Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 5 of 207 FirstFirst 123456789101555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Squee's WB

Administrator
    Awesome work man. Can't to see what it all looks like.

Super Moderator

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

Super Moderator

Thousand Sunny

I needed a break from building robots so i figured i'd start painting up my little Thousand Sunny from the Grand ship collection series. This

thing is so awesome! So much little detailed packed into a tiny kit.

Out of Box look w/ no stickers

IMG_4042.jpg

I removed most of the seam lines last night. I still have to work on the masts and the soda thruster on the back a bit more.

I primed most of the pieces.

IMG_4186.JPG

I want to give it actual grass and real trees. I'm going to build tiny wire skeletons for the trees.

I did one layer of the grass on the main deck. Waiting for the glue to dry a bit before i do some cleanup/add more.

IMG_4185.jpg

And I've started on the sails. Did a base color of off white and i'm spraying bright white over it in thin coats. A few more to go. I want to give it a little bit of a clothe look.

IMG_4187.JPG

I tried out the hull colors. I used Tamiya Hull Red and dusted it with a mist coat of Tamiya Brown. I'm thinking about changing the gold on the front. It's too bright.
    Attached Images

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

Super Moderator
    One more of the Hull

IMG_4189.JPG

And my favorite thing about abing... Same color mix, different look due to different psi and passes.

IMG_4190.JPG

Nice! Colors look great so far. How was the build process? More like a High Grade? Does the main sail insignia use a waterslide decal or a clear sticker? What about the other markings?
    A cynic & a dreamer.

Super Moderator
    I'd say it was quite a fun build. Very detailed. Yes, very similar to a HG... except not really cause it is a ship. Everything is stickers. The Jolly Roger is a clear sticker. Bandai's stickers have gotten thinner so i might see how it looks, or i'll just get em from Samuel Decals, even if i have to special order them.

Super Moderator
    Gdx9902 asked on Plamocon if the ship had wood grain. I wanted to try doing hand wood grain, but as i kept attempting i realize i suck at free handing the grain, so instead i settled for a wash. With a flat coat it should show up more. I put it on heavy then scrubbed it off with a toothbrush. Then i sprayed a mist coat of brown over it. It has a nice shade to it as if it's aging.

The last picture shows how cool the detail is! Rivets!

This looks really cool! I don't watch One Piece, so I initially dismissed this thread, but I decided to give it a look. Glad I did, you're doing so really cool things with this kit so far! Can't want to see the end product. So... why are there trees and grass on the ship?
    Until Next Time: Happy Building!
    -Joe
    Joe's Gunpla Blog
    My YouTube Channel
    Current Backlog: 189 kits
    Currently in progress: MG Nu Ver Ka, RG Justice, Other stuff...
    Recently Completed: MG Guntank.

Super Moderator
    The trees are Nami's the navigators orange trees from her home island. You should give the manga/anime a chance it really is fantastic.

Every piece that i primed with white primer so far has lifted after masking 2 days later. Really pissed off so i decided to give hand painting some of the wooden parts a go. I think it helped give the wood a non uniform look, and will probably be hand painting a lot of the detail instead of masking. Ignore the line of brown on the sail, that is going to be cleaned up once it's all cured.

IMG_4195.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Squee View Post
    The trees are Nami's the navigators orange trees from her home island. You should give the manga/anime a chance it really is fantastic.

Every piece that i primed with white primer so far has lifted after masking 2 days later. Really pissed off so i decided to give hand painting some of the wooden parts a go.IMG_4195.JPG
    Agh, that sucks, majorly. How long was the masking tape on the primed parts? Normally, I wouldn't leave masking tape on a painted part (to paint on a second color) overnight - if I mask something, I usually paint it right away, then peel off the tape maybe 30 minutes after painting. Sometimes if the tape leaves slight marks where the tape seams meet, a coat or two of topcoat (flat) usually remedies this.
    A cynic & a dreamer.

Super Moderator
    Yea i know how to mask it's one of the few things i can say i'm pro at. lol I literally did a quick 10 second test masking. I had a feeling it was going to happen. I put the piece of tape down, and then pulled it up, and bam paint lifted. Even after removing some of the initial tack from Tamiya masking tape this still happened.

Super Moderator
    Woohoo, i really didn't want to use the Jolly Roger stickers, so i tried to make my own water slides. Scanned the Bandai sheet, and then cleaned it up in Photoshop. Luckily the bone is off-white, so my printer was able to handle it. I was initially going to send the file to SamDecals to have him print them, but wth it worked out fine on my printer. I think i'm going to be doing this alot more instead of waiting to order them.

IMG_4201.JPG

Looks a little weird but that's just my lighting, they look great in hand. I'm waiting on some Micro Liquid Decal Film to seal them in.

Super Moderator

WIP of Squee

I should have done this originally, as i tend to work on a kit then move onto something else to keep things interesting. If the mods want can they combine my other wip's with this one? lol

Right now i'm working on a HGUC gouf custom that i'm entering in G.E.'s Summer War contest. I'm hoping to finish it before the end of September so i can also enter it into GBWC @ NYCC.

This will be combining aspects from 2 things i really like. Gundam (Gouf) and Gutts from Berserk

Added some detail under the ankle armor area.

IMG_4105.JPG

Cut up the sword and used part of a sword from a Kotobukiya

IMG_4106.JPG

Cut up the Gatling gun from the Dra C. I'm probably going to rework this. Might use the original kits barrels.

IMG_4107.JPG

Extended the skirt armor

IMG_4132.JPG

Built a sad little cover for around the ammo tank

IMG_4131.JPG
    Last edited by Squee; July 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM.

Super Moderator
    Cut the torso down the middle to widen it as well as build up the new skirts with sculting putty followed by mr. surfacer 500. Lots of sanding soon.

IMG_4206.JPG

IMG_4205.JPG

Super Moderator
    Cut up the backpack. I'm probably going to be using some resin can thrusters i have left over to give it a nice bulky feel.

IMG_4208.JPG

Started laying out how i'm going to be posing the kit. I'm debating lengthening the legs if only to allow more bend. I'm going to mark off the placement of the feet and angle of the right foot so i can make a little terrain base.

IMG_4207.JPG

At first i thought of using magnets to attach it to the base, but then i realized why bother, i don't plan on removing it alot, so instead i just used pins.

IMG_4209.JPG