Operating Systems

This is just a casual thread about Operating Systems, such and Windows and Linux.
I’m just interested in what you guys would use on a regular basis, and your preference.

Right now I’m kind of cut up between Ubuntu and Linux Mint. It used to be Arch Linux, which I feel too unexperienced to use.
I like Mint’s simplicity. It performs much better than Ubuntu does. Ubuntu on the other hand is more popular and has better support for most things. Because of this deciding factor, I’m currently using Windows 7 which came preinstalled.

Windows can be a bitch, but it works. I’ll give it that.

Another Windows 7 user here, 64-bit version. I tried Fedora Core 5 way back when I was in college and it worked really well, but I kinda ignored it after graduating, haha. I don’t see how anyone can stand using any OS as 32-bit nowadays.

I’m currently using the 32-bit version, hahaha. It came with the desktop, I didn’t have a choice there.

Now I must ask, what benefit does 64-bit have over 32-bit? How is it superior, are there any downsides to it, etc.
(Thinking of upgrading to 64-bit ubuntu sometime in the future.)

I guess it uses the PCs potential and resources much better than a 32-bit does.

Oh man, sucks that you’re stuck with the 32-bit version. Still, I’m not saying it doesn’t work well. After all, I used the 32-bit version of Windows 7 for a year before moving to the 64-bit one, haha.

One of the main benefits of 64-bit operating systems is that they can use memory over 4GB. For example, my personal laptop has 6GB of RAM and the OS can use all of it whereas a 32-bit OS can use only 4GB. The performance increase is pretty noticeable. Another benefit is that it can handle long filenames and other such number-related data without freezing up or otherwise encountering problems. Keep in mind that this is just for Windows systems. Linux might be a bit different.

The only downside I can think of is the application compatibility. Most applications out there today will not take full advantage of the processing capability of a 64-bit OS. The only visible benefit you’ll see there is that you can open up more instances or windows of them without seeing much of a performance hit.

I bought an Asus laptop last 2011 Core i3 and were already installed with Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit. I have a separate installer of Windows 7 Ultimate edition which my older brother used with his laptop, but I am kinda feeling lazy right now of upgrading since I’m gonna be doing all the grunt work. Plus, I’m satisfied with the way my laptop is as of the moment.

If you’re fine with the Home Edition, there isn’t really a need to move to the Ultimate Edition. I run the Ultimate Edition on my laptop, but I’m not using any of the features that make it the “Ultimate” edition. It’s not like a Linux OS where certain distros of the same kernel (say, Fedora and Red Hat) have noticeable differences.

Yes. Even with my Android phone. I use the 3rd Nexus which was the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Nexus devices are always the first among the Android devices to receive updates from Google. I’m still on ICS 4.0.4. I don’t mind if there’s a 4.2.2 already. Mine works fine, and I’m satisfied with it.

Same here. I’m still using my GSII that’s running ICS and have no desire to get a new phone for Jelly Bean nor am I waiting anxiously for Samsung to release the update. The OS is pretty stable despite the occasional freeze-up and it does everything I need it to do well. Unlike the first Galaxy S, which was okay for a few months for me then went downhill after the Froyo update.

Makes me wonder why iPhone users are so quick to purchase the newest phone that comes out. Their OS has always been rock-solid so why fork over the cash for a marginal upgrade that you may not even notice? Baffles me.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just about the people being materialistic and cannot feel any contentment. Status symbol; show off; what else? Most (not all) of these buyers don’t even have the slightest idea how to maximize the use of their smartphones, yet they are ready to throw their devices away to get the new one.

Yahoo published an article before the release of iPhone 5 about 10 things you can do with your older iPhone. Materialistic mind conditioning.

It’s not about being able to afford a device, but it’s not just wise to yearly change your phone for small updates.

As for me, two or three years from now, maybe I’ll get the latest iteration of Nexus. Maybe not. Let’s see.

Kinda OT. I’m sorry.

@Dlinker, are you running on the official ICS update of GSII?

Meh, I think it’s an appropriate rant, haha. It kinda applies to computers now too considering how most applications and functions nowadays rarely ever use up the maximum amount of system resources to work. Do we really need to upgrade to Windows 8? What about the latest Mac OS? The only one this doesn’t really apply to is probably Linux simply because minute changes happen on their own without a need for a completely different OS. I was thinking of buying a new laptop this year, but I’m holding out for next year instead (maybe). Not because of new hardware, but because I still haven’t found a reason to get a new one.

