Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
    Zeta-G

Humor me, GSAM. Why is this site's discussion...

Limited to PG material, when the main material covered (Gundam) is PG-13? Seriously, even Wing and G have 13 & up labels on them. I have no problem following the rule I was just curious as to why it was PG instead of PG-13.
    Also for swear words are they safe if they are used in Gundam either via dubs or dub (and are not used to attack other members)?
    If this is the case the following would be acceptable:
    1) Damn (every Gundam series ever pretty much).
    2) word that starts with a "B" and ends with a "d" and means illegitimate son (again virtually every series).
    3) synonym for crap that starts with an "s" (0083 and most OVAs at the very least).
    4) synonym for female dog that starts with a "b" (Zeta Gundam: A New Translation III).
    5) ass (0083 and OVAs).
    6) p***/p***ed off (I'm pretty sure 08th used this one but I may be mistaken)
    I think that covers it for curse words used in Gundam. Are any of those (besides "damn", which is already listed as acceptable) acceptable in the context of "Kira Yamato is a whiney <insert curse word>?"

Super Moderator

Re: Humor me, GSAM. Why is this site's discussion...

I lawlz at that last part with Kira, but I do have to agree with this. I don't see cursing being used as a casual thing on the forum, and I would deem that acceptable. Just as long no one is tossing belligerent words about like frisbees.
    YOU JUST MAD CUZ ANGELO BE STYLIN ON YOU, Also OlNems is a bro

Super Moderator

I tend to disagree. There are already an infinite number of forums/msg boards/social media sites that are polluted with senseless profanity, where one can go (if he/she so desires) to spew whatever they want. This forum was created as positive place to exchange ideas and be part of a community. I applaud GSAM's efforts to keep this forum a place where ANYONE can come share a love of Gundam and GUNPLA.
    ON TWITTER @TimberNewtype

"Through destruction, new destruction begins"

Zeta-G

Quote Originally Posted by squeam
    I tend to disagree. There are already an infinite number of forums/msg boards/social media sites that are polluted with senseless profanity, where one can go (if he/she so desires) to spew whatever they want. This forum was created as positive place to exchange ideas and be part of a community. I applaud GSAM's efforts to keep this forum a place where ANYONE can come share a love of Gundam and GUNPLA.
    To be clear I am NOT advocating the use of profanity on the forum; words only matter with regards to the intent behind them (the late great George Carlin use to have routines about this point). I was just curious as to what was acceptable (certain words such as the f-bomb, slurs, and a wide variety of slang words for genetalia obviously fall in the category of not acceptable); I listed the words that I did to see if any of them are acceptable, given that they are all used in the anime that this forum is dedicated to discussing (and are fairly tame as "bad" words go). My larger point, which people seem to be missing, is:

Why is this forum (which covers a PG-13 franchise), limited to PG content?

Again, I am not advocating turning this place into forum for immature bozos (such as 4-chan and its ilk), who think swearing makes them cool or mature.
    I just want to know why a forum covering a show aimed at a 13+ is limiting it's subject matter to make it more suitable for an audience, who shouldn't be watching Gundam in the first place (without parental supervision). And if these youngsters are watching Gundam, the 6 words listed would not be new to them.

Words in and of themselves are neutral. It is the intent behind them that counts. If you think that word #3 on my list is somehow more offensive than "poopy," then I submit to you the following advice: grow up. It's only a word, and it's the thought or intent behind the word that matters.

Peace.

P.S. It's not like we're discussing allowing hentai onto the forum (although on a side note that raises the question of why is depicting a natural act, that 99% of humans will engage in, less acceptable, than depicting murder and genocide, but I digress...)

Zeta....no homo bro....but I love you. That ending line was great.

However I am going to take the side of Squeam on this one, if only because while you (and everyone else here) are very trustworthy, and while you make very good and honorable points, we are but a small group, and should this forum expand, more and more people might try to abuse this power and begin to corrupt our beautiful community which Mickey has been so kind to offer to us.
    check me out on tumblr!!
    http://dogblu.tumblr.com/

You cannot stop Batman. Entire planets have tried. When Batman crosses railroad tracks, the warning lights are for the train's safety. The four fundamental interactions in physics are gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear force and Batman getting what he wants.

Super Moderator

True, and I love the amount of technical debate going on here. I believe it should just stay where it's at. Very well put, all of you, and each point is arguable. I think the TOS should just stay as it is, and we can move on happily, yes?

Zeta-G

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFrameAstray
    ... I think the TOS should just stay as it is, and we can move on happily, yes?
    I'm not saying they should change it. I'm asking (out of curiosity) why the discussion content is supposed to be of a lower parental rating than the subject matter being discussed. As for the swear words, I'm merely seeking clarification on what's acceptable. Damn obviously is. The F bomb and racist/sexist/homophobic slurs are obviously not. The words I listed are all in Gundam, fairly tame, and some are two-way words (the two b's come to mind).

Super Moderator

I see your point, Zeta. I believe if we use it once every blue moon when the planets are aligned and a penguin wears a green tie on a monday while cooking waffles for his unborn son singing lady gaga, then it won't be a problem.

Other than that, I don't believe we curse much anyway.

Zeta-G

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFrameAstray
    I see your point, Zeta. I believe if we use it once every blue moon when the planets are aligned and a penguin wears a green tie on a monday while cooking waffles for his unborn son singing lady gaga, then it won't be a problem.

Other than that, I don't believe we curse much anyway.
    You actually don't. I'm not advocating a change in policy with regards to the swearing. I'm seeking a clarification, so that the rules and acceptable words are clear, and so that there will be no excuses for future members to violate them. In any case everyone still seems hung up on the swear word section of my initial post.

Administrator

Hey hey,

Sorry it took me so long to reply. As for clarification, the main reason we are keeping it PG is because eventually we are going to be advertising the forums as a place for all of our customers to go in search of help or conversation. Statistically (Even though most of the media related is PG-13) we have quite a few customers under the age. We are also worried about making parents uncomfortable and thus would like to make this as friendly of an environment as possible. Hope this clears things up.

-m1ck3y

Zeta-G

I figured the rating was related to model kits (because it does not make any logical sense with regards to the anime, but would with model kits as the basis), so thanks for confirming GSAM's.

As for the second (less important part) part of my question, which of the swear words (besides damn) fall under GSAM's designation of mild or light swearing?

(I'd assume the two B's at the very least [given the reasons for the rating], since they are the ones most likely to be taken as hostile, but I could be mistaken; I think it would be useful to have a line drawn by GSAM as to which of these words [if any] are acceptable, so that there will be no excuses for breaking GSAM's forum policies.)

Administrator

Honestly, we haven't really gotten there yet. Feel free to speak however you deem appropriate for now and we'll release an announcement with more specific rules if there is a need. We're really not trying to censor or limit anyones speech, just trying to create an environment everyone can enjoy.

-m1ck3y