Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Live Action Gundam Film Offically Announced

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/...ovie-announced

I'm expecting the worse, but hell yeah I'm gonna still watch it.
    Ways to reach me if the site really does go down:
    Discord: BadWrongFun#0889
    Email: badwrongfun@gmx.com
    Mastodon:https://glitch.social/web/accounts/41917
    Twitter: @bad_wrong_fun

Re: Live Action Gundam Film Offically Announced

Honestly, I have a bit more faith in this project than I do in other live-action anime film projects in part because of Legendary Studio's success with giant robot films. However, I still have few reservations about this project: 1) What's the budget, 2) who are going to be the writer(s) and do they understand the core concepts of Gundam, and 3) who is going to be the director.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Of all the American movie studios, Legendary is almost certainly the best possible production partner for Sunrise to make a live action Gundam movie that doesn't suck. No guarantees, but if any American studio can capture what makes a Japanese product like Gundam tick and please both the fans of the source material and the broader non-Japanese movie-going market, it's Legendary.

If you want a simple reason for why Legendary is the best studio for the job, let's compare Legendary's Godzilla (2014) with TriStar's Godzilla (1998). Two American adaptations of what is quite possibly Japan's biggest and most well-known pop culture export ever (for 64 years and counting); Godzilla is literally about as well known of a pop culture character worldwide as Mickey Mouse or Darth Vader. Godzilla is so well known, that -zilla is used as a suffix for completely unrelated things (e.g. bridezilla).

To say that TriStar's Godzilla was universally hated by Godzilla fans is an understatement; (almost*) everything about that horrible movie showed exactly how little TriStar cared about the honoring the spirit of the Godzilla franchise or pleasing its fans, to them Godzilla was just a brand name they could use to sell their generic iguana monster movie. Not one, but two mainline Japanese Godzilla movies went out of their way to make fun of how un-Godzilla the monster in that train wreck of a movie was (GMK with its line of "a few years ago a giant monster attacked the east of America; the Americans claim it was Godzilla, but our experts here have doubts." and Final Wars in which the director literally renamed the TriStar Godzilla, Zilla, explaining the Americans had taken the "God" out of Godzilla, and then had the real Godzilla kill "Zilla" in about 30 seconds flat). Godzilla 1998 didn't do well with wider audiences either, and it garnered extremely negative reviews across the board. *To the terrible 1998 movie's credit, it does at least acknowledge Godzilla's original Japanese name, Gojira, within the actual story.

Contrast this with Legendary's 2014 effort. Godzilla 2014 may not be the best Godzilla film ever made, but it's also far from the worst. More importantly, unlike the 1998 film, it actually captures the spirit of Godzilla himself; it feels like a Godzilla movie, not a generic monster film (unlike Godzilla 1998). Most Godzilla fans (including Japanese fans and Toho creatives) as well as general movie goers actually enjoyed the 2014 movie. Critics generally gave it relatively good marks (by genre standards of course). Really the biggest flaws of Godzilla 2014 as a Godzilla movie were that it avoided the anti-nuclear message of the original, preferring to focus on monster fights instead (presumably since American audiences generally hate having the US portrayed in even the slightest of negative ways on screen; the TriStar movie got around this by blaming the French instead; to relate this to Gundam think of how pissy some American fans get about the Atlantic Federation and the Union being antagonists), and the fact that Godzilla 2014 was a gigantic tease in terms of monster fights right up until the fight during the last act, which was so glorious when it finally happened that most fans (myself included) happily forgave the movie for its constant teases and just enjoyed watching Godzilla finally dispatch the MUTOs as only the Big G can. Again the 2014 Legendary Godzilla movie wasn't perfect, but it was definitely a Godzilla movie in spirit and left fans wanting more. Furthermore, while not actually a Godzilla movie (although it is set in the same movie universe as Godzilla 2014), Kong Skull Island demonstrated Legendary actually listening to Godzilla/Kaiju fans' main criticisms of Pacific Rim (too dark/too much rain to fully appreciate fights) and Godzilla 2014 (too much teasing without immediate payoff), and they then seemingly took that criticism into account, because unlike Godzilla 2014, Kong gave plenty of screen time to the titular ape kicking ass from the start, and unlike Pacific Rim, it's almost all in glorious well lit daylight. Legendary has another Godzilla film coming in 2019, so that should hopefully serve as another indicator of them trying to do right by fans of a beloved franchise they've been entrusted with the rights to.

That said, while I do think Legendary is the best possible choice for doing a big budget, live action Hollywood Gundam film justice, they are by no means perfect, and, as Zeta pointed out, we have no idea who exactly is creatively behind the project, so caution is strongly advised. Because if it's someone like Michael Bay or JJ Abrams who's making the film, it won't matter which studio is funding production, the final product will make G-Saviour look like gold by comparison. On a positive note, it was announced that Sunrise will be co-producing the film with Legendary and collaborating on the scenario, so chances are the live action movie is probably going to be in reasonably safe hands, since Sunrise is notoriously protective of their golden goose.

Really the biggest problem I see creatively with the live action Gundam movie is that Gundam has never been the best at doing standalone single movies, because the stories Gundam tends to tell usually need more room to breathe than a mere two hours. Char's Counterattack really doesn't work so well without MSG (and to a much lesser extent Zeta and ZZ) for context, and, even then, it really needs more running time. F91 is more or less standalone, but it has the pacing of a compilation movie and doesn't really have a definitive conclusion, the final bit of text even suggests a direct sequel, which of course never got made (I think we're all probably familiar with F91's development history and why it's structured the way that it is and ends the way that it does). Then we have the 00 movie; it has pretty much the same kinds of issues as a standalone movie that Char's Counterattack does. The closest production I can think of for Gundam doing a standalone/complete story within a standard length movie's running time and telling it well with proper pacing is 0080: War in the Pocket, and, while a fantastic little OVA, it isn't exactly a normal Gundam story. Of course nothing is stopping Legendary and Sunrise from planning their live action Gundam movie as the first of a series, which would give them the room to let the story breathe (assuming of course that the first movie is successful enough to spawn a sequel).

I am a bit curious as to what approach they will take. Will they be adapting/remaking an existing work (e.g. First Gundam or Gundam Wing), a new (presumably stand alone/accessible) entry in an existing timeline (e.g. that UC2 project with an overseas partner that they "accidentally" leaked at Gundam Narrative's official reveal), or, perhaps the most obvious approach, an all-new AU? Which approach do you guys think/hope they will take with the live action Gundam movie?

Predictably, I'm on team UC in terms of what I'm hoping for (be it an adaptation/remake of an existing work or a new story set within the UC timeline), but I'm not opposed to an all new AU either, if done right. Then again, given Legendary's talent for making movies about big robots/monsters beating the crap out of each other, and a certain AU's popularity in the West, I won't be at all shocked if they just say "screw it" and adapt G Gundam (or make a G sequel) as a big, dumb, glorious cheese fest of an action movie. Actually after typing that, if the live action movie can't be UC, I'd rather have a big dumb cheesy adaptation of G/FC than a brand new AU.
    Sieg Zeon!

I'm cautiously optimistic. The fact that it's being co-produced by Sunrise alleviates some of my initial concerns. But my biggest problem remains in that how do you tell a good Gundam story in only a couple of hours? And for that matter which timeline would you do or should they go original?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrise
    "plan to co-produce the first ever live action feature film of Gundam."
    Poor G-Saviour, his daddy doesn't love him.

Ah, the hermit arrives on down from his seclusion to impart his wisdom. How have you been Zeta-G?
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but analysing the language used and how Sunrise/Legendary have to agree on the mech design as well as the gentleman's comments about how it's not just making a film, "It's about creating a world" makes me think they'll be doing a new story.

As an aside, I really like that poster with the exhaust trail and horizon combining to make the "G". <3

I'm guessing it'll be a new AU, too. Easiest way to bring in new fans; that's how it's worked for the anime for 25 years.
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build threadPlamobot's trade thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ronové View Post
    Maybe I'm overthinking this, but analysing the language used and how Sunrise/Legendary have to agree on the mech design as well as the gentleman's comments about how it's not just making a film, "It's about creating a world" makes me think they'll be doing a new story.

