Acrylic gloss paints

Hi guys,

Can acrylic gloss/metallic paints achieve this kind of effect?

I’m considering buying an airbrush but only for working with acrylics. I’ll be spraying in an apartment, and not close by to any window so it would be difficult to install ventilation. I’ve read that using acrylics without ventilation is still ok since the fumes are not as dangerous as lacquer or enamel.

thanks in advance!

Yes, they can. How you achieve that, is to put a base coat of silver, then do a coat of clear red, green, or whatever you want the color of it to be. Tamiya’s acrylics and lacquer thinner are the best for airbrushing. I wouldn’t just use acrylics for this though. If you just use acrylics, your silver might not be bright enough.

You can, although there’s a chance it won’t be as shiny. And I think that particular kit was done with a candy coat where the metallics are sprayed first, then overlayed with a clear paint.

If possible, you should still have some sort of ventilation in place even when working with acrylics, especially metallic paints. Just to be on the safe side.

Edit: Darn, Bossguy posted first, haha.

If you do end up using Lacquer thinner with acrylics. You’ll need one of this (if it’s only you in the apartment):

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Face-piece-Reusable-Respirator-Assembly/dp/B000FTEDMM/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Thanks guys. Sounds like I could spray paint lacquer silver outdoors and then coat over with clear acrylic on the airbrush.

I’ve got another unrelated question.

At the moment I’m doing unpainted builds and spraying a lacquer top coat. I have several new cans of lacquer top coat lying around. I understand that I can’t use them on an acrylic painted model.

Can I spray my models with acrylic top coat first, then spray the lacquer coat on top of that?

You sure can. Get yourself a respirator though, and some chemical vapor cartridges.

You can actually still use lacquer clear coat on top of acrylic. Just make sure you give the paint a week to cure and spray light mists of the clear coat. That will prevent the lacquer from pooling in any area and possibly eating through the paint, since it will dry rather quickly once it touches the surface.