More ThunderBolt series please!

Before working on this PB Gundam Thunderbolt (TB), I did not like this work too much. Thanks to the water decals, the damage effects are so real. Here is what Gundam TB looks like in its basic, standing pose. The inflicted damages can be reproduced effortlessly even by a novice like me. I have also ordered the Full Psycho Zaku together with Gundam TB. Don’t think I have time to unbox it until June…

Applying the decals to the shield is very challenging to me. The orange part you see is actually a huge piece of water decal. In addition, the surfaces for applying the explosion effect decals are uneven. I had to make multiple cuts such that the decals could extend better. It took me almost an hour to complete the shield alone. Nevertheless, the result is very satisfactory despite there are a few torn tiny pieces by accident. Thinking of topping-off the torn parts with black. Any thoughts?

At first I thought the paper sheets covering the joints would impede joint movement but to my surprise, not even a bit.

I will work on the colony fragment pieces hopefully later this weekend. Hardly can wait to put Gundam TB on the included action base together with the colony effect parts and recapitulate the frontpage of the construction manual.

I hope Bandai will consider at least releasing the Ground Type Gundam in season 2. For some reasons, those Gundams do look stunning in the absence of the signature “v-fin” on the head.

2 Likes

That is pretty well done.

Did acquired a normal version of the Gundam Thunderbolt, but built. Not sure if the person had previously did anything to the joint cover material or maybe it was the way the material would normally be after some type, but the material was very brittle when acquired. While the material do not disintegrated when touched, but it did became unusable.

Would be cool if they release Ground Gundam Type S. But they need to release Blue Destiny ones or Pale Rider first! :smiley:

personally a slave wraith hg sd and mg would be cool

Your In luck. There already is a HG Slave Wrath.

yeah but not a p-bandai one

Well, Slave Wrath was not part of Thunderbolt series, it was actually from Missing Link series. Still cool if they release a MG version.

I don’t see that happening unless they do a ground gundam 2.0 or even a 1.5

Actually, at this time, rather they do some other kits than focus on making 1.5 or 2.0 for some of the kits. There are plenty of suits that deserve MG treatment. But if Full Mechanics is going to be the “new” MG, then Full Mechanics treatment…heh…

Wonder if they will ever do Atlas Gundam in 1/100 scale, that was an odd ball Gundam. But if they will do the GM Thunderbolt though, it actually looked pretty good, slightly better than Gundam Thunderbolt.

Bandai released images of a proto type mg atlas gundam ver ka, however there is no release date yet.

Thank you! This TB really distinguishes itself from the few Grandpa Gundams that I have (2.0, 3.0 and Ver Ka)! At first I was a little surprised a Gundam is not piloted by a NT teen but at the same time fascinated by the FA equipment. I have never seen an ordinary version of Gundam TB in full armor in hobby shops. Perhaps it is also a PB kit? However, I cannot find it listed in the PB catalog.

Atlas Gundam is not my type, its design deviates a lot from the classic UC vibe in my opinion. In fact, there is a HG version but released as a PB item a few years ago. Actually I do not see any problems using the existing Ground Type Gundam as the frame for its TB variant. Although it is dated by today’s standard, the joints are very solid and the articulation is still very satisfactory. Weapon-wise, aren’t there existing parts for beam javelin from Grandpa Gundam? As for BD1, anything from the Missing Link is fine for me! A MG BD1 sounds like very reasonable because it is basically a Ground Type GM in blue, with slight modifications LOL. I have no idea why it is never a part of plan. So as BD2 and BD3… there is a kit called Ground Type Gundam… Bandai, hello?

Anyway, the kit is finally completed. Unfortunately, I need to meet a project deadline by mid June and working on weekends is expected to make this happen… I cannot wait to put Gundam TB and Psycho Zaku together!

Really? Have not seen that before yet.

@GAT-X105

Sorry, the “normal” Gundam Thunderbolt unit that was referring to was this:

(Picture borrowed from Dalong)

Should probably referred it to the regular release instead. It was recently restocked in some of places, at least according to the list or pictures they put out.

As for the Atlas Gundam, sorry, not to rebuttable on everything that you have written, but there was actually 2 HG versions. One was regular HG release and one was titled Bandit Flower Version, the latter one being P-Bandai release.

