Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
    Super Moderator

Take a moment to read

So I just wanted to give a small heads up on a few things. These things don't happen all that regularly, but it's more of a headsup and just precautionary bits.

1: Double posting

This is not nearly as large of a deal as it is to other sites, but none the less it isn't necessary. There is an edit button on every one of your own posts that you can change or delete at any time. If you need help with anything, ask a moderator and we will help you. Bumping a dying thread with NEW material is an acceptable double post, but if you forgot to say something, just edit your post.

2: Thread clutter

This is a little bit more common in our community and might need a bit more of a public note than sending mass PM's to members for whenever it happens. It is not a problem to have some small chat within a thread for a few reasons, but try not to derail a thread, let alone not contribute to it. This causes threads to fail that could have had glorious intentions from the start. If you wish to have a general conversation about something sprung from another thread, make a new thread in the real world subforum.

3: Thread location

We have moved a couple threads to a more proper location, and I have joined a few threads together. Nobody is in trouble for posting a thread in a wrong location, but if you are unsure ask a mod before posting. If it is your gut feeling that your thread should go in a subforum, then go for it. If we think otherwise then we will move it, but it is perfectly fine to question where it went if no redirect was left, or if you felt your thread belonged in it's old location more than the other.

4: Grammar and Punctuation

This is a very loose understanding. There is a large variety of ages that make up this community and the quality of speech among each differs based upon your grade level or other factors. Spelling something wrong is not a big deal. The spellcheck system will help with any word you may not know or have been spelling improperly, but pay no mind to words spellcheck doesn't know (like Gundam for example). The other bit is more just posting etiquette. Use correct punctuation. I'm not asking for Oxford English; slang and common vernacular are perfectly fine. I just don't enjoy seeing run-on sentences and extended ellipsis ( ... not ...................) laced with other symbols and incorrectly capitalized and lower-cased words.

The gist of these were within the TOS that all of you had to agree to, so this is nothing new. Again, this is more as a heads up to go over what you have written before posting it. Proofreading is needed everywhere you go. No one is grading you, but teachers did not teach you English for nothing.
    YOU JUST MAD CUZ ANGELO BE STYLIN ON YOU, Also OlNems is a bro

Super Moderator
    An update ladies and gentlemen.

Their, there, they're, your, you're, where, were, we're, wear, ware.

The easiest and most frequent grammatical errors.

To knock out three at once: Contractions.

You're/We're/They're are all contractions of the words You/We/They and Are. So any of these three will fit into the blank in the below sentence:

_____________ going to the store to go get milk for your aunt.

Whenever you see either three of these contractions, it means "_____ are". These contractions are the subject and the verb together. You are DOING something. When you are going to use any of these words, think for a moment. Is it an action? ARE whoever you are talking about doing something? Yes; use the contraction. No; move on to the next two examples to see what the correct one to use is.

Where/There

These are used to signify a place.

Where are we going?
    We are going there.

Ask yourself if whoever/whatever you are talking about is going somewhere. Use either of these. If not, move on.

Their/Your

These are possessive. They signify ownership of something to someone or something else. Example:

Is that your dog?
    No that is their dog.

Again, ask if you are talking about the ownership of something, then assess your sentence with the correct form.

Wear

Clothing. This is fairly simple. You wear clothes. Link wears a hat. Char wears a Zeon uniform.
    Alternatively, the deterioration of something.

Ware

This is an object to be sold. Example:

Please, come in and check my wares.

Were

This is the past tense of are. Example of present, then a point after:

We are at the amusement park.
    We were at the amusement park.

I hope this was helpful. If you have trouble with this, you can keep this post open in another tab as a quick reference until you understand which form is to go where.
    Last edited by SilverFrameAstray; March 9, 2012 at 7:28 PM.

I like whichever rule of the internet it is that says 'whenever someone posts about proper spelling/grammar/usage, they inevitably make a glaring error of their own.'
    I was led astray by bad directions.

Super Moderator
    Oh I make them all of the time. Asterisk usually will go through and edit a ton of posts. I'm not saying i'm flawless, just explaining which are the correct ways to use the word.

Administrator
    My grammar isn't perfect, so I try to only fix glaring mistakes.
    Also, typically only SFAs, because I think it's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFrameAstray View Post
    Oh I make them all of the time. Asterisk usually will go through and edit a ton of posts. I'm not saying i'm flawless, just explaining which are the correct ways to use the word.
    Yes, but you've gotten one of them wrong. You may want to check your w-airs via any given dictionary.
    I was led astray by bad directions.

Administrator
    Oh, I fixed that earlier.

Super Moderator
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Oh man that's too great.

Although I just fixed the wear again. Because the "ware on the tree" example was still there.

And now the advantage of being an English learner (not native speaker) has been clarified to a few.

I've never made any mistake referring to possessive cases and shortening the form of "being" (to be = Gerund.)

That's why it'd turn out to be assisting to establish a section enabling (me) to compose content regarding this and (perhaps) explain "critical" topics to a few wondering how to do it.
    Anime is for kids