Why the hate for SD?

From what I see, everyone hates on SD. I guess it has to do with SDGF?

SD was around way before that somewhat poor excuse of a series came out. Granted, I like SDGF, but it has its moments where it’s just too bleh.

From the way I see it, there are two “SD”

SD MS Robots

Example:

//youtu.be/VUmc0s9U5UI

SD MS Mecha

Example

//youtu.be/feWtykQFkCM

There is a BIG difference. For one SD “Robots” are living, like a person. They get along, they eat, sleep, pal around with humans. They are about 5 feet tall, give or take.

SD “Mecha” are about the height of regular Gundams, except for their looks, they are identical. They are piloted. They do not live.

Me, I’m a fan of SD “Robots” more so than SD “Mecha”. But if SDGF is you’re reason for hating both, you’re hating for the wrong reason.

now i know for a fact that i think that SDFG is the biggest stain on the Gundam Franchise since Doozy bots (for the love of everything good and holy dont ask me what that is!!!lol) but as for the rest of SD Gundam i actually dont hate it, in fact Sangoduken (if i spelled it right lol) is one of my favorite SD Gundam shows. i havent seen all of the series and i may not know japanese (the episodes i watched had english sub) but i actually enjoyed it. As for SDGF…-______-…not so much.

I just don’t care much for the SD style. I’ve honestly never seen any of the SD series enough to judge them.

I have only ever seen one SD series that came on, and I wasn’t a fan. SD design with regular camera eyes = imokwiththis, SD design where they have human eyes = getthatoutmyface.

I like SD versions of suits, but some of the really ornate ones take some needing to get into. Any of the ones based on historical figures from japan (Sasuke Sarutobi, Date Masamune, Miyamoto Musashi, Kojiro Sasaki, etc), I will be willing to buy.

(Excuse me as I revive this topic to give my two cents.)

As one of the very few who actually loves SDGF despite its numerous flaws, I have never really fully understood the hate for it or other SD series. I mean, yes it has plenty of mistakes (especially in S1, it really did not need to be as long as it was for the relevant content it had), but compared to other general anime I’ve seen it’s basically the harmless sort of mistakes. Certainly not the sort eight year old me cared about when it first aired, and that the older me used as inspiration to start writing my own stuff.

In fact, I’m having a lot of fun now since my first gundam series (and the only one for a long time) was SDGF specifically because it’s based on so many other series. I wish you all could have seen my reaction to seeing what the non-GMs look like or what I recognized from SDGF in G Gundam. Then again, I was also uncertain about looking into the other series specifically due to the community at large’s treatment of SDGF and the few fans it has, so maybe I’m an even smaller minority in this whole mindset.

Though, while I can only speak for SDGF, I certainly haven’t heard of any particular issues with the other series being vocalized. I suppose the cutesy style isn’t for everyone, though I personally really like it. I’ll likely end up buying any of the SD’s I can though, especially the Gundam Force kind.

This is where I chime in, and say, it’s like that in all sections of Gundam, no matter what you like someone will lampoon it. Just ignore it, and enjoy what you want.

Trying to either fight over it, or talk over it, generally causes nothing but headaches.

1 Like

I actually dislike SD episode series, but love the model kit.