New Member, New Gunpla Builder

Greetings.

My name is Shawn.

I’m not new to model building or the Gundam universe, but I’m fresh to Gunpla.

My first foray into the model building world was at 9 years old. My parents bought me several WWII airplane models in hopes that I could be creatively occupied and maybe learn patience. I learned things, but not patience. Here’s what I learned:

1.) CA Glue bonds to skin much better than skin bonds to the person.
2.) A little paint a long way, a lot of paint is hard to get out of the carpet.
3.) Paint markers smell better than permanent markers.

My first return to the model building world was my early 30s. On a whim, I decided that I’d jump into Tamiya, Hasegawa and Aoshima car models. I learned that in its way, the model building world can be as expensive of a hobby as photography and both have a cost-prohibitive wall if your attention is divided. I decided to become more exploratory with photography and music production and left the model building alone.

No that my three kids are at an age where I’m not concerned they’ll try and look with their hands, I’ve decided to return with Gunpla. I’ve done one Gundam model ever, the RX-93 Nu Gundam (RG) last week. It’s an OOB kit with a flat coat and acrylic panel lining. Nothing fancy, just satiating that tingle in my fingers to use them to see what it’s all about. I didn’t spend much time on clean up or sanding just because this is an inexpensive kit and I wasn’t sure if this would satisfy me as much as I wanted it to.

It did. It was fun, and I was amazed at the mechanical engineering these have for articulation and the overall quality of the entire kit.

Tomorrow I receive an MG Astray Red Frame Kai to build and will be investing some time in to it.

Fortunately, I still ahve many of the tools used when I built model cars but 1:24 race and production vehicles have a different theory than giant walking robots.

My areas of wekaness are:

1. I don’t know how to use an airbrush.
  2. I don’t know how to weather anything
  3. I don’t know how to srcrib my own lines

My strengths are:

1. I can get surgical with a rattle can if I need to.
  2. I can sculpt parts if I need them and am adept in 3D modelling programs to fabricate things I can’t sculpt.
  3. I’m not afraid of mistakes. They happen and it’s just plastic.

Anyway, hello. I look forward to participating in the forums and learning things people do to improve their builds as well as sharing ideas.

3 Likes

This is a great build and your finished kits is awesome.

Quite frankly I’m at the same level of involvement and I can say that this is a wonderful hobby.

Good luck and see you around.

That’s an excellent kit and the finished product looks amazing.

Even with your extensive modeling experience I’m surprised you started with a RG. With that in mind I think you’d finish up a very sharp looking PG in the future. Welcome to the forums.

I’m aware of the various levels: High Grade, Real Grade, Master Grade, Hi-Res Master Grade, Perfect Grade.

High Grade seemed like it would be a generic frame and armor, not much to really detail or inspect visually. RG is 1/144 which is the same as an HG but carries the detail closer to an MG. I felt it was a good balance and depending on how it turned out. I’d adjust accordingly depending out outcome. Either way, Id get a second kit with the only difference being which grade.

I’d love to get a couple of PG kits by the summer (presently, I’m drawn to the RX-178 Mk II AEUG for it’s classic and uncomplicated frame shape and focus on detail within the gimmicks - it leaves lot of room for kitbashing).

1 Like

Welcome!

Model looks great! Airbrushing seems daunting at first, but it really isn’t that difficult.

This is the tutorial that I learned from
http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/airbrush-tutorial-flash/#uncategorized

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Thank you for the link and sharing the resource. Airbrushing is definitely something I want to learn and the outcome of a skilled user can’t be denied.

1 Like

You need to try the airbrush, than you will get the experience, it is hard to tell you how to do it. BTW nice build, wish you enjoy the process. I am not good on painting but I like to add LED into the model.