Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mr. Color Paints?

Anyone used these? I'm thinking about ordering some from R4L for the GM Contest but I want to know if they're worth using before I do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    SIEG ZEON!

Pure SEED Hater and proud of it!

I really like Mr Color paints (and Gunze Sangyo products in general). What I really like about them, is that they stick to plastics (primed or not) better and don't pool as easily as acrylics.

They are solvent based paints, so they don't have a very pleasant smell. Good idea to pick up a respirator, and make sure you keep a window open if you're going to be airbrushing them.

They do have an acrylic line (Mr Color Aqueous), but I've never tried it, so I can't give my personal opinion on it. I'd think it wouldn't be much different tha

Uhh, what else? Don't forget to get thinner as well. Don't forget that you can't use Mr. Color to paint over acrylics (it'll ruin the acrylic layer).

Gunze Sangyo has really good liquid primer as well. I use the Mr Surfacer 1200 type. I've not used any of the lower types because everyone tells me that the lower you go, the more gritty the primer gets. The 1200 gives a really good even thin coat.

I use Mr. Color Paints only now. I switched from the Tamiya Acrylics several years ago and never looked back.
    They are wonderful paints to paint with. The pigmentation is really fine, and you are able to do very very detailed gradient work when using Mr. Color.

The only paint that may be finer in terms of lacquer paints is the new Gaia paints, which are very very hard to get here in N. America.
    The draw back for Mr. Color Paints is that they are toxic. I used to be able to withstand the fumes a bit when I was spray painting, now, my head goes dizzy if I smell too much of that stuff. A respirator is a definite must for this type of paint.

I recommend using the Mr. Color thinner to thin out the paints when you are using it, since Mr. Color thinner is a synthetic Lacquer thinner and won't eat away at styrene or plastic, but will destroy abs plastic(makes it brittle and will crumble in your hands). And to clean your airbrush use regular Lacquer thinner you can pick up at the hardware store.

Before you buy Mr. Color, I recommend reading this link:
    http://codyscoop.com/ht-paint.html

So you get a better idea of the types of paints out there, and some really nice info on Mr. Color paints.
    Hope this helps =)

I agree with the post above except that I have only used Mr Color paints on a few occasions as they are solvent based and not suitable for using indoors. But they are by far the superior colors to use for Gunpla as they have the exact colors for Gundam available.
    Nowadays I use Tamiya almost exclusively but the paints are a pain to mix for exact matching Gundam colors.

I switched over to Mr. Color a few kits ago, and I can't see myself ever going back to Tamiya. The paints are amazing. They thin well, spray great, are incredibly durable, and don't require a gloss coat before panel lining. The fact that they are also the colors used in the paint guides on the kits is a bonus. The Mr. Super Clear UV Cut Flat is the best flat coat I have ever used--even better than Testors Dullcote, which was my previous favorite.

Use Mr. Color Thinner to thin the primer with (I use Mr. Surfacer 1000), and Mr. Color Leveling Thinner to thin paints with. Gets you a smooth coat every time.

I use a spray booth when painting so I can use them indoors, though I'm also picking up a respirator.

Hi sirs. I am sorry for this question. I am totally new at painting GunPlas kit. I have also heard so much about Mr. Color and would be planning to use them to my current work in progress kits ( Heavy Arms Ver. Ka. and Nataku HG ). I would just want to know if Mr. Color has paint variations if you will use it for brushing or spray painting?

and one thing more, are there links, tutorials and other stuffs where I can learn how to paint by brush and spray using Mr. Color?

Thank you very much!

No it doesn't. It's not meant for hand brushing and I wouldn't recommend it as when I tried it went badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    No it doesn't. It's not meant for hand brushing and I wouldn't recommend it as when I tried it went badly.
    Thanks Sir Ultra.

Super Moderator
    You can hand brush them but you have to keep the brush constantly in thinner.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

I've been thinning Tamiya with generic lacquer thinner with success. Does anyone use generic thinner with Mr. Color or do you have to use the Mr. Color/Hobby brand? I'd think about using Mr. Color if I don't have to buy the special thinner. Also, can you add Mr. Retarder to generic thinner?

Super Moderator
    ^That's generally how i used to save money. I mainly airbrush mr. colors though but for handbrushing them i've gotten away with industrial lacquer thinner. The retarder really is more for when you spray the paint so it doesn't dry instantly in the air. I mean, it helps it level out better as well, but i've found w/o the retarder you need to overthin it to stop it from drying instantly as you spray.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

According to this page:

http://codyscoop.com/ht-paint.html

"Mr Color dissolves slightly in alcohol however"

If this is the case. Can you still do panel lining with Gundam Markers?

Would suggest not to use Gundam marker for painted model kits, because it will not be easy to clean off when you make a mistake. Lacquer paints like Mr Color and Gaia dries very quickly, but leave it to cure for a dry before attempting panel lining the model kit.

Base on my experience with lacquer color paints like Mr Color and Gaia, the finishing colors are brighter than acrylic paints like Tamiya.

I would suggest not to use commercial lacquer thinner, because some may damage(melt) the plastic parts. The colors tend to fade after a few months or years.

Re: Mr. Color Paints?

Hi all I am just wondering if anyone could please tell me what is the easiest most hassle free way to remove Mr.Color paint from a MG models parts as I am really wanting to repaint my MG Sinanju Stein but I have come across to many different forums and to many opinions from gunpla modelers to honestly know what to buy let alone what to use to do so.

Administrator

Re: Mr. Color Paints?

I use Power Purple to strip my paint off. You can get a large container of it at Walmart. And it does not harm the integrity of the plastic.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar