Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

What's So Great About Metal Builds?

They're so freaking expensive. Is the die cast really worth it? Plus, only two have been made so far. And aren't real grades better representations for the 1/144 scale?

You sorta answered your own question......what's so grea is that they are made of metal.

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

Captain of the 1/72 Brigade
    "The Scale of Tragedy"
    Conrad<Kahrys<Shepard<937<Nasir<Malenko<Nathen

To be honest, I wasn't sure if die cast was metal or not. That is pretty cool, but I still don't think it's worth it. No one is really going to notice the rg freedom from the metal build freedom right?

IDK, I have no interest in either so I haven't looked at them.

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

Captain of the 1/72 Brigade
    "The Scale of Tragedy"
    Conrad<Kahrys<Shepard<937<Nasir<Malenko<Nathen

Administrator
    I've looked at them a time or two. Their biggest draw is the fact that they are made of die cast metal. However, if you look at close up shots, all the details of the MS have been painted on. So there are flaws within the smaller details. And being that they are painted, each one will be different. So there is no telling what yours would look like when you got it. In my opinion, not worth the money. I'd rather have an actual model kit.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

can always kick the idea i had... playing with the idea of getting one, stripping it and starting from scratch on the paintwork... could be a really interesting 'project'.
    http://www.gundamforums.com/image.php?u=11606&type=sigpic&dateline=1344346410

Super Moderator
    Just to clarify, the metal builds are 1/100 scale. Having seen some in person, I can attest to the fact that they are incredible looking. The paint used is stunning in finish and quality. I didn't notice many flaws, but I wasn't able to inspect them super closely.

That said, I don't know why someone would pay that much, unless they didn't have the time or are unable to build Gunpla. Which is conceivable.
    ON TWITTER @TimberNewtype

"Through destruction, new destruction begins"

just like some of the sites, they sell completed/painted kits already done, i just don't get that....take the fun of the accomplishment out if imo...time restraints aside, i fight those all the time...a physical handicap would be about the only excuse that i could accept... lol..
    http://www.gundamforums.com/image.php?u=11606&type=sigpic&dateline=1344346410

I'm an owner of the recently-released Metal Build Freedom and I don't regret having it. What thwalker13 said is correct: the quality of the figure is not always consistent. I saw review screenshots of the Metal Build Freedom when it first came out and there were several reported paint issues. I got mine expecting the same thing, but the only flaw I had was some not-so-great paint application on the V-Fin (which turns out to be very common). The backpack is a pain to keep attached also, due to the general weight of the figure itself. I have to be careful not to touch it when it's on certain poses or else the figure will drop from the backpack. It doesn't help that the stand for it, while very sturdy, happens to mount only on the backpack.

Aside from that, I love the tight joints and the fact that I can man-handle it without worry of anything breaking or cracking. It feels imposing and the details for something like this (die-cast metal figure at 1/100 size) is impressive to me. However, I will admit that compared to something like the RG Freedom, the Metal Build version loses in terms of overall details. Which makes me wonder why they released that instead of something that doesn't have an RG kit already (like the Unicorn, for example).

Supposedly, the next figure in the Metal Build series is the Exia. If it matches the quality of the Metal Build 00 Seven Sword (their "gold standard", heard nothing but praise for it, and it came with a die-cast Raiser Kit too), it might be worth a purchase as well.
    Last edited by Dlinker; September 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM.

Super Moderator
    There is a Metal Composite Unicorn, 1/100 scale, in the Gundam Fix Figuration line. I believe it is #1006. It comes in 2 versions (at least): regular and Prism Coating. I don't know a lot about it, other than it does suffer the usual Unicorn lack of articulation.
    ON TWITTER @TimberNewtype

"Through destruction, new destruction begins"

That's the one with the transformation gimmick that's not made up of fragile glass so it actually works (unlike the MG kits where it's best to leave it in one form only). I almost forgot about that one, and yeah, from the video reviews I've seen, articulation is pretty limited. Stick to the lower-priced Robot Damashii figures if you're looking for a gundam with excellent articulation. The GFFN line has a couple of metal composite figures of the Zeta gundam as well, but I haven't seen or read much about them. I was thinking of getting one since they're a bit like relics nowadays, but I'll go for the upcoming RG kit instead.

In case anyone asks, I bought my Metal Build Freedom because I was too lazy to build the kit version of it. There, I'll be the first to say it .
    Last edited by Dlinker; September 4, 2012 at 5:34 PM.

Super Moderator
    I've played with the Metal Build OO Raiser Seven Swords... They are really worth the price. Nice weight to the figures, great articulation, nice paint apps.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

Yeah, but I think it's worth it only if you're interested in a die-cast figure. For example, if you already have an MG 00 Raiser and pimped it out with decals, great paint job, and the Seven Sword set (pimped out as well), then it's a bit redundant to buy the Metal Build one. Unless you're looking to splurge, of course. Either way, if the quality of the figure is good to begin with, you're gaining something that might be worth a lot of money down the road. That's one of the good things about buying one.