I decided today to do some more practice on some items I’m going to try out on the next build and put aside practice on applying gloss black enamel until tomorrow.
First up was practice on scribing panel lines. I learned plenty when I did it for the Delta Plus and Dynames, but I realized after painting and panel lining that the lines were too wide and too deep, not to mention kinda sloppy as well. Last week, on a whim, I again googled up how to scribe panel lines and found another method that seemed like a better fit for me. Essentially, it involves plotting the potential lines out using dots (either with a pencil or with a needle) then connecting the dots using a guide. Compared to before where I drew the lines and then placed Dymo tape as guides, this one took less time to prepare because it didn’t really need Dymo tape. Instead, I used my small metal ruler so I was able to get the scriber on the desired spot quickly. Also found a good method of joining the different directions of a line together without much risk of unnecessary damage and it involves placing the tool at the end of one line, then scribe from that point, and so on. That troubled me often before and I had to fill those mistakes.
Another thing that I wanted to change up was the tool set. I used needles of various sizes, a slightly blunt hobby knife, and a Tamiya P-Cutter II. It dawned on me that this could have been why my lines were too deep (scored the lines too deep with a knife and needle) and too wide (P-Cutter scores trenches on a surface and combined with a deep initial score, the resulting line can end up being too wide). So I skipped the needles and P-Cutter and went with the hobby knife plus a Squadron Scribing Tool I bought some weeks ago since I wanted to try it out. Here are the results. I did some testing to see how many strokes will work best (marked on the pic), but I won’t find out until I paint and gloss coat. Partway, I decided to skip the hobby knife and use only the Squadron (again marked on the pic).
I’ll get to practice applying enamel gloss black on these tomorrow since the primer should be set by then.
Speaking of paint, I got impatient and decided to also practice on spraying enamel metallics using those spoons. Choice of colors are: Chrome Silver, Anthracite Gray Metallic, German Silver Metallic, and Steel. Here are the results:
I think I need more thinner for Chrome Silver due to the larger dots of paint coming out of the AB, along with a good wet coat, but it looks nice. I wanted to see what happens if I used mineral spirits to thin so I did it for the German Silver. It certainly behaved differently, almost as if no paint was getting sprayed at all. An unexpected benefit of the mineral spirits is that it allowed for an easy wet coat; After the paint session, I touched the spoon and it was stupidly smooth and very reflective compared to the others. I won’t be using mineral spirits, but it was still nice to see. Anthracite Gray was difficult somewhat because it’s a dark metallic, darker than Gun Metal, and the only noteworthy thing is that the resulting paint job was somewhat grainy in texture. Steel caught me by surprise because it kept sputtering in the AB and the results were very rough and grainy. I probably needed to thin it more than 1:1 ratio. I have an acrylic version of it so I’ll give that a try too, in case the enamel version is too uncooperative.