Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Hobby Japan Exclusive: GRAND SLAM SWORD SET

On the 25th of this month, Hobby Japan magazine will be releasing a two-runner set of the Grand Slam Sword set special upgrade parts for High Grade SEED kits - specifically meant for the Aile Strike, but it seems to be compatible with the GAT-series of kits at the very least.

There will be two runners here, and it doesn't just contain the oversized Grand Slam sword, but other goodies as well:

Included: The Grand Slam sword, 4 knee joints, 4 shoulder joints, 12 hands(!) & 4 polycaps.

The new leg joints will allow for a greater than 90-degree bend on the HG SEED Gundams. Compare the new joint on the HG Buster Gundam on the left as opposed to the original joint on the right:

The new shoulder joints will allow the shoulders to angle upwards, providing the arms enough clearance to swing across the body, which in turn, allows the Gundam to perform a two-handed grip on the Grand Slam, which the original kit couldn't hope to do otherwise!

The two Strikes on the bottom of the last image show the High Grade on the left, and the Real Grade on the right, both gripping the sword pretty nicely.

Definitely worth picking up for those who can! These will be included in the April issue of Hobby Japan magazine, which comes out on February 25 (February 28 in HLJ) for 1200 Yen (about $15).

Now THIS is how you do an upgrade! I can't imagine why Bandai didn't throw in an entire extra runner of these parts in the HG SEED remasters, as they breathe a lot of new life into the older kits. Just a new Action Base connector seems kinda lacking. I wouldn't mind paying maybe 100-200 more Yen for these in an older kit.
    A cynic & a dreamer.

Administrator
    As cool as that is, I think I'll wait for the RG Skygrasper.

Quote Originally Posted by thwalker13 View Post
    As cool as that is, I think I'll wait for the RG Skygrasper.
    RG Skygrasper doesn't come with this, though. which you most likely already know.
    I've got this pre-ordered. This is the first time I will have bought a Gundam related hobby magazine...
    Until Next Time: Happy Building!
    -Joe
    Joe's Gunpla Blog
    My YouTube Channel
    Current Backlog: 189 kits
    Currently in progress: MG Nu Ver Ka, RG Justice, Other stuff...
    Recently Completed: MG Guntank.

Administrator
    I do know. However the RG Skygrasper does come with the multiple attachments for the Strike. Including the sword pack. So I think I'd just rather get the RG Strike and Skygrasper.

I can understand that. It's a matter of which equipment you like better, after all. I'd consider the RG Skygrasper set the better buy if I had to choose between them, but thankfully, I'll be getting them both!

My real excitement over this set comes from the spare parts included more than the actual Grand Slam itself (which I plan to give to my RG Strike) - I plan on utilizing the upgrade parts on older GAT series HG Gundams for some kitbashing.
    A cynic & a dreamer.

Administrator
    For those that already have the HGs of the Strike I can see where this set would be very handy. As for me, I don't have any kits of Strike. At least not as of yet. So I plan on getting the RG version. Along with the Skygrasper and it's many accessories. On the other hand, if gundamstoreandmore.com ever does get this little kit in I might consider it for my RG Strike.