@extend, I am indeed running the official ICS update on my GSII. I’m glad it updated without a fuss or else it would have been a trip to T-Mobile to get it replaced, haha.

I have tried a Windows 8 on a demo machine. I hate it. I think it would lessen my efficiency at work. I hate the start menu covering up the whole screen. If I have a Unix/Linux terminal with another Excel for the documents open, then an SQL editor on the next, I’ll get easily disoriented with the full screen start menu.

Windows 7 already gained praises being a stable and good OS. Why Microsoft?

(this is the only reason I could fathom them doing this, below is what I think happened not what really happened)

Because tablet laptop’s that’s why, Microsoft wanted to compete with the growing tablet market by releasing there new line of tablet’s that are also laptop’s and for these machines they wanted to create a similar interface as there mobile phone and the tablet’s of other companies and sell this as a new os entirely because why not. But the thing they should have realized is " this might be awkward if this OS is used on a real laptop or Desktop" but nooo that guy was probably shot as someone was placing the hundred dollar price tag on this OS and shipped it out.

so yeah that’s my guess.

@Rowdain,

I think that’s a fairly accurate assumption. There’s no denying that the tablet market is very lucrative now and it would be a waste if Microsoft didn’t capitalize on it with something daring or unique. However, Microsoft has a record of slipping on some of these attempts so I wouldn’t be surprised if Windows 8 becomes their next Vista/ME fiasco. There’s talk that there will be some use of Windows 8 in our firm (mostly due to clueless attorneys getting it OEM with their new laptop and blabbing about it). I’m hoping our office doesn’t get swept up in that. I already feel that the migration to Windows 7 will be a huge ordeal…

I see that coming. However, Apple and other open source systems took the other way around. Both still have specific operating systems for handheld tablets and smartphones. Macbooks have Mac OS. iPhone, iPod, and iPad have iOS.

Linux still have PC/Laptop operating systems, and you have Android on smartphones and tablets.

I dunno, I just think that grinding work of us developers and programmers still heavily rely on a PC/Laptop operating system compared on tablet computers.

@extend,

You think there will be a time when development work will be done on machines with touch interfaces such as tablets? I do web development/management work on the side and it would be very interesting to do what I do now, but using my hands directly instead of a mouse.

That’s a possibility. There are lots of development tools today that are graphical - I mean you “drag and drop” objects on your development pane or canvass or your work area. However, I think use of personal computers and laptops cannot be eliminated and cannot be dominated by tablet computers. Typing hundreds of lines of codes using a real keyboard is still much more convenient and efficient rather than on tablet computers. As for now, I think development and programming using tablet computers is possible, but it still cannot be the main choice of device or machine.

Take this joke for example - the comparison of the computers used by developers and the CEO.
It may not be entirely true, but somehow it reflects the difference.

Yeah, I get what you’re saying. The way things are now on the development side and how it’s not really progressing towards adoption of touch interfaces, it’s always going to involve the good-old keyboard/mouse interface. Your statement about use of personal computers/laptops still staying strong is very true as well. Here’s a real life example: the former Managing Partner in our office uses an iPad (which he loves dearly) as his primary machine when working outside the office. He connects to the firm network via Citrix. No, he doesn’t do it via touch interface only. He bought the external keyboard for the iPad so he can type better since he finds the soft keyboard lacking. The only reason he’s not going for a full-blown laptop is because he’s picky about weight/size. Even a tablet lover would never discard the keyboard completely, haha.

That pic is pretty funny and so absolutely right :slight_smile: It applies to desktop support people too (or for anyone, really, who works a jack-of-all-trades IT/IS job).

Going back slightly on-topic, I wonder if anyone here have used a Chromebook before.

I have heard of it before, these are laptops running on Chrome OS - which is another Linux/based OS. It’s like Mac OS to iOS while Chrome OS is to Android. I have read that it is designed to work exclusively with web applications. Which means you have to always be connected to the internet? This operating system seems to heavily rely on cloud computing.

That’s right, it’s entirely a cloud-based OS with everything relying on an Internet connection. I’m curious to know how it stacks up to a traditional OS. I’ve read the articles on it and all that, but nothing beats hearing it from someone with first-hand experience. My GF was planning on getting one for her aunt who does nothing but Facebook, but no progress on it yet.