Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Thread: UC Factions

UC Factions

Hey guys, still working on my Gundam D&D game so I created a list of factions available for the players to enter or encounter.
    Could one of the lore masters help me out with this and let me know what I'm missing? I really don't think I'll go up to F91 but
    I would like to get an idea of the factions that participate in that era.
    Thanks again everyone

FACTION:
    1. EARTH FEDERATION
    2. REPUBLIC OF ZEON
    3. PRINCIPALITY OF ZEON
    4. RIAH SEPERATIST
    5. RIAH LOYALIST
    6. RIAH REPUBLIC
    7. JUPITER ENERGY FLEET
    8. ZEON REMNANTS
    9. DELAZ FLEET
    10. CIMA FLEET
    11. AXIS ZEON
    12. TITANS
    13. ANTI EARTH UNION GROUP
    14. KARABA
    15. NEO ZEON
    16. NEW DESIDES
    17. GLEMY NEO ZEON
    18. EGUM (FRONT FOR CHARS NEO ZEON)
    19. NEW SUMMER PROJECT(ANTI EARTH)
    20. NEW SUMMER PROJECT(MODERATE)
    21. LONDO BELL
    22. ECOAS
    23. THE SLEEVES (NEO ZEON)
    24. MASTEMA SPECIAL OPERATIONS
    25. BIRNAM(PRIVATE DEFENSE FORCE)
    26. MUFTI
    27. MaHA (MAN HUNTER AGENCY)
    Alex
    BasiCable

Re: UC Factions

I wouldn't even call most of these factions.

Let's break some of these down

First, half of these are just Zeon to one extent or another.

Republic of Zeon and Principalty of Zeon are exactly the same thing, the later just indicating that they were going to take on a more militant stance than before.
    Zeon remnants is what was left of Zeon after they lost the war. The Delaz Fleet, Cima Fleet, Axis Zeon and all various NeoZeon would all fall under the umbrella of "Zeon Remnants" and would be Zeon if Zeon hadn't fallen-- so none of them would exist simultaneously with Zeon.

I notice you didn't list "NeoBabylon/Crossbone Vangard" which could have, in some form, existed in some form earlier in the canon than when they were most active. However, any early form of this would have also been Zeon since they originated from the first colony group that Zeon "conquered" (it is implied they were welcomed as liberators).

The Earth Federation is an umbrella that covers the Titans. The Titans were just extremists who felt that the spacers had proven themselves so dangerous that they either needed to be tightly controlled or wiped out for the sake of the people of Earth.

Karaba and Anti Earth Union Group are basically the same thing, just the former being more earth-based and the latter more space-based, but they shared leadership and goals. They also mostly came out of the Earth Federation with a few Zeon remnants who generally agreed that the Titans extremism was generally bad. They eventually won over the Earth Federation, forcing out the Titans and then became Londo Bell. The New Desides was just Titans after the Titans had been mostly killed or disbanded. Mufti was members of the A.E.U.G. who weren't particularly happy with their faction merging with the Earth Federation and saw the Federation as still being overbearing and corrupt even after the Titans were pushed out and continued their rebellion.

The Jupiter Energy Fleet is generally considered more Zeon-leaning, I suppose, but really they were so far out of the conflict that they never really got all that involved.

I wouldn't really called Riah a "faction" much less break it into multiples ones-- basically it was just a colony that decided to take advantage of Zeon freeing the colonies, but didn't commit to the cause enough to actually declare war on the Earth.

I don't really recognize some of these last ones

19. NEW SUMMER PROJECT(ANTI EARTH)
    20. NEW SUMMER PROJECT(MODERATE)
    22. ECOAS
    24. MASTEMA SPECIAL OPERATIONS
    25. BIRNAM(PRIVATE DEFENSE FORCE)
    27. MaHA (MAN HUNTER AGENCY)

But basically I think you can pretty much break the factions down into 3 main factions.

Earth Federation - Those who see Earth as the central power of humanity and want to keep control over the colonies, both to enrich those on Earth and for the common safety of those on the earth.

Zeon - People who live in space colonies giving them easy access to the superior wealth of the solar system, but are also heavily dependent on Earth for basic necessities to survive and thus have rebelled and declared war for independence.

Rebels - Those who have grudges against both sides to whatever degree and don't want to fall under the thumb of either side, they just want to be free.

All three could be divided into multiple divisions/subfactions, and all three would show a vast array of moralities from idealistic and altruistic hero types, to genocidal maniacs who intend to destroy everyone who gets in the way of their goals. The in-fighting might be vicious to a certain degree, but since all three have 2 armies seeking to entirely wipe them all out should they not work together to fight against them, they kind of have to work together no matter how much they despise each other until they win.

And even if any of the three factions "loses", there will be loyal extremists who will regroup and pop up again a few years later trying to get revenge.

In the official Gundam Timeline, it is Zeon who always loses and that is why there are so many various flavors of Zeon on your list. They just keep popping up with new names. But, one can surmise that if Zeon had ever "won" then some remnants of the Earth Federation would regroup and pop up somewhere under a new name and you would have a lot more various kinds of Earth Federation forces. If Zeon had successfully wiped out the Earth fleet and conquered Earth, it is very likely that the Titans would have been seen as "good guys" instead of "bad guys" when they popped up a few years later and took the fight to Zeon and using every means possible in the desperate fight.
    [RP]Mobile Suit Gundam: War-Torn Horizons - Nobuyori Takeda, pilot of Elmeda (Tokugawa Knight Custom)