More ThunderBolt series please!

There was a teaser image of the atlas gundam ver kai released in April. People are speculating it will be December’s release.

I wish bandai would make a mg version of the zaku 2 with the big gun and the ground gundam s type.

I wish they would’ve released an HG TB Acguy.

My frantic month has passed. Going to enter a state of “sit back and relax” mode until October for another project deadline from work. This is time to get back to my FA Zaku. My impression from the animation is that the colour of the armor should be red instead of ‘Char’s Orange’. This prompts me to carry out a large scale “colour-correction” (See the difference in painted parts and the liner). The paint job is very lengthy not only because of the size but also number of parts.

@F91. I never know there is a regular release. I always thought both MS are released under PB. Based on what I remember from unboxing a few days ago, I cannot recall a huge booster part in the kit. Having said that, the box of FA Zaku is beyond huge. I have put it on top of my PG Strike box for comparison…

Both Gundam Thunderbolt and Psycho Zaku have regular or normal releases, at least in the U.S. anyway, not too sure if they were made to be P-Bandai in other regions like the Gundam 00 XN Raiser or the Gundam Astray Turn Red.

Was not able to find many unboxing or parts information about both Last Session kits, but they were definitely different from the normal ones.

For Gundam Thunderbolt, the normal one have all 4 shields, the backpack with boosters and with missile pod and beam cannon mounted, the rocket launcher, and the armors. P-Bandai one seemed to have only 1 battle damaged shield, the debris parts, and battle damaged parts. They did included the non battle damaged parts that you can build the non battle damaged Gundam Thunderbolt.

For Psycho Zaku, the normal one and the P-Bandai one seemed to have a little bit less difference. Both have the big backpack. The normal one have the big pain in the behind booster along with 2 other smaller booster and weapons mounting on them. P-Bandai one have the debris parts and battle damaged parts. Also have non battle damaged parts for assembling the normal non damaged Psycho Zaku. Not sure if it included the big beam bazooka or not though. So it was understandable that the box of the regular one was big but for the P-Bandai one, probably due to the debris parts and the base that made the box to be bigger than it should. One thing for certain though, if you want to display the normal Psycho Zaku, you will likely need more space than the P-Bandai one.

Definitely looking forward to the build, not too many people shared their build or review of them online. At least cannot seem to find them while trying to look up information.

After some hard work, the upper body is completed! Unfortunately, I messed up the most critical part of this PB kit - the water decal for the melted mono-eye :sob:

I am really impressed by the extensive knowledge of @F91. I have checked the kit again and confirmed there are no parts for the huge booster. Here is what the completed Psycho Zaku would look like. To my surprise, we the builders can decide between a complete arm vs a small shoulder fragment. As you can see above, I prefer to give the Zaku an arm :slightly_smiling_face:

As for the beam bazooka you mention, you cannot build it with the provided parts. I suspect the missing parts should be identical to those from Char’s Dom, which is possibly why they are not included in this kit. However, you can build a complete Zaku machine gun, bazooka, rocket launcher and heat hawk. As a side note, you also have the option of building a normal version head.

2 Likes

Thank you. :blush: But actually not that knowledgeable, just done a bit of search that was all. Unfortunately, beside the normal promo stuffs, not that much information for both P-Bandai kits around. There were people that built them and display them, but pretty much no one shown the instruction manuals or the part trees like Dalong do in the reviews. So with the information gathered, came to the conclusion that both P-Bandai kit allows you to build the core kits, but instead of all the armaments and stuffs, you get debris field parts and battle damaged parts. The good thing was that for both kits, they do have both normal and battle damaged to allow the builders to non damaged or battle damaged MS.

Good to see the mix up build, not always have to be damaged based on what they included, it can also be very little partial damaged.

Anyway, back to the main thing.

Have not been dealing with water slide decal, dry transfer, or stickers, pretty much since dealing with Gunpla, what will be said will likely sounded stupid. So based on the promo picture and compared,

(Picture borrowed from Gundamkitscollection)

It does not seemed to be that bad, well you have the kit so you should also have picture after decal being applied. Though you might want to take care of of the little air bubble part, borrowed your picture by the way, that the little arrow was pointing,

Since it was water slide decal, maybe you can reapply it to take care of it, or use a needle to poke just a little hole and squeeze the air out. Though maybe you want to wait for someone with more experience to weight in before attempt to take care of the bubble part. As mentioned, total noob on them.

If you were referring to the discoloration on the lower part of the mono eye, then that does take a bit of experience to fix it. You can probably use some paint to take care of that.

Or, sort of completely off the way, you can print or have someone make the decal for you to replace it. Read it in one of the post probably a year or so back, that you can make your own water slide decal. You can probably have scanned the picture per manual, again borrowed your picture, with the little red circle,

Since manual mentioned that you need to make cuts, edit it in some way, then make sure it was to scale and printed it out to make a replacement. Though as typing, that sounded like a lot of work. Not sure if you wish to pursuit that route though.

