Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 23 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Toonami

Toonami

Did any body ever Watch CN? I you answer yes, do you remember a "Block" called Toonami? Remember back in 2008 when they "killed" it? I do. I remember when i used to come home from school and watch classics like DBZ (my mom still has nightmares every night scared ill screamm "KAMEHAMEHA!!!!!!!!!!!" in the middle of the night) or what about Outlaw Star or Ruroni kenshin or Big O Better yet, how about Reboot? In Fact, Toonami is the Place where I was introduced to Gundam. Sadly, Toonami has been off the air for 3 years running now, and I think i speak for all of us now that i wish CN would bring back Toonami. And i dont mean the late Toonami i mean GOOD Toonami (with DBZ, Gundams ALL of them except G:dont like G! HISSSS G!, Reboot, Ronin Warriors, and any others Im ashamed of not remembering!) An no wussy shows like the ones they have now(though on the other hand Star Wars: the Clone wars and the anime lineup on AS would make an exellent addittion to the Block), Real good anime we all now regard as treasurses that actually made us think! And Once more, if they do bring it back with all of the above, i believe that their Ratings and their Viewers would go through the Freaking roof! So to my fellow brothers and sisters of anime fandom, I ask you again. Do you Remember good ol Toonami?

It's pointless to bring back something that doesn't work anymore. If they bring back Toonami it's endless filtered anime, it won't be uncensored as it's a kids channel. Besides, CN has it's own shows it can produce and create, in a cheaper way than dubbing anime and licensing it for US.

I'd actually prefer it if FUNimation and Bandai got their own channels instead.

In the US? Hell Yeah! Now THAT i would love to see!

Yeah for the US. I think it would bring massive attention back to the anime market that could bring titles of anime not considered for US release to us.

Same should also apply to the manga released, may open up for all those Japan only Gundam stories.

You took the words right outta my mouth!LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyon View Post
    You took the words right outta my mouth!LOL
    Or since we're on the internet "I took the words right outta your head". LOL!

i'll drink to that!

Zeta-G
    Toonami itself wouldn't work anymore (for reasons listed by Exia). I do think that Syfy's ani-monday block could have been turned into a success similar to Toonami's peak years, if they had bothered to promote it properly, since Syfy's target audience is lined up pretty well with the anime market's target audience. At least it did before they started shifting from airing actual Sci Fi to airing wrestling and reality shows. Basically, I think that an anime block airing on a channel with the old Sci-Fi's demographics and a proper marketing push (think toonami promos during the Wing/DBZ days) would be more successful than a straight up reboot of toonami on CN. CN's target audience today is much younger than it was in 2000; it is no longer an appropriate home for Toonami style block as a result.
    Last edited by Zeta-G; July 16, 2011 at 4:19 AM.

Ooh! Idea just popped in my head: How about Toonami not as a block on any channel.....But as it's OWN channel?!!!!!!!!Hows about THAT!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta-G View Post
    Toonami itself wouldn't work anymore (for reasons listed by Exia). I do think that Syfy's ani-monday block could have been turned into a success similar to Toonami's peak years, if they had bothered to promote it properly, since Syfy's target audience is lined up pretty well with the anime market's target audience. At least it did before they started shifting from airing actual Sci Fi to airing wrestling and reality shows. Basically, I think that an anime block airing on a channel with the old Sci-Fi's demographics and a proper marketing push (think toonami promos during the Wing/DBZ days) would be more successful than a straight up reboot of toonami on CN. CN's target audience today is much younger than it was in 2000; it is no longer an appropriate home for Toonami style block as a result.
    That got my hopes so high up, damn shame.

Though I do watch the wrestling, the reality shows are getting overdone as they're on everyday on Sci-Fi, while WWE Smackdown is a Friday night only (which airs 8-10 and could be used to show anime after that).

To be honest I think it won't last for a couple years. Well the reality show part, the wrestling is better quality (as in picture quality) on their new channel compared to their old one. And gets pretty high ratings compared to the other Sci-Fi shows.

Yeah Likwise on the Si-Fi.
    What do u all think about a US Channel devoted strictly anime (Example callingit Toonami in honor of the old block)?
    Last edited by Kenico; July 16, 2011 at 9:13 AM.

Zeta-G
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenyon View Post
    Yeah Likwise on the Si-Fi.
    What do u all think about a US Channel devoted strictly anime (Example callingit Toonami in honor of the old block)?
    Its name is Anime Network. ADV ran it before splitting itself up like Voltron. The problem is that it was left to die on extended service digital cable and satellite; few people outside of anime geeks (and ADV customers) even knew about it. Toonami worked because the anime block had some demographic crossover with Cartoon Network, a relatively successful/popular (at least at the time) cable station. Syfy had the demographics (Trekkies, Stargaters, and Battlestar fans; read: geeks), but it never made the attempt to push the shows featured on its anime block to fans of its existing shows. Toonami was pushed during regular CN; it only started to fade (as a whole) when CN, as a network, decided to aim for a younger audience following 9/11. Syfy had the shows and the audience, it just needed Toonami's marketing team to bring the two together.

Hells yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea after my Generations (class of 2012). After we became 12 CN grew very week in cartoons, they all became very childish and now they all just suck. I wish Gundam's still came on tv. BTW i have charter cable anyone know of any gundam shows that come on tv?

none right now i dont think of, but when in doubt, theres always the good ol NET!

"Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

Sword Freak