MG Strike Freedom - an awesome old-school kit

First of all, I do not have a thing with Freedom / Strike Freedom. It was the price that I couldn’t resist - only about ~$59 equivalent in USD for a full burst mode.

One aspect that leaves me clueless is that if Bandai has decided to have gold plating, why don’t they do it for all the yellow parts? There are lots of redundant parts of the palm. I tried to repaint the obvious parts in gold (exposed parts in the chest, etc), such that they look less plastic. All the connections were left as they were because I don’t want to break anything. The chest mega canon (what it is called actually?) is the gold-plated parts for your reference.

While this kit is made a decade ago, there is nothing really there to complain. Both its lines and articulation are very top-notch! Below is a picture inspired by the scene of Strike Freedom turning back and shot off a funnel of Legend Gundam.

If you have visited Gundam Front Tokyo (Former Gundam Base), there was a 1:1 chest statue of Strike Freedom. The dragoons of this MG basically have the same lines except that each dragoon was simply 2 large pieces combined instead of having separate gold parts. This is why I had a little bit extra work =) Overall I do enjoy this old-school kit!

2 Likes

According to MAHQ, the torso canon was called MGX-2235 “Callidus” multi-phase beam cannon.

I have always been under the impression that Bandai didn’t plate all the yellow parts for multiple reasons. One, being to keep the overall cost of the kit down. Two, plating the frame adds another layer to the parts, which could cause issues when it comes to tolerances.