Baufrin's experiments in minature techniques for painting Gundam kits

So starting small here. Warning first time wip thread. first time trying to use paint techniques I am familiar with on a Gundam. I intend to alter the primary color scheme on beginning D gundam I have a couple of test primed a couple of pieces. These are acrylic based paints the parts I have primed are done using color primers. I have used Skeleton bone, and Dragon red. Available here ( http://www.spikeybits.com/servlet/the-Army-Painter-cln-Primers/Categories ). I have not washed the runners to attempt to do this as a worst case scenario. So far no primary pieces have been injured with acrylics. So on to the pictures…

Well any thoughts or opinions?

and a little progress

Watching with interest. I’ll give an opinion once I get a better idea how this turns out.

Quick question, though. How many coats did it take to get that red to not bleed through the white?

about 3-5. 2-4 white washes and one coat at a consistency of milk. Mind you this is working with 5 drops of paint. 1 drop for each color. Part of the challenge for me here is that what I generally am working with has maybe 0-8 points of articulation. 0 points is the easiest to paint.

No kidding. I went from Gunpla to Warmachine/Reaper miniatures, back to Gunpla. Definitely apples and oranges.

and not as much progress but a little something.

in this picture we cleaned up the black a bit now some of you might wonder why I left part of the sprue on the head. well it was an accident. However I have decided that I am going to try to work with it. If it works out I may submit it as a tip/trick.

Gun metal on the little nub we will clean that up later

and getting the eye area preped up for coloring.

If I am going to hand paint faces I think I will paint then assemble this eye area is a pain in the backside.

Thats usually a good idea. I use the reverse wash for painting gundam eyes. Hope this helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHUYvZXcf_0

Been a bit busy with real life. tonight I am testing washing parts in a dish washer we will see how that turns out… Also hope to get some painting done tonight.

in the mean time here is a pic of my wet palette

and here are some pics of paint separation no worries paint separation is normal it is why you should shake or stir your paints.

Paint separation…oh how I loathe thee. I had to deal with that frequently when I was painting my KA with Vallejo. I eventually got into the habit of agitating the paint on the palette after I painted an area for longer than five minutes.

What is a wet palette?

A sponge with paper on top. You put a bit of water in the sponge, and it keeps your paint from drying too fast. I have the exact same one he pictured.

Oh thats nifty. Is it for hand brushing? And is it only for acrylic?

Yes and yes.

Thanks for catching those questions for me I have been tied up with more real life and work. The paint separation was about a week after I had set up the palette. all it takes on that pallet is a brief stir to get it back into usable condition. A wet pallet will save you money if you use it wisely. I theory you could do some thing similar with other paint bases. but you would need some thing to act like a sponge that would stand up to the liquid chemical. Generally it would be the liquid you thin the paint with.

Oh thats interesting. So would you be able to just poor some enamel thinker down their then use it for enamel? Ams just keep adding a bit more when it evaporates?

in theory not sure on what material sponge would handle the enamel thinner and then you would need a container that could handle the chemical. Fumes may be the other hazard. Possibly a natural sponge maybe or just try several sponges soaked in thinner and do it out side and see which man made sponge survives the thinner. I used bakers parchment for the paper in the palette. her is a tutorial on how to make a wet palette for acrylic paints.

http://thehairypainter.blogspot.com/2013/03/how-to-make-wet-pallet.html

I liked the idea of a wet pallet, but I didn’t end up using mine too much. When I was actually still into painting miniatures, I (you’re going to cringe at this) thinning and painted directly from the pot. Every single time. I still do it, and my results speak for themselves.