Psycho Zaku being the same Last Session Version or the regular version? If you want to put the regular version along with the Gundam Thunderbolt, you will need to have more space because the booster part was long, takes more space than the Full Armor Unicorn does, think half size of HGUC Dendrobium…

There was a teaser image of the atlas gundam ver kai released in April. People are speculating it will be December’s release.

I wish bandai would make a mg version of the zaku 2 with the big gun and the ground gundam s type.

I wish they would’ve released an HG TB Acguy.

My frantic month has passed. Going to enter a state of “sit back and relax” mode until October for another project deadline from work. This is time to get back to my FA Zaku. My impression from the animation is that the colour of the armor should be red instead of ‘Char’s Orange’. This prompts me to carry out a large scale “colour-correction” (See the difference in painted parts and the liner). The paint job is very lengthy not only because of the size but also number of parts.

@F91. I never know there is a regular release. I always thought both MS are released under PB. Based on what I remember from unboxing a few days ago, I cannot recall a huge booster part in the kit. Having said that, the box of FA Zaku is beyond huge. I have put it on top of my PG Strike box for comparison…

Both Gundam Thunderbolt and Psycho Zaku have regular or normal releases, at least in the U.S. anyway, not too sure if they were made to be P-Bandai in other regions like the Gundam 00 XN Raiser or the Gundam Astray Turn Red.

Was not able to find many unboxing or parts information about both Last Session kits, but they were definitely different from the normal ones.

For Gundam Thunderbolt, the normal one have all 4 shields, the backpack with boosters and with missile pod and beam cannon mounted, the rocket launcher, and the armors. P-Bandai one seemed to have only 1 battle damaged shield, the debris parts, and battle damaged parts. They did included the non battle damaged parts that you can build the non battle damaged Gundam Thunderbolt.

For Psycho Zaku, the normal one and the P-Bandai one seemed to have a little bit less difference. Both have the big backpack. The normal one have the big pain in the behind booster along with 2 other smaller booster and weapons mounting on them. P-Bandai one have the debris parts and battle damaged parts. Also have non battle damaged parts for assembling the normal non damaged Psycho Zaku. Not sure if it included the big beam bazooka or not though. So it was understandable that the box of the regular one was big but for the P-Bandai one, probably due to the debris parts and the base that made the box to be bigger than it should. One thing for certain though, if you want to display the normal Psycho Zaku, you will likely need more space than the P-Bandai one.

Definitely looking forward to the build, not too many people shared their build or review of them online. At least cannot seem to find them while trying to look up information.

After some hard work, the upper body is completed! Unfortunately, I messed up the most critical part of this PB kit - the water decal for the melted mono-eye :sob:

I am really impressed by the extensive knowledge of @F91. I have checked the kit again and confirmed there are no parts for the huge booster. Here is what the completed Psycho Zaku would look like. To my surprise, we the builders can decide between a complete arm vs a small shoulder fragment. As you can see above, I prefer to give the Zaku an arm :slightly_smiling_face:

As for the beam bazooka you mention, you cannot build it with the provided parts. I suspect the missing parts should be identical to those from Char’s Dom, which is possibly why they are not included in this kit. However, you can build a complete Zaku machine gun, bazooka, rocket launcher and heat hawk. As a side note, you also have the option of building a normal version head.

1 Like

Thank you. :blush: But actually not that knowledgeable, just done a bit of search that was all. Unfortunately, beside the normal promo stuffs, not that much information for both P-Bandai kits around. There were people that built them and display them, but pretty much no one shown the instruction manuals or the part trees like Dalong do in the reviews. So with the information gathered, came to the conclusion that both P-Bandai kit allows you to build the core kits, but instead of all the armaments and stuffs, you get debris field parts and battle damaged parts. The good thing was that for both kits, they do have both normal and battle damaged to allow the builders to non damaged or battle damaged MS.

Good to see the mix up build, not always have to be damaged based on what they included, it can also be very little partial damaged.

Anyway, back to the main thing.

Have not been dealing with water slide decal, dry transfer, or stickers, pretty much since dealing with Gunpla, what will be said will likely sounded stupid. So based on the promo picture and compared,

(Picture borrowed from Gundamkitscollection)

It does not seemed to be that bad, well you have the kit so you should also have picture after decal being applied. Though you might want to take care of of the little air bubble part, borrowed your picture by the way, that the little arrow was pointing,

Since it was water slide decal, maybe you can reapply it to take care of it, or use a needle to poke just a little hole and squeeze the air out. Though maybe you want to wait for someone with more experience to weight in before attempt to take care of the bubble part. As mentioned, total noob on them.

