Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Are the God Hands or similar pliers worth it? Any other nub-removing speed up tips?

Hi. I'm half way through building my second MG. However, I've been wondering something. About 70% of my time for simply snapping up the model is spent cleaning the nub marks of each piece. This makes the process very slow. Now, normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, as modeling is something that requires a lot of time and patience. I have the latter but I do not have the former. I have 50% completion of my first MG for about 2 months now and 4 MGs and 1 HG to build, not even out of the box. So I was wondering how I could speed up the process...

It seems that the whole reason the the God Hands are so expensive is because they are supposed to severely cut back on the time required to get rid of nub marks, by being able to cut the part from the gate very near the piece and without leaving a mark on the piece itself. Is this true? Are they worth it? Will they reduce my nub-elimination time? Are there any other tips?

Thanks for any advice

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Re: Are the God Hands or similar pliers worth it? Any other nub-removing speed up tip

This is a "Yes" and "No" answer. So first are you going to paint your kits or just do OOB and topcoat? Yes Godhands do cut very close and make nub mark removal a bit faster, but no they do not "Not leave a mark" There is still going to be a stress mark at the cut mark it will just be very small compared to a normal cheap side cutter. If you are going to paint then they work out great, just a minimal sanding and you are good to go. If you are not going to paint then you will still have little white marks where the nubs were.
    I paint every kit so they work great, I also have Tamyia cutters that work just as well for my needs. So it all depends on what type of build you are doing.

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

Re: Are the God Hands or similar pliers worth it? Any other nub-removing speed up tip

^ What this guy said. I have a pair and I use them for parts that require a more delicate touch, but they're really not more than high-quality nippers. I would suggest buying them only if you have the money to burn. Otherwise, you're fine getting something less pricey.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

I'm definitely NOT going to paint. Ever. I want to have the original colors. I try to use gundam markers for touch ups and that is about it. So in this case I won't have much of a speed up given how pricey they are, right? Thanks

Take a look at the pictures that I posted in this thread and you can decide for yourself. It does cost a bit more but I felt that the time I saved is more than worth it.

Administrator

I have a pair of Tamiya, and a pair of GodHand. I got the GodHand because my Tamiya set was damaged. I can a slight difference in that the GodHand is slightly sharper and can can cut through the gate a bit easier. However, like everyone has already said. They will still leave a mark if you cut right next to the part. It won't be as noticeable, but it'll still be there.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

The Godhands are a over priced hype train product. For consumers who can burn cash. Every hobby industry has these products. Heck, the bike market has consumer level products costing 10x as much as professional Tour de France racers bikes. (But, I mean really who are they fooling...)

There is nothing wrong with the GodHands. I mean for the price they BETTER be pretty darn good if you ask me. But, the problem is you will still need to clean up no matter what. Making the cutter almost irrelevant. The cutters are basically for fast removal from the runners. Which is why I love them now lol.

Get yourself a affordable set of single edge cutters and polish the blade the best you can and it will be as good if not better than GodHands.

I bought the Wave Ht-389 cutters for I think $19. They worked perfectly out of the box. Clean effortless smooth cut. Nothing wrong. But, than I polished that tiny @ss blade with some polish compound and holy criminy the thing cuts like a hot knife though butter now.

Though, I do wish I went with the HT-390 angled cutters. Costs like $5 more but the tip is at a angle for easier access to the gate.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LeDelmo View Post
    The Godhands are a over priced hype train product. For consumers who can burn cash. Every hobby industry has these products. Heck, the bike market has consumer level products costing 10x as much as professional Tour de France racers bikes. (But, I mean really who are they fooling...)

There is nothing wrong with the GodHands. I mean for the price they BETTER be pretty darn good if you ask me. But, the problem is you will still need to clean up no matter what. Making the cutter almost irrelevant. The cutters are basically for fast removal from the runners. Which is why I love them now lol.

Get yourself a affordable set of single edge cutters and polish the blade the best you can and it will be as good if not better than GodHands.

I bought the Wave Ht-389 cutters for I think $19. They worked perfectly out of the box. Clean effortless smooth cut. Nothing wrong. But, than I polished that tiny @ss blade with some polish compound and holy criminy the thing cuts like a hot knife though butter now.

Though, I do wish I went with the HT-390 angled cutters. Costs like $5 more but the tip is at a angle for easier access to the gate.
    Pics of the HT cuts?

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

lol as I posted that. I remembered I made that thread about the Wave cutters. I completely forgot to follow up on it.

I will do my best to get some posted up. I have a hard time with my camera tho. My phone pictures don't turn out too well so close up. And my other camera photo file sizes are really big.

I'll do my best.

I recommend buying a pair of Xuron 2174et professional spur cutters and filing the back (flat side) so both blades are even. Wet stone would be best. They are cheap and give decent results if you even out the cutting edges.

Super Moderator

God hands are absolutely worth it.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rxslinger View Post
    I recommend buying a pair of Xuron 2174et professional spur cutters and filing the back (flat side) so both blades are even. Wet stone would be best. They are cheap and give decent results if you even out the cutting edges.
    I just did this with mine. they cut 10x better