Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Thanks guys.
    Thats one of the things i thought while looking at these parts the other day is that i somewhat see an corrosive like effect on the parts which is unintentional but hey i'll go for it.

Yeah, i have such a backlog that i told my self early this year i was going to build everything i got by years end. But,i just keep buying so it's like i never deplete from my stock! Friggin' Gunpla addiction. Stay tuned as i've got some more weird color choices coming to the thread,such as Kampher for example.
    Last edited by jaqio; June 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM.

Now as i said last post i really started thinking about how lighting would look on this kit. But what i wanted would mean i would have to carve up a good deal of the kit and plan out wiring routes and all these things i'm not able to do yet. On top of that i would have to strip the paint and start over again, No thanks! So while looking in my spare decal and stickers box i happened upon the sticker sheet to an HG Stargazer Gundam i never built. Now this kit has 2 identical sheets of stickers one gloss black the other a reflective green yellow color that when in the right lighting looks illuminated. So i got the hobby knife out and carved up the shapes i wanted and heres what i got.

MSN-07 Z'Gok wip by jaqio, on Flickr

It may not show well in these pics but when fully glossed it looks better. Unfortunatly these stickers are thick! so the backing shows no matter what i did.

Now for the eye visor all i did was paint the section where the monoeye will permanently be gazing toward clear yellow, and since the monoeye is painted Krylon brilliant gold it should produce an glowing effect when viewed in tadem.

Well thats how this lazy modeler wussed out on improving his skills yet again. But i really am going to tackle some of these techniques by years end, as Things like cleaner builds, pla-plating, kit bashing, led mods and better photography are things i'm thinking alot about now since joining this forum and getting some real good advice from you guys. Anyway thanks as always guys and sorry for just publishing an novel here.
    Next post i'll show the other colors.

thats a really nice idea for the eye piece

Administrator
    I agree that is pretty cool. And I love how the "rust" color is turning out.

Thanks guys. the monoeye area though not luminous does to a degree pull of the effect i wanted.

Super Moderator
    If i could just make a suggestion. Turn down the air pressure on your compressor or maybe thin your paint a little bit more. It will vastly improve the smoothness of your finish.

Gotcha! i normally shade at 15psi and thin at slightly thicker than milk consistency.

i think your finish will be perfectly fine once its top coated and if you are not sure about your airbrushes limitations turning your psi down can totally fudge your spray up. i know anything below 12-13 psi my brush starts to go to crap. and in my experience less air doesn't always mean smoother finish it makes it easier to control the amount of paint when you are starting out but i think you are past that. 16-18 psi is what i shade at but everyone has there own way. just my two cents take it with a grain of salt because i think stuff like that is something you have to figure out with experience because everyone has different brushes, different compressors, different paints and different thinning ratios

Great Points D-Smith. And the finish did get alot better after a few mists of topcoat.

Super Moderator
    DSmith you're right, but the way his coats look afterwards are the look of when you're spraying with too much psi.

i may be wrong but i dont think i am lol. the higher the psi the smoother the paint is gonna be because the air is gonna force the paint to mist more BUT if you don't have control you can over spray and have runs etc.. and that is why people lower there psi, to decrease the margain for error not to get a smoother finish. some brushes are better at spraying at lower psi then others and you don't notice the paint being any less smooth but a psi doesn't translate to a specific finish its just not being able to control your paint properly at the psi level.

jaqio i am not saying that you can't control your paint i am just talking in generalities. i think your shading once top coated will be perfectly adequit.

Super Moderator
    I think there's a miscommunication here as I'm not even talking about his shading. I'm talking about the final paint apps.

Raising the air pressure will not cause it to mist more. The spray/mist is controlled by how far back the needle is pulled allowing paint out of the tip of your airbrush. The only thing it will do is cause more to come out which isn't really necessary.

There are other factors though. The paint might not be thinned enough. You could be spraying to close to the part with too much pressure. Even your climate affects the way the paint is sprayed.

Here's a great article explaining what i'm talking about. http://www.craigcentral.com/models/pressure.asp

agree to disagree because i know for a fact that with less pressure the paint is going to disperse less its simple logic that you can put to the test very easily.

Super Moderator
    It has nothing to do with paint dispersal. It has to do with how hard the spray is hitting the part. Spraying too close and/or raising the psi does this. THAT is fact.

but spraying at 15psi is not gonna cause that lol maybe if you are spraying at 30 but 15 psi is already such a minimal mount of force i know plenty of painters better then you, me and anyone on here that spray at 15 or higher.

but everyone is different and like your handy little link he says the very first sentence there is no correct pressure i am just stating facts that i don't think you can disprove and i know i am right when i say that the higher the psi the more fine the paint mist will become and the smoother its gonna look. dependng on the brush however they can still get a perfectly good mist at lower psi but thats because they are engineered better. a not as nice airbrush just realizes its limitations earlier. all i can say is take your air brush and spray lines at the same distance at different psi and you will understand and you will also see to what level your airbrush is good to.