What’s up

Hello, forum. Just dropping in a brief introduction. I’m an “old-school” fan; I grew up on reruns of TOS Star Trek, Space: 1999, and Planet Of The Apes films. I was introduced to Star Wars in theaters in 1977, and my introduction to anime was Harmony Gold’s “reinterpretation” of Macross.

My introduction to Gundam is kinda weird. I picked up my first kit without having watched any of the shows (it was an old Gundam X kit). I was immediately hooked: the design, novelty, and the fact that it was actually articulated were all cool as hell. :slightly_smiling_face:

This led me to researching the anime: the first I checked out was a VHS copy of volume 2 of 0083 that I found in a local comic shop. I remember being confused by the storyline, and baffled by the fact that none of the Mecha resembled my model kit.

From there, I began to actively seek out more kits and learn what I could about the world of Gundam. This was before the internet became as pervasive as it is today, so most of my knowledge was picked up through magazines and sci fi conventions.

Everything finally clicked into place for me with the Toonami debut of Gundam Wing, and the following proliferation of Wing kits at Toys R Us. I was a huge fan of the series, and built every Wing kit I could get my hands on. After that well dried up, I began exploring other alternate universe stories with mixed results.

Eventually, I found myself becoming a fan of the Universal Century timeline. The rich continuity and wide variety of mobile suit designs just clicked with me. Despite the dated animation style, I really love the story depicted in the 0079 series, and I’m a HUGE fan of 08th MS Team. With that being said, my favorite single series right now is IBO. I REALLY wish Bandai Visual would give us another series or movie set in that universe…

Anyway, this “brief introduction” is turning out to be anything but, so I’ll wrap it up. If you’ve made it this far, thanks for checking out my post. I look forward to interacting with y’all. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have another IBO fan on board.

1 Like

Thank you!

Welcome friend~! I actually just finished rewatching ST:TOS with my mother recently, and now we can’t stop quoting Bones and Dr. Spock. I hope you enjoy your time here!

1 Like

Good to know not being just only strange old-timer. Strange in funny way i assume you .
I welcome you . At first it looks like confusing , don’t worry , look around , get used to basics . Sort it up what’s best to you . Ask questions.
People gladly help you .
About that X gundam you’ve built back there , do you still have it ?

1 Like

Unfortunately, I had to get rid of all of my earliest Gundam builds when I moved several years back. I’m thinking about picking up the HG 1/144 version, but I’ve already got quite a few unbuilt kits to work my way through. :smile:

1 Like

Ahwwww , such memories . Well , can’t be helped .

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face: