Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury

Sunrise has teased a brand new TV anime in the works “The Witch from Mercury”. Aside from the logo and title which was revealed via a new website, not much else is known about the project - not even if it is UC based or a new AU Gundam series…but whatever it is, it’s coming 2022.

Thoughts? If it is a new AU then I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing something a bit different like low level magic in Gundam. :thinking:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was some sort of SD Gundam show.

The style of the title and the title itself don’t seem like they fit a SD show. I think the witch part might refer to someone with psychic powers, telekinesis, etc. something along those lines maybe.

Sunrise also revealed that it is currently working on a film titled Cucuruz Doan’s Island, also releasing in 2022. It will be a film adaptation of an episode from the original Mobile Suit Gundam series of the same name.

I would not be surprised if they’re adapting the Doan’s Island manga rather than just making a theatrical version of the infamous lost episode from the original TV anime. :thinking:

Would not be surprise if they just got lazy and use scenes from original TV anime and called it “New Translation”… :neutral_face:

There will also be a spin off from the Iron Blooded Orphans, but there do not seemed to have an official name yet.

Wondering if they will be doing a Macross type for Witch from Mercury, with songs and stuffs… Because Bandai’s Chief Gundam Officer, did not know that was a position, stated that they are working to “create a work that even young generations will support”, not sure what that means, https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-09-15/sunrise-reveals-gundam-the-witch-from-mercury-1st-new-gundam-tv-anime-in-7-years/.177386

The font for Witch from Mercury though, seemed weirdly familiar… :thinking:

Speaking of the title, it definitely evokes memories of Scirocco’s epithet of “The Man from Jupiter” so I wonder if it will be another UC anime. :thinking:

I’m hoping it expands the uc universe. Theres not much mention of mercury, venus, or mars, theres just jupiter.

Hey you never know.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the “Cucuruz Doan’s Island” only in the original Japanese version of Mobile Suit Gundam? Wasn’t it cut from the US release?

There’s a manga version of it? What’s it about? Is the story about his time a a soldier and it lead up to him deciding to quit Zeon and live on the Island?

Basically.

Oh so its based more on Gundam Origins. I’ll have to look for it.

Mars was mentioned in the Gundam F90 manga, where Zeon remnants fled to and became Mars Zeon Independence Army. So it would be just Mercury and Venus.

Well considering we’ve had enemies form the moon(Moon Race), Mars(Vagan), Jupiter(Jupiter Empire), and Venus(G-IT corpse), I guess Mercury is the next logical step for Gundam.

Seems like kind of a hostile place to choose if you ask me. One can make the case for Mars, the moons of Jupiter, and arguably for Venus, but Mercury? Given that planet’s orbit and proximity to the sun, I can’t see it being a viable place. Then again, with terraforming anything is possible I suppose.