.

I’m also jealous of the GP01. I’m really wanting to get those kits. If you’re wanting to paint them, I can’t wait to see what you have in store for them.

First, your fleet is looking nice and I’m still surprised many of them are so darn small.

Second, I’m interested in your progress on the GP01. Even though I’ve never watched the anime, the design of the suit is really appealing to me. Does the kit feel solid?

Lastly, if you’re not burned out yet on building such a small kit, I say go and build the Zephyranthes. Best to get that part out of the way early so you can focus on painting later.

Gunpla TV just did their comparison review on the GP01s

//youtu.be/iFoKwPAL3NM

I’ll gather my thought and write my own later.

I posted my review on this thread.

http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/32703-RG-GP01Fb-Full-Burnern-review?p=98149#post98149

Just read your review. Great review man.

Well. Not a lot of progress but I got my Airbrush stuff back and I took the GP01 apart to get ready to paint. Now I’ll have to wash the parts tomorrow evening and then start painting on the Weekend. Here’s a few pic:

My Air Compressor and Airbrushes

GP01 in pieces with my Spray Booth

Is that a twin piston compressor? Niceeee!

mother of god… I have to get this setup. What is the part that allows you to connect two airbrushes like that? I could get the patriot I wanted and use my 200NH for clear coat applications. .____. brilliant.

That was luck. I ordered the Single but TCP shipped me the Twin and they let me keep it with no additional cost.

Got it here:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=ABD+KIT-ESSENTIAL

Wow, an amazing setup you got there and it looks like you’re ready for some productive paint sessions.