If you were referring to the discoloration on the lower part of the mono eye, then that does take a bit of experience to fix it. You can probably use some paint to take care of that.

Or, sort of completely off the way, you can print or have someone make the decal for you to replace it. Read it in one of the post probably a year or so back, that you can make your own water slide decal. You can probably have scanned the picture per manual, again borrowed your picture, with the little red circle,

Since manual mentioned that you need to make cuts, edit it in some way, then make sure it was to scale and printed it out to make a replacement. Though as typing, that sounded like a lot of work. Not sure if you wish to pursuit that route though.

Edit: So after some searching, found https://thosegundamguys.org/decal-creation-tutorial/ which was also mentioned in the forum threads "What Kit Should I get?" & Recommendations and Creating your own Decal template

There was also the thread Would this work on ....

There was also mentioned of Samuel Decal which can make custom decal…

Sorry cannot be much of help. Would help more on the decal, but have neither kit nor really attempted to get them before…

Did you use decal softener on the waterside decals?

1 Like

Here are a few pictures of the lower body and the backpack. The instructions in general do look quite familiar and remind me of my Char’s Zaku 2.0 (the only Zaku I have) that I assembled a long time ago. I think it is fair to assume that this Psycho Zaku shares the same frame with Zaku 2.0. If anyone find my speculation inaccurate, please correct me. I am very thankful to have the plastic sheets as the materials covering the tubes on the head, waist and legs. The “beads on a thread” design in Zaku 2.0 is a nightmare. I can still recall years from now that I had to cut all little connector parts nicely from the liner for each “bead”, and then push them one by one into a coil :weary: For some reasons there was very large fiction between the beads and the coil. Don’t forget this process is to be repeated 5 times!

@F91 Thank you again for the extensive information. In response to your suggestion of re-applying the decal, I prefer to leave it as it is. I have used mark setter before the application of the burn effect decal, hence its removal is going to be a very challenging job with the risk of shredding the decal into fragments. In fact, the surface for application is like a rocky mountain. When I examine the decal again, I think it is an elevated surface rather than an air bubble.

@Rxslinger I have used marker setter. Otherwise, the decals can fall off very easily after all the moisture dries up. I will snap a picture when I get home and hopefully we are talking about the same thing.

1 Like

Well, Gundam Thunderbolt happened during the One Year War, 0079 time, so the Zaku variants pretty much limited to the Zaku I and Zaku II. Since Psycho Zaku looked nothing like Zaku I, then it must be a Zaku II variant. And since the high mobility Zaku II, the common R-1 and R-2 were all considered as MS-06R, so it sharing parts with normal MS-06F, J, S, whatever else letter there was, should not be of too much of surprise. Also, when searching for Japanese spelling of Psycho Zaku last week, came across the wiki https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/MS-06R_Zaku_II_High_Mobility_Type_(Reuse_"P"_Device) , it basically stated that Psycho Zaku was pretty much normal MS-06R with all the special equipment and stuffs built into it with additional armament. So yeah, it was a Zaku II.

Besides, Bandai was known to do these things such as recoloring and reuse the old mold. Save money and time on development and redesigning. The MG Unicorn variants were the victim of such practice. Granted, they did a little redesign here and there, but not nearly enough to fix all the problems. That was why pretty much all the MG Unicorn variants, except the redesigned MGEX Unicorn, shared similar problems. Kind of like how Microsoft did with their Windows software…but that will be off topics…

It will be up to you if you wish to redo the decal. But if you ever do wish to replace it, you can try the information provided. Cannot guarantee good results though. Personally, will replace it, but that was pretty much do not deal with decals, stickers, and dry transfers.

As for the mono-eye area, maybe it was the reflection from the picture that makes the mentioned part looked a little weird but looked okay in person. Pretty much why pictures do not always present the subject as it should. Often time too little but sometimes too much.

In any case, your previous pictures do not show the glittering part of the paint that much, but in these pictures, it seemed the red have glittering effect. What kind of paint were they?

Looking forward to the complete build and its fight with Gundam Thunderbolt.

1 Like