What annoys you about modern day Gundam kits?

I’ve followed this hobby for 21 years now. I’ve seen my share of new release hype. Japanese magazine kit reviews, prototype pics and builds. Failed and forgotten kit lines. Canceled kits. I love the hobby, even though I can’t enjoy it as I once used to. That said, there are 2 things that really annoy me about modern day kits.

The first is consistency. This really bugs me about Gundam kits the most. It sucks to buy several kits of a series you like and they don’t all match. They look very different or have a different styling. For example the MG 1/100 Zaku II 2.0 and the MG 1/100 Gelgoog 2.0 don’t match the rest of the Master Grade 2.0 0079 kits (Gouf 2.0, Gundam 2.0, etc). Or how the HG 1/144 Ground GM/Gundam don’t match well with the Ez8, which is surprising since Bandai shamelessly reuses molds. Or even how they always switch up the elbow joints. I understand that there are many designers working for Bandai, but I just can’t help but feel really annoyed by the difference (or lack of consistency) in the look of kits. Don’t even get me started on the MG GM Commands! Lack of consistency is what always made me stay away from MG’s until a few years ago.

The second thing that annoys me involves the new polycap system for HG kits. I just hate the polycaps on the torso that the arms connect to. Every new HG has them, at least some of the older HG’s had a more unique joint/part and more range of motion in that area. Not much to it other than that and I do understand why Bandai switched to the new system.

So what annoys you about modern day kits?

I think what grinds my gears the most about modern kits. Is that Bandai plays favoritism with a lot of the kits they release. For instance, let’s take the Beyond Global HG RX-78. The kit is fantastic, color separation, articulation, no need for stickers. Probably the best HG kit I’ve built in recent memory. Bandai clearly put a lot of effort into making it.

Then, you have something like the HG Todesritter. A totally new kit never before seen. 1st, it’s P-Bandai, so it’s slightly harder to buy. 2nd, stickers everywhere! I’d pay an extra $10-$20 bucks for extra parts to not need all of those stickers. It’d be so much easier to paint or straight build without using stickers.

So why not put as much effort into every kit?

1 Like

Because additional effort meant more money and time spent, which could translate back into less profit and later time on the market…

1 Like

Well I guess I’m bummed that they don’t take more chances with kits. Can’t remember the last time they dipped their modeling-toes into shows like G Gundam, Gundam X, or even V Gundam that don’t focus on the main Gundams themselves.

I agree. I remember being surprised by the Todesritter, until I got a really good look at it. The lack of more color separated parts was a turn off. What really made me nope at this thing was when I noticed it was too slim. I should’ve expected them to mess it up, I own the Pale Rider (Ground Heavy Equipment Type) and it has it’s flaws, many similar to the Todesritter.

I mean seriously, it’s a bad sign when a modeler has to make it look right:

1 Like

I just want to say, that I love everything you’ve done to the Todesritter. And I hope that you post more pics of it here. Cause I want to see it when you have it painted.

Not mine (I should have made that clear), but I wish I could do this with kits again. Sadly, my landlord does not like me airbrushing.