As an aside, I really like that poster with the exhaust trail and horizon combining to make the "G". <3

Quote Originally Posted by Plamobot View Post
    I'm guessing it'll be a new AU, too. Easiest way to bring in new fans; that's how it's worked for the anime for 25 years.
    Not only do I agree with both of you that this project is going to be a new AU, but I think it will also be trilogy.

After thinking about it through the night, I have an idea of what kind of writer(s) and director are need for this to succeed. The creative team needs to be people who understand how to create a war drama. So far on my short list of directors is Christopher Nolan for two reasons: 1) he directed the sci-fi epic that is Interstellar, and 2) he directed the war drama Dunkirk.

Also, yes, that visual teaser image is genius. I wouldn't be surprised if they used that image as a teaser poster to put into movie theaters.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

I pray to God Micheal Bay will not be involved. I'm also kinda hoping this will be a entirely new store. I'm a little concerned how the original MSG would translate into a 2 hour long film and how well western audiences will accept the characters names. Yes I do know that did a 3 part movie version of that anime, but I feel a fresh story would work best for a live action movie.

Rumor has it that the film will be set in UC104.
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build threadPlamobot's trade thread

Quote Originally Posted by Plamobot View Post
    Rumor has it that the film will be set in UC104.
    That would be interesting as that would put it in-between the events of Hathaway's Flash.

ANN has a new article with a video of the panel discussing the announcement. While they do talk about building a world as mentioned above, that doesn't really guarantee an all new AU, as that is fairly standard Hollywood talk for describing the process of making a good film (especially of the sci-fi, fantasy, and/or horror genre; basically things not set in the "real" world). The updated article also brings up the "accidental" reveal I referenced in my previous post of a "UC2" project with an "overseas drama" format, set in UC 104 with a 2022 release date, as part of their already announced "UC NexT 0100" project.

Thinking about it logically, late UC is undefined enough in terms of the animated/canonical timeline, that they could have some of the benefits freedom of an AU with regards to pulling in a new audience, while still also allowing them to build on their favored child and appeal to the longtime Gundam fans, by showing them the world they already love in a new way (live action, as G-Saviour obviously doesn't count anymore, Legendary Gundam being the "first" live action Gundam movie still cracks me up; Sunrise love to hate on poor G-Saviour, see it getting Zilla'd by Nils Nielson in Build Fighters). Let's not forget, Unicorn is one of their most successful Gundam releases in the West (along with G and of course Wing), despite being deeply tied into UC lore/history. I've personally been able to use Unicorn to pull people into the fandom, and while Unicorn definitely left them asking questions at times, it was still strong enough to stand on its own as an appealing/compelling story. The other point to consider is Legendary's mecha/kaiju films tend to do really well in non-US markets like China, where Gundam most certainly is better established than it is in the US, so they will consider those markets as well when planning their movie. Honestly, the biggest potential problem I see on this UC2 "overseas drama" being the live action movie is that they also "accidentally" leaked a Hathaway's Flash trilogy as part of UC NexT 0100 project. UC2 being set in UC 104, and Hathaway's Flash being set in UC 105, doesn't leave a lot of room for UC2 to play within the timeline.

Plus, even if you still don't think UC is the way to go, let's not kid ourselves Sunrise loves UC to their own detriment with westerners at times. Remember when they followed the newer, higher budget animation of mega-hit Wing with the then 20-year old, lower budget animation of MSG on a children's network, instead of doing the logical thing and airing X like Cartoon Network and even Bandai Entertainment wanted? I mean I really love MSG and all, but that was obviously not the smartest move on their part from a marketing/growing the brand standpoint.

But as for the movie itself, whatever it may end up being, I'm giddy about the potential cast. Legendary has employed some really good actors in their mecha/kaiju films. Rinko Kikuchi, Idris Elba, Ken Watanabe, Bryan