The aircraft thread

Looks like the plane thread disappeared, so lets get it back running again with a good story

Theres a Ercoupe for sale near me, very tempting at only $19,000

Now to you have to ask yourself when considering on buying an airplane: what condition is it in, how many hours on the airframe and engine, when was the last overhaul, what are the maintenance costs going to be, what’s the tie-down cost going to be, and can I afford a hanger? I am not trying to dissuade you from your potential purchase, all I’m saying is it that one should be mindful of the factors involved. If you’ve already considered these factors, I say go for it.

Not to mention I have to get my license which is currently $12-$15k currently. I could swing that if I sold my classic car. Honestly I plan to take some lessons and get a ultralight and get my license over time and probably join one of the several flying clubs that are near me that way I have access to a plane but I’m only paying dues vs paying for the plane, hanger, maintenance, ect

I can’t tell you how long I’ve wanted a mosquito. I think my biggest concern on having a helicopter over an ultralight or plane is that there is absoultely no lift if the engine goes. I have plenty of land to keep a helo than try and have space/fees to take off on a runway half a county away from me. Mosquito

I have looked at gryocopters but they are very expensive but possibly the safest of all I think

Ahh, rotocraft fans. Even though I will always be a fixed-wing guy, I still appreciate the versatility that helos bring.

On another topic, in one the most recent trailers for Top Gun: Maverick, I noticed something. In some shots, you can see Tom Cruise’s character flying around in a P-51D Mustang. Judging from the looks of it, this P-51 appears to be the one that Tom Cruise owns but never flies. Yeah, the guy owns a Mustang, has his license and requisite certifications, and never takes it out of the hanger.

1 Like

That’s kind of absurd I didn’t even know he had one. But I know the type, we used to do classic car restoration and these guys would let this totally reworked mustang or challenger, cuda, nova whatever just sit in a garage and come out twice a year (maybe). Granted the amount of money it takes to restore a classic care vs restoring a classic aircraft is moving the zero over a couple decimals but the principal is the same. Especially since Tom kind of has expendable income.

So this needs a bump. To wit, United Airlines is making a big and interesting bet: they plan on purchasing 15 new airliners (with an option for 35 more) from a start-up company called Boom Supersonic based out of Denver, Colorado. Boom Supersonic is in the process of manufacturing a new 50-88 passenger airliner called the Overture. Capable of Mach 1.7 with a cruise altitude of between 50,000 ft and 60,000 ft. Now, some of you might be thinking “weren’t supersonic airliners tried already with the Concorde and didn’t that plane fail?” Well, yes the Concorde did fail. To summarize: Concorde was loud and expensive to operate, thus limiting it to only overseas routes. Boom plan on making a new supersonic airliner that is more efficient, more cost effective, and more importantly quieter. The prospect of renewed SST (supersonic transport) is exciting and I can’t wait to see what happens next.

It’s been what 52 years since the first flight of the Concorde? With the advancement of technology sine then it’s about time they give it another shot. Im curious what the plane will look like.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

Here is also United Airline’s video regarding their announcement:

And if you’re curious on what could power this jet, look no further than the GE Affinity:

General Electric essentially took the core of their popular CFM series engines, and modified everything around it to create this engine.

Correction: Turns out that GE cancelled it’s development of the Affinity engine, which was going to be made for another SST jet called the Aerion AS2 (which itself got cancelled due to lack of funding). Instead, Boom will be working in conjunction with Rolls-Royce on engine development.

So I went a little vacation for the day out to a little air museum in Camarillo. It was closed, but I had a friend on the inside give me a tour of the place. One of the planes in the collection is a genuine Mitsubishi A6M Zero, and it is one of the few that are fully functional. Now while the frame was made in the Mitsubishi factories, the engine was a Pratt & Whitney R-1830. However, the engine fit perfectly inside the fuselage (outside of missing one bolt). There’s a reason for that: Nakajima - the engine builders - had acquired a license from P&W to build a copy of the engine for a different plane. And after the license expired, Nakajima just kept making copies, particularly when Mitsubishi selected this engine for the Zero.

So after finally figuring out how to load pictures from my phone onto my computer, I have decided to share some photos of vintage aircraft I have taken over the years.

Fieseler Fi 156 Storch

PBJ Mitchell

Yakolev Yak-3

B-25 Mitchell

Messerschimdt Bf-108

Mitsubishi A6M Zero

MiG-17

Grumman F6F Hellcat

North American TF-51D Mustang (yes that is me next to it and for reference I am just under 5’9")

Lockheed Electra Junior

Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon

Consolidated B-24J Liberator

1 Like