G.M. or Jim?

Ok, this is something that bugs me, My favorite Federation Grunt/workhorse suit
the GM.
but I had a discussion with one of my Gundam buddies, he was admiring my Gundam collection and say my GM sniper, and said “wow, Hands down “JIM” Sniper II is the coolest.”
I shuddered a little, and corrected him, and said “Yes, Jee Emm(GM) sniper II is pretty awesome!”
anyway we started talking and debated if it was pronounced GM or Jim.
I went to my trusted Gundam collection and showed that in the English track of 0080, 0083, and 08th MS team they all called it the G.M. (Jee Emm)[Just like the letters)
BUT my plan backfired when he suggested I switch it to Japanese Audio, boy did I feel silly…
In Japanese they call them Jims or rather jms (j’m) but I guess in when they brought it over to the states they decided to call them GM’s at least in certain series and Video Games.
Except in a translation of Blue Destiny (or maybe it was Lost war Chronicles) I have, they flat out called the Jim’s.

Now I’d like to keep an open mind, Jim could be a Nickname given to the Mobile suits as a slang, Like Bird, or angel for a plane. Military folks do it all the time.
Giving nicknames to friendly and enemy weapons. B-52 is a Buff(Big ugly fat fellows) Mp-44 was the Burp gun.
and so on…

but as an official designation, its a jim? of course its spelled GM but pronouncing it as such goes against everything I learned in Kindergarten.
BUT! counter point, the name is in the Title! RGM-79 that in all audio tracks is Spelling each word out. its not the “reg’m dash seventy-nine”
No Its RGM.

I don’t know its not important but a Pet peeve of mine, and this forum could use some good discussion .
I prefer GM
but If its in a military Slang I’ll accept Jim
Which do you prefer?

//youtu.be/J1Qg2k_t5hk

Start at 4:10
[video=youtube_share;9ZULhqmhv3o]http://youtu.be/9ZULhqmhv3o?t=4m11s[/video]

“jim” is the slang for it because in the military, soldiers tend make the abbrivations into words, like Forward Operating Base, or abbrivated into F.O.P., most soldiers will just say Fop

Okay, so G.M. stands for Gundam Mass-production. So, ironically, despite how people want to strictly classify Gundams-- those things are technically a type of Gundam.

But, putting that little twist aside, there is something one has to understand about the Japanese language and culture. Even when they want to put something in English to make it “cooler”, they butcher the English language to suit their own needs. It is kind of weird, but English is used liberally in fashion, games, and anime, to the point that it isn’t unusual to see children with something really inappropriate splashed across their clothing in big block letters and plenty of Japanese games are easy to play even if one can’t read any hiragana, katakana or kanji because everything vital to know is already in English…

In fact, any Japanese person who has graduated high school has taken 6 years of English language courses. And plenty take supplemental courses above that at cram schools. But less than one in a thousand is capable of halfway decently holding a basic conversation in the most simple of English. Oddly though, Japanese use English words every single day-- but turn it into Japanese letters leading to the word being absolutely butchered beyond recognition. They use the wrong vowels, add extra vowels, replace some of the consonant sounds… this happens to some words English has borrowed from Latin languages, but not nearly to the same extent.

Furthermore, Japanese LOVE to reduce words down to short two-syllable words. This is particularly true if the original name of something was two words. The most famous example is turning Pocket Monsters into Pokemon. This is incredibly common and done with quite a lot of things.

When one understands this, one can begin to look at what it would be natural for a Japanese person to do to G.M. So the first part is not too difficult. Ji sounds like G. So that part is not difficult. It is the M that gives problems. The most correct way of doing this would be Em(u). If one used this, and paused in the middle of the word, then one would have Ji-Em(u) which would sound very close to how it is said in English.

But, again, Japanese-- even when using English words-- could care less what sounds right. In Japanese one rarely switches from one vowel to another in the middle of a single word and certainly doesn’t put a stop between two vowels (although it is very common for words to have a stop between two identical consonants). As such, they aren’t going to say Ji-Em(u). They are going to drop the E sounds from the word and end up with Ji-M(u) or, when said quickly, Jim(u).

So armed with this understanding you have a choice…

1. The series is created in Japan by Japanese. Therefore everything the Japanese do is right within this context. Therefore the correct word to use is Jim(u).
  2. This is an example of Japanese attempting to use English and failing utterly, thus butchering the word they are using. As a native English speaker, one can naturally and easily use the word they are attempting but failing to use. So, use Ji-Em(u), because that’s what they would be saying if it was proper and natural for them to do so.

I often face this problem every day. When I see an English word being used, I either have to try to speak it in the Japanese way screwing with certain consonants, using the wrong vowels and adding unnecessary proper vowels in order to make sure I am understood, which makes me feel a bit embarrassed as it sounds absolutely stupid to my ears and probably to others as I struggle to say the word incorrectly… or I can say the word properly in English and have a 50/50 chance of getting a blank stare in return as they have no idea what I am talking about.

I have lived in UK for past 7 years or so and from english point of view GM is Jim when thinking about military slang. i really dont care whatever they actually meant in original since they used american army as a prototype for Federation it is more prudent to use the words as an american would use them. Japanese is a complex language and trying to make it sound japanese would be a mistake since they tried to sound american.

i watched both of the videos (can’t really say that I remember the Japanese audio saying jim tho or in any Gundam UC series) besides that it sounds like they are just having troubles with the way you should say the words

I would have first thought “Jim” was a westernized way of how Japanese seiyuu’s would go about saying it, but now that you guys bring it up, it is called Jim as a military slang, isn’t it? In the original MSG they where originally referred to as Jim. But on thing erks me, why would green military members refer to it as Jim instead of GM?

At the moment, I’m comfortable with Gee Emm.

Yep its military slang! Honestly I would say both are right! Personally I like “Jim” but GM works just as well.

Well it isnt really a slang its just certain letter and number combinations can be said as another word in a conversation. I guess it is a way of making machines more human, by giving them a name that comes from their official designation. Plus it is sometimes easier to say a name than the official designation.

I got friends in the military so I’m used to short-hand names for designations (they say them so often). I would go for the standard GM if I was talking to someone not familiar with it, but every other time, it’s either “Jim” or even “Gim”.