Enjoying these MG 1.0 kits once again

After getting a new display case, these older kits finally see the light again. Probably they are as old as I am, if not older. Here are some honest thoughts. First, let’s start with GP-01Fb. With a core fighter inside the chest, the chest articulation is very limited. The shield can either be connected to the rear of the arm through a square connection or be held by the hand. If you choose the later, the shield always lean to the front. The only way to solve this issue is to glue the grip part of the shield to the left hand. The right hand can neither hold the rifle nor sabre tightly. The same is true for GP-02A in terms of the failure of the hand to hold the weapons firmly. Unless you have another support stand, there is no way to display the massive shield together.

For a long time I have been thinking of reproducing the scene in the opening theme. This is how I decided to turn these awesome, good-looking 1.0 kits into statues by gluing the necessary parts.

An irrelevant question - does anyone find it is close to impossible to get an affordable display case these days? This detolf case from Ikea has been in the state of out of stock for a while. Not until I visited the store for the fourth time the previous week, I managed to get the last one in the self-help warehouse. Those on Amazon have price tags that are beyond ridiculous. I could have bought a nice sofa from Ikea with that price range.

2 Likes

The GP02 was my first MG. Back then, I was amazed by it. Today, I can only hope that one day it’ll get a 2.0.

As for the Detolf, I love them. I now have 4. As I picked up 2 more over the weekend from the Ikea store in Charlotte.

2 Likes

While some older Master Grades do not seemed to age too well, but need to keep in mind that some of them were released almost 30 years ago. In fact, before Master Grade line, some of the mobile suits never seen the 1/100 scale, at least from what can be recalled and the details wise were definitely lacking.

Master Grade line definitely changed some things around in GunPla world. They started to focusing on internal details and have gimmicks like core fighter actually able to dock to form the Gundam and such. Sadly, it does seem like Bandai is favoring HG line a little more these days and Master Grade and Perfect Grade lines were in the decline.

Back to the GPxx ones. If you only have the kits posing in mind and not moving them around or playing with them too much, with articulation problems and unable to pose some fairly difficult poses aside, they were actually pretty decent kits. Pretty decent costs too. The better parts of the older MGs were the instruction full of detailed drawings and the fairly good cardboard of the kit when you open the box, but most of those got done away.

Regardless of whether GPxx Gundams were appealing or not, one thing for certain was that GP02A was pretty beefy kit and GP01, regardless of original or Full Burnern, was one that fully integrated the core fighter as essential for the kit.

The first MG gotten was, if remembered correctly, was RX-78-3. Then gotten the RX-78-2 in the subsequent purchases. Cannot remember much about where it was from, but that was definitely the beginning of the permanent backlog. :rofl:

Detolfs were okay. Got couple of them years ago when they were cheaper. But then never really displaying the kits anymore, so they did sit in the box for quite a long time. Do not really like the unadjustable shelves though and the frame could be slightly beefier for sure but that would most likely decrease usable space.

1 Like

One point I forgot to mention is that the armor parts of GP-01 were a kind of green instead of white as what would you expect from a typical Gundam. It took me some effort in colour correction. As you said, I am fully aware that both of them are one of the early kits in the MG line-up. While they are simple in every aspect, they truly more reassemble of what they actually look like in the animation. I don’t have any complaints. I have lost the beam rifle of GP01 during relocation. Besides, the price of action stands including those non-Bandai ones has soared. At this moment, I have no plan to put the shield on GP02 :sweat_smile: These are also the reasons to turn them into statues.

It is very true that Bandai has gradually abandoned the MG line. For me, I prefer something bigger in size so both the RG and HG are probably too small for me. They are more like the MIA (Mobile Suit in Action) products in the early 2000s in my opinion. Besides, the price of some RGs is comparable to a MG. This is just outrageous.

Is your Gundam unit 3 the original 1.0 or 2.0? I have the 2.0 version and the colour scheme that comes with the kit is not correct but it was just a snap build to fulfil my desire to collect the Grandpla Gundam series :joy:.

The Detolf is the most affordable display case. I have tried visiting some furniture stores in town but I cannot think of a reason to justify spending $400 and sometimes $600 on a few pieces of glasses…

1 Like

Hm, been a while, so forgot what MG GP-01’s armor color looked like. However, been playing the Gundam Wars game from Line for a while and the GP-01 color there seemed to be light greyish with a hint of blue tint. Not too sure what should the more accurate color though.

If you want, can recast the beam rifle for you and also testing the skill of recasting, should be the GP-01 Full Burnern beam rifle, but that is only if relocated the kit, cannot recall where it was at right now… :sweat_smile:

Having own few RGs right now, can definitely see why some preferred RG as those do have some more details and improvement from the other grades. But the problem with RG, at least with one such as the Crossbone Gundam X-1, was that they attempted to cram many things into it and Crossbone Gundam which was already smaller sized mobile suit compared to the earlier Universal Century ones, the kit itself became a bit of a mess. When it was being presented for release or from the reviewers, it definitely looked good, but only when it holds up. The one that previously acquired, the core fighter has fairly hard fit. The MG one was not too good, but RG one, being small sized was harder to fit it. And parts of its shoulder armor kept wanting to fall off whenever it was moved…

Anyway, enough of the RG talk. Hopefully they will be releasing a bit more MG later on, making bigger kit, except logistic-wise, should be slightly easier than making smaller kits with bunch of details.

Actually have both the original RX-78-3, or as most preferred to call it as 1.0, and the 2.0. Did knew that it has bright purple color than the original but it was not until you mentioned the color difference and realized that it was almost white than grey. Never really opened the 2.0 one to check the parts like used to and the color on the box was definitely misleading… From Dalong’s review of it, http://dalong.net/reviews/mg/m127/m127_p.htm , it seemed the one with bit more improvement and pretty much correct color would be the RX-78-3 One Year War version, which apparently was a special kit as seen on Dalong, http://dalong.net/reviews/mg/ml16/ml16_p.htm .

Detolf was affordable, but now it seemed to cost about twice as much, and that was before these couple years. As mentioned, the only complain about it was nonadjustable shelving and that definitely hard to work with some of the kits/items. Otherwise, it was okay display case, as long as you can find it at lower than the current price. Ikea do have a slightly better metal shelve with glass, but cost almost 3 times more than Detolf right now…

To clarify the previous reply, the actual kit that started the permanent backlog was the original 1/100 F91 kit. But the one that started the MG collection was the RX-78-3.

I have those kits as well but they are still in the box. I bought them when they came out but until now I haven’t have a chance to built and paint them. I also have the RX-78-2, Char Zaku, and Zaku F/J (all of them 1.0) I bought when they first came out. Until now they are still in the box. For me, I don’t play with those kits so I don’t need them to be able to do crazy poses.