TempestWitch's WIP Base

Here’s my first ever kit, an HG Shining Gundam given to me for my birthday last month! He’s coming along smoothly. I thought I’d include a height comparison to two of my SDGF figures, it looks like he’ll be just a tad taller than them!

3 Likes

Nice! Do you plan on painting or panel lining it?

1 Like

Thank you so much! But not yet, I’ve never done any of this stuff so I’m starting out simply. I do want to eventually do some custom models though! I may detail this one at a later date when I’m better at it.

1 Like

What tools are you using on the model kit?

I got a nice little kit when it was given to me, it has more but I’ve only needed the hobby nipper so far. Here’s all of what I have though! Well, aside from the little makeshift desk and the Minecraft mug to hold the assembled parts anyway.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to pick up one of these. Especially for the hobby knife and buffer.

1 Like

I’d definitely recommend it! This particular set is…what, $10-$15 dollars on Amazon, if I recall correctly? Either way, it’s already proving to be a massive help in even just starting like I am~

1 Like

I tried to go the cheap way and buy the nail care versions of files and buffers, but they are just too brittle. I’ll have to pick this up for sure.

1 Like

That’s a good kit for beginners. Just be careful not to damage the part with those nippers. They aren’t the best quality.

2 Likes

What would you recommend for good nippers? Do you really have to buy a set of God Hands to get good results?

While god hands are nice and they do provide good results I don’t recommend buying them and your first pair of nippers. The blade is very thin and you can damage it if your not careful. Honestly I bought a pair of GH a year ago. These were the ones I used previous for years.

https://www.amazon.com/Xuron-2175ET-Professional-Sprue-Cutter/dp/B001TMZ7QA/ref=asc_df_B001TMZ7QA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312126267824&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7357470674802428197&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032282&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-536636631039&psc=1

I still use these nippers in my building process.

I cut the part from from the from the runner leaving a little bit of a nub. I trim said nub with a hobby knife, then sand what’s left.

Most people like the tamiya nippers.

https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Sharp-Pointed-Cutter-NO-123/dp/B010PG73J4/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=55855102997&gclid=CjwKCAjwusrtBRBmEiwAGBPgE1Y6qMzKIK_cxlEs9yQtiJvB4d1Yj7K5ciiu3xK9-5g7goRYjjmDURoCoG0QAvD_BwE&hvadid=274704724709&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9032282&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=11380015346304965718&hvtargid=aud-649564993678%3Akwd-337622307084&hydadcr=26713_9636371&keywords=tamiya+nipper&qid=1572055385&sr=8-1

I don’t have a pair of these so I can’t give you my opinion on them.

2 Likes

I have a set of Tamiya nippers (not those exact ones int he link) and I quite like them. I also have a set of Tamiya files and I like those a lot too. I also use 3M sand paper (400 grit) to sand away nubs. It marks up the plastic quite a bit though, but I fully paint my models anyway so it doesn’t matter to me. I use Games Workshops washes for panel lining, but I’d recommend either Gundam marker or Micron pens for panel lining directly onto the plastic.

2 Likes

I’ll keep both of your information in mind for a later date when I’m ready to upgrade! For now, what I have seems to be good to start out with, so at least I’m on the right track!

Though, it looks like I’ll need to touch up on my Captain Gundam. I’ve had him for twelve years and the paint just keeps wearing away! Poor guy’s been through a lot; I’m surprised he hasn’t lost more, much less had more severe damage like my SD God Gundam has. Another project to add to the list!

1 Like

Shining Gundam is complete! And he looks amazing~ I just need to build the action stand I bought and I’ll be all set!

3 Likes

Nice. What’s you next project?

I’m waiting on a Haro that should be later today to hold me off a bit until my Heavy Weapons Captain Gundam arrives in November!

Which haro did you buy?

Just the basic green one! I actually just finished him.

2 Likes

The haro kits are nice little kits. You should consider getting a petitguy kit.

They are, I’ll look into it after the HW Captain Gundam gets here!