Edit: So after some searching, found https://thosegundamguys.org/decal-creation-tutorial/ which was also mentioned in the forum threads "What Kit Should I get?" & Recommendations and Creating your own Decal template

There was also the thread Would this work on ....

There was also mentioned of Samuel Decal which can make custom decal…

Sorry cannot be much of help. Would help more on the decal, but have neither kit nor really attempted to get them before…

Did you use decal softener on the waterside decals?

1 Like

Here are a few pictures of the lower body and the backpack. The instructions in general do look quite familiar and remind me of my Char’s Zaku 2.0 (the only Zaku I have) that I assembled a long time ago. I think it is fair to assume that this Psycho Zaku shares the same frame with Zaku 2.0. If anyone find my speculation inaccurate, please correct me. I am very thankful to have the plastic sheets as the materials covering the tubes on the head, waist and legs. The “beads on a thread” design in Zaku 2.0 is a nightmare. I can still recall years from now that I had to cut all little connector parts nicely from the liner for each “bead”, and then push them one by one into a coil :weary: For some reasons there was very large fiction between the beads and the coil. Don’t forget this process is to be repeated 5 times!

@F91 Thank you again for the extensive information. In response to your suggestion of re-applying the decal, I prefer to leave it as it is. I have used mark setter before the application of the burn effect decal, hence its removal is going to be a very challenging job with the risk of shredding the decal into fragments. In fact, the surface for application is like a rocky mountain. When I examine the decal again, I think it is an elevated surface rather than an air bubble.

@Rxslinger I have used marker setter. Otherwise, the decals can fall off very easily after all the moisture dries up. I will snap a picture when I get home and hopefully we are talking about the same thing.

1 Like

Well, Gundam Thunderbolt happened during the One Year War, 0079 time, so the Zaku variants pretty much limited to the Zaku I and Zaku II. Since Psycho Zaku looked nothing like Zaku I, then it must be a Zaku II variant. And since the high mobility Zaku II, the common R-1 and R-2 were all considered as MS-06R, so it sharing parts with normal MS-06F, J, S, whatever else letter there was, should not be of too much of surprise. Also, when searching for Japanese spelling of Psycho Zaku last week, came across the wiki https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/MS-06R_Zaku_II_High_Mobility_Type_(Reuse_"P"_Device) , it basically stated that Psycho Zaku was pretty much normal MS-06R with all the special equipment and stuffs built into it with additional armament. So yeah, it was a Zaku II.

Besides, Bandai was known to do these things such as recoloring and reuse the old mold. Save money and time on development and redesigning. The MG Unicorn variants were the victim of such practice. Granted, they did a little redesign here and there, but not nearly enough to fix all the problems. That was why pretty much all the MG Unicorn variants, except the redesigned MGEX Unicorn, shared similar problems. Kind of like how Microsoft did with their Windows software…but that will be off topics…

It will be up to you if you wish to redo the decal. But if you ever do wish to replace it, you can try the information provided. Cannot guarantee good results though. Personally, will replace it, but that was pretty much do not deal with decals, stickers, and dry transfers.

As for the mono-eye area, maybe it was the reflection from the picture that makes the mentioned part looked a little weird but looked okay in person. Pretty much why pictures do not always present the subject as it should. Often time too little but sometimes too much.

In any case, your previous pictures do not show the glittering part of the paint that much, but in these pictures, it seemed the red have glittering effect. What kind of paint were they?

Looking forward to the complete build and its fight with Gundam Thunderbolt.

1 Like

Decal softener is designed to make waterslide decals more playable. If you poke a hole in the the air bubble and us decal softener you might be able to get the decal to lay down flat.

2 Likes

This is the best that I can do to reproduce the scene of the final battle. Although there is nothing to complain relating to articulation, the plastic sheets can turn white upon over-stretching. This is something to keep in mind for those who consider to get any of these TB kits.

Speaking of the different types of Zaku, I always have a hard time distinguishing among them. They all apparently look the same to me. Only the custom suits have distinct colour schemes, which is the only way that I can identify who the rightful owners are… The same goes for Dom. What is the difference between Dom and Rick Dom other than the fact that Rick Dom is used in space?

Before I forget, this is the mark setter I use. What I did is to apply a few drops of the mark setter followed by placing a decal on top when it is still wet. Then, I used cotton swabs to push the bubbles away in one direction. Grateful if anyone here can share any gimmicks. The paint I used is #75 metallic red. GX202 is more pink in my opinion, which suits my PG Strike better.

As for the Bandai is known to do these things, I cannot agree more. I have a thread indicating most, if not all parts that must be glued in a MG Unicorn to prevent unintentional de-transformation.

1 Like

Although it has been years since last seen Gundam Thunderbolt season 1, but that should be a pretty good reproduction of the scene.

As for the Zakus, there were many many different ones, Zakus were probably the one with the most MSV variants and GMs following them. That statement was not based on any facts, just personal thought.

