Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Toonami

This is awesome, one bad thing, I don't have CN so I might have to invade my cousins house while this airs, or wait for the dub'd DVDs. About time CN played something Decent out side of AS. Speaking of adult Swim there's a perfect youtube series that's been trying to get into it, and I belive they could, look up Leo&Satan and then you'll lol I promise it.
    "I don't like jumps. Because you know if I want to fly I would be a pilot not sitting in a car"-Walter Rohrl Two time World Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Exia View Post
    I wouldn't apologize, while I am giving it hope, I'll believe it when I see Gundam pop up on my show search for my DVR.
    Likewise. and ZRC, hope your cousin wont get annoyed by your constant invasion of his home by you during "Turn A" Season. lol

"Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

Sword Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Zeon's RedComet View Post
    This is awesome, one bad thing, I don't have CN so I might have to invade my cousins house while this airs, or wait for the dub'd DVDs. About time CN played something Decent out side of AS. Speaking of adult Swim there's a perfect youtube series that's been trying to get into it, and I belive they could, look up Leo&Satan and then you'll lol I promise it.
    Well I actually watch all those shows, so I find CN to be great. Turn A is getting released dubbed this fall, it was announced along side the MSG dvds. I'm pretty sure Zeta-G made a post about Turn A and MSG.

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

Captain of the 1/72 Brigade
    "The Scale of Tragedy"
    Conrad<Kahrys<Shepard<937<Nasir<Malenko<Nathen

yeah he did, but i get a feeling he never saw it getting on a "Major" network. Truthfully, i would have liked it to be aired on G4. god i love Xplay. anyway. cant wait to see Turn A. Honestly if its true, this will be my first time watching the series.

“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

Sword Freak

Zeta-G
    The source article credited in the Wikipedia article (ANN) doesn't even mention cartoon network (unless it's buried in the unreliable comments section).
    Even Bandai Entertainment can't possibly be stupid enough to (voluntarily) put Turn A on CN after what happened to MSG. If it was X, I'd be a more likely to believe the story (although I'd still have my doubts), but Turn A airing on CN of all places!? If that rumor is true, Turn A is doomed, and it will set back the eventual US releases of all of the other Gundam series (AGE excluded). CN's main audience is too young and AS's audience is too simple-minded. I'd love to be wrong (in this case) and for for Turn A to be successful on American TV, but it won't be successful on TV, especially if the channel it airs on is CN.

A dub, on the other hand, sounds possible, since even Zeta got a dub.

even if the Network angel goes south, lets hope they also release it Dubbed of course on dvd. also, i hope CN isnt the only network that will have the privilege to air this work of art.lol

Sword Freak

Zeta-G
    Turn A is getting a DVD release, no worries there. The only real question about those is if there will be a dub or not. Bandai has ordered a dub for every Gundam TV series it has licensed; the only Gundam projects, licensed for the US, that did not get dubs are IGLOO and the Zeta compilation movies (the MSG trilogy has a [horrible] dub, Bandai just hasn't put it on anything other than VHS).

So in a sense there will be a gundam X in the near Future?

Sword Freak

Zeta-G
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenyon View Post
    So in a sense there will be a gundam X in the near Future?
    I wouldn't say near future. Someday perhaps, but not the near future. Bandai previously said that they will eventually license all of the TV series (mainline, not SD), but that was when Wing was huge on CN. More recently they said Turn A was what they were releasing this year (this was after a series of hints about ZZ). Personally, I think we'll get ZZ before we get X or Victory.

Ill take ZZ or X heck ill take em both, i like em both, as long they are dubbed and in all their glory.

Sword Freak

Well even if it dosen't air, I'm all good, a DVD will satisfiy me, I hope they Dub X and ZZ still, I want my ZZ!!! I mean Z get's dubed, but not the continuation lol wut? (Zeta being my fav series and ZZ I allways liked)

Igloo has a License for NA but it hasn't been Dubed yet? Well that's odd, do they have Subed DVD's at least? I can care less about the Zeta compilation movies as I've seen some fan dubs of parts of them and I think (along with the MSG movies) that the series is better IMO.

About AS airing it, I don't see that happening anytime soon, it all has gone to crude humor for the most part, and yes while I enjoy crude humor and shows with lot's of it, it killed the Anime aspect of AS. :/
    Last edited by Zeon's RedComet; September 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM. Reason: Hold the phone!?!?
    "I don't like jumps. Because you know if I want to fly I would be a pilot not sitting in a car"-Walter Rohrl Two time World Rally Champion

Zeta-G
    Well even if it dosen't air, I'm all good, a DVD will satisfiy me, I hope they Dub X and ZZ still, I want my ZZ!!! I mean Z get's dubed, but not the continuation lol wut? (Zeta being my fav series and ZZ I allways liked)

Igloo has a License for NA but it hasn't been Dubed yet? Well that's odd, do they have Subed DVD's at least? I can care less about the Zeta compilation movies as I've seen some fan dubs of parts of them and I think (along with the MSG movies) that the series is better IMO.

