Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sleeper Kits.. surprisingly good kits you wouldn't normally buy

What are some kits you bought not expecting much or had not really heard of that ended up being awesome?

Administrator
    My HGUC Bawoo, and my HGUC RX178 Mk.II Titans.

sorry if this is the stupidest question ever but whats HGUC? is it high grade something?

Quote Originally Posted by WING ZERO View Post
    sorry if this is the stupidest question ever but whats HGUC? is it high grade something?
    HGUC means High Grade Universal Century.

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

Captain of the 1/72 Brigade
    "The Scale of Tragedy"
    Conrad<Kahrys<Shepard<937<Nasir<Malenko<Nathen

thanks for clearing that up lol

My first SD kit was given to me by a friend who went to ACEN in Chicago and bought a surprise goodie bag that had the kit inside. He knew I liked Gundam, so he gave it to me. I honestly thought very little of it and I just didn't think that I would like SD kits and I could never picture myself buying any... I now have around 20 or so SD kits.

MG Gyan also threw me for a loop. I was just wanting to get a OYW (One Year War) baddie that wasn't a Zaku-esq MS and it turned out to be one of my favorite MG's so far.
    Let's see... what else... OH! The Advanced Grade kits from AGE. I don't know what it is about them. they have nill articulation, no stickers, and truthfully need a ton of paint. But they are so simple, quick easy kits with a rather niftily engineered design. AND THEY ARE CHEAP! I love them; I've bought them all, I've snapped them together but that's it. I might paint and panel line them someday, but I am so impressed with their simplicity that I have them proudly displayed next to their HG counterparts!
    Until Next Time: Happy Building!
    -Joe
    Joe's Gunpla Blog
    My YouTube Channel
    Current Backlog: 189 kits
    Currently in progress: MG Nu Ver Ka, RG Justice, Other stuff...
    Recently Completed: MG Guntank.

Super Moderator
    HGUC Gaza-C.

Soooooooo goooooood. Lovely rubber hoses and beautiful color separation.

The articulation is nice and the transformation is easy and quick. I looooove it so much.
    YOU JUST MAD CUZ ANGELO BE STYLIN ON YOU, Also OlNems is a bro

I'd have to say the HGUC Hy-Gogg and the MG Gogg. I've had the urge to give many grotesque-looking Zeonic MS a second look, especially the aforementioned two kits, to be pleasantly surprised at how intricate the kits are designed, and work better than I might have initially thought. This is mostly due to certain Youtube reviews of them...

That's right Squeam, I blame YOU!!

I'm trying to save money for other kits here, last thing I need is to get interested in more!!
    Last edited by CKai Cydek; March 17, 2012 at 8:29 AM.
    A cynic & a dreamer.

I've grown to like the HGUC Palace Athene. Found it at a local hobby store for $20 and bought it on a whim. The back pieces with the cannons could use a bit more articulation though.
    (insert obligatory witty and/or intelligent quote here)

Current WiP:

Future WiP:
    1/144 Gelgoog/Gelgoog Cannon

Re: Sleeper Kits.. surprisingly good kits you wouldn't normally buy

MG Z Gok, normally i try to get complicated and over-engineered hefty kits like the MG Sazabi ver ka, or the MG Psycho Zaku. But this kit had beutiful articulation (Mostly because nothing popped of if i looked at it wrong.) and it's rock solid!

HG Astraea type F. Not really sure if this is quite enough to be a sleeper but it's a great kit. Plus, all the weapons. Plus, with all the bonus parts you can make 3 different MS. Just huge bang for the buck plus it's solid.

HG 1/400 (?) Neue Ziel. Always loved the MA and the kit is packed with details and potential.

MG Gelgoog 2.0, Byarlant Custom, MG GM II Kai (looks like cold districts type), Astraea type F, Gabthley, GM custom, MG spiegel Gundam and HG Marasai.

Quote Originally Posted by justicebeaver View Post
    HG Astraea type F. Not really sure if this is quite enough to be a sleeper but it's a great kit. Plus, all the weapons. Plus, with all the bonus parts you can make 3 different MS. Just huge bang for the buck plus it's solid.

HG 1/400 (?) Neue Ziel. Always loved the MA and the kit is packed with details and potential.
    I bought that kit twice. One got built as the Astraea Type F, with double the weapons. The other got built into the base for my custom, personal Exia.

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

Captain of the 1/72 Brigade
    "The Scale of Tragedy"
    Conrad<Kahrys<Shepard<937<Nasir<Malenko<Nathen

Yes the Astrea Type F is amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Exia View Post
    I bought that kit twice. One got built as the Astraea Type F, with double the weapons. The other got built into the base for my custom, personal Exia.

Nice. It's on my list to get another to have one original, detailed, two tone astraea and the other a "supped" up version. I got the dark matter booster to slap on it and enough left over exia parts to play with to make a second set of elongated, more feral, arms for it.