Now for the Dom and Rick Dom, use the wiki as a guideline. Basically, Rick Dom have equipment modified for space use, kind of like Sandrock and Heavyarms in the Gundam Wing TV series did, though Rick Dom predates them. One of the main difference between Dom and Rick Dom was probably the beam bazooka, Dom do not wield that weapon for whatever reason.

Thank you for the answer of the paint. Have you considered using one of those Sazabi or Sinanju color before?

Did bunch of replies in your Unicorn thread too. :smiley:

1 Like

The difference between the mg dom/rick dom is the dom has 2 different bazooka, a machine, and 2 panzerfaust’s as weapons. The rick dom has tge standard dom bazooka, the beam bazooka (similar the the one the psycho zaku has, and it has additional thrusters. If you want a mg dom I suggest you wait on picking one up. Bandai tease a mg dom 1.5 that has new hand and upgraded shoulder joints similar to the dowagde.

2 Likes

The one reason the Dom didn’t use the Beam Bazooka was mostly because “the Beam Bazooka takes time to charge and is difficult to produce, negatively affecting adoption of this weapon.” I’m sure that use on earth would have revealed more issues with the weapon.

1 Like

One of them would mostly definitely be weight. Im sure the weight of the beam bazooka would affect the doms hover capacity.

1 Like

Here are some final thoughts about these last session kits.

Money-wise, whether the premium is worth to pay is entirely subjective. After a brief search, I have learnt that they are more expensive than the regular releases. As @F91 has summarized, it is possible to choose between assembling the regular and last session bodies. With the damaged parts, you can assemble the head of Gundam TB that is blown by the rocket launcher. Only one damaged shield is included. As mentioned in my earlier post, there is a huge piece of water decal to deal with, which is to be applied to the lower portion of the shield.

As for the Pyscho Zaku, battle damages on the upper left of the backpack can be recapitulated. There is a very eye-catching crack together with a broken thruster. The most iconic damage, without question, is going to be the left shoulder fragment. Don’t forget to apply the damage effect decal before mounting the arm of choice (complete arm or shoulder fragment). Not saying that you cannot apply the decal after mounting the arm parts but is just more challenging in my opinion.

With the replacement of the complete arm by the shoulder fragment, this should not look too different from the last battle scene featured in the box arts.

Finally, here are the optional and spare parts. Unlike Gundam TB with only 2 beam sabres, there are obviously a lot more weapons included in the Psycho Zaku kit. The problem is that you have no way to display them altogether as what you would expect from the regular release. Furthermore, the given hand parts can barely hold the Zaku machine gun because there is no place for the connector part from the machine gun to connect to. The action base and colony fragment parts are identical in both last session kits.

I will take a week break before moving on to my final PB kit, F91 Twin VSPR / Back Cannon version, from a purchase earlier this year together with Phoenix Narrative and Last Session Version of Gundam TB and Psycho Zaku. After spending some fortune on shipping these PB kits, I don’t think I will expand my collection anymore until next year…

As for the Dom 1.5, this is something that I must get this year. Will it be a Dom or Rick Dom? Personally, I am not fond of the Zeon suits but since I started with a Pyscho Zaku, I may as well to start collecting the mono-eye army :joy:

2 Likes

I know for a they are making 1.5 dom (ground use). I believe it comes out later this year, but iI haven’t seen any updates. As for a Rick Dom im sure they will probably make one (mostly a p bandai they way things are going). It would be nice of the 1.5 dom had parts to make the standard dom or rick dom, but I doubt that would happen.

1 Like

There is talk that there will be a Rick Dom along with the Dom.

Dom

Rick Dom

2 Likes

Thanks, it looks like a standard release as well. It makes me wonder if the will release a newer version of the Char and Dozen Rick Dom’s.

1 Like

Sorry to anyone that liked Dom and all its variants and whatever else follow the design, but actually never really cared much for it. For Zeon suits, it was never really the favorite. Dom and the likes were fun, something, and annoying, most of the item, in the games, but other than that and the MG kits, never shown too much interested in them. So unfortunately did not checkup on too much information on them.

Anyway, @Rxslinger did bring up one good point, the weight. According to wiki, Dom weights about 1.5 times more than Rick Dom without any armament, though they both can weight about the same with full armament. That do mean that if it carry the mega bazooka, assuming that it was heaviest weapon of all of its armament, then that would put it to capacity or near capacity which then it cannot carry much else. Even though Dom have high power propulsion, but to be a little realistic, they should have make Dom weight much less than Rick Dom due to gravity.

Sadly, being a MG collector, will definitely go for the 1.5 Dom, Rick Dom, and whatever, within reason, when possible. :expressionless:

@GAT-X105, granted, other P-Bandai sites have more offerings, but unless P-Bandai US do not have those offerings, otherwise, you should consider getting the kits from them. Shipping is not too bad if you purchase multiple kits or bigger kits such as MG or PG.