About AS airing it, I don't see that happening anytime soon, it all has gone to crude humor for the most part, and yes while I enjoy crude humor and shows with lot's of it, it killed the Anime aspect of AS. :/
    Both MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War and MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079 were licensed for a subtitle-only North American release by Bandai Visual USA/Honneamise (before it was folded into Bandai-Entertainment as the premium label), but the discs have been discontinued and are incredibly hard (as in nearly impossible) to find; the crap you see on eBay and the like are bootlegs. The print run for IGLOO was very small, since BV USA had been relying on Geneon as their distributor and Geneon went bye bye right before IGLOO's release. It's even harder to find than Dunbine's last few volumes. I got lucky last November, and I was able to buy both volumes of IGLOO from animenation.com. To the best of my knowledge, I bought the last copies of IGLOO that they had in stock.

More on topic, I think X would probably do all right on CN (and it would have done very well, if it, instead of MSG, had aired in 2001 right after Wing's initial run had concluded).
    Last edited by Zeta-G; September 6, 2011 at 10:47 PM.

I'll have to check that out thanks for the link, and curse you if you bought the last copies.

Anyhow I think X would have done better than MSG on CN, MSG got took of the air because of the war based themes (and as we know MSG had that down really well, with all the death and carnage) and well after 9/11 in all the post 9/11 fear, it got the axe, would X have been spared unlike it? I don't know, but I think it would have had a better chance at a full run, and I think it would of had pretty good success rates in NA.

Zeta-G
    I'll have to check that out thanks for the link, and curse you if you bought the last copies.

Anyhow I think X would have done better than MSG on CN, MSG got took of the air because of the war based themes (and as we know MSG had that down really well, with all the death and carnage) and well after 9/11 in all the post 9/11 fear, it got the axe, would X have been spared unlike it? I don't know, but I think it would have had a better chance at a full run, and I think it would of had pretty good success rates in NA.
    9/11 just gave CN the excuse they needed to cancel MSG the first time (they did it again later). The numbers were way down from Wing; this is due to two primary reasons (in my opinion at least): 1) the animation was REALLY dated by the time it aired, and 2) UC doesn't glorify war like Wing and 00 do (both claim to be about throwing away weapons and making peace, but in both cases the Gundams are the aggressors who are "sticking it to the man"). Jumping straight from Wing to the old and very different MSG was just about the worst decision Bandai could have made.

Based on what I've read about X (summaries and the like), I think X would have been a better follow up to Wing than MSG for a number of reasons: 1) Garrod is a very likable guy, who is not a whiner like Kira or Amuro; Duo, who was popular in the US, has a similar personality, 2) X actually explains what Newtypes are without being vague (unlike MSG), 3) X has more than one Gundam, 4) X's animation quality and style is similar to Wing's, 5) X starts off a bit more like a Saturday morning adventure show, before shifting towards more of a traditional UC-style Gundam show later on, and 6) the stigma of being cancelled in Japan would not have mattered to the US market.

I think that if CN had aired X, X would have held onto Wing's audience for 2001, with 0083, 08th MS team, and reruns of X, Wing, and EW maintaining viewers through 2002, until SEED could be far enough along to start getting dubbed. SEED was a traditional Gundam show with modern (for the time) animation and had more flash than the UC; I think that following SEED the Gundam brand would have been established enough in the West for Bandai to go dip into their back catalog without alienating Wing's fans (which is what Bandai did when they jumped from the bishie-filled action show [Wing], to the dated war show [MSG], and then to the hyperactive, over the top fighting show [G]). I guess what I'm trying to say is that, if the Wing's western fans had been given a smoother transition from Wing to the traditional Gundam show, I don't think that Gundam's popularity in the West would have declined nearly as much as it did over the past decade.

I remember first reading about X on the Gundam Project website (I think Wing was nearing the end of its initial run); X caught my attention even then (certainly more than MSG or G did). Most american Gundam fan sites at the time wanted X to be localized more than most of the others as well (Endless Waltz was the exception of course). But as Bandai has shown numerous times since, they never pay attention to what American fans want. The sad thing is that X will probably be the last Gundam series to get localized here, simply because it got canceled in Japan. I'd laugh if that was the case and X managed to be the series that reignited Gundam's popularity in America. It won't happen (certainly not now), but it would be funny if the series they so often kick around in Japan ended up saving them in the West.

I've rambled on long enough now, I think.
    Last edited by Zeta-G; September 7, 2011 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Yeah that's one of the main reasons I liked U.C it dosen't try to pretty it up, war is hell, people die. About Amuro being a whiner, he was only a whiner at first, and in parts of Zeta, but he became a BAMF.

Though yeah pretty much what you said Zeta hit the nail on the head, I think Bamco needs to hit you up for Gundam management in the west lol, you'd have done it a whole lot better than they did. It's sad though like you said the Stigma of being cancelled in Japan means that it'll likely come last even though that dosen't matter, even though X fans have been picking up as of late, or so I've seen, it used to be a cult of followers but it's been geting biger and biger slowly. Heck just designs alone sold be on X. (Reminded me of some U.C. stuff without 100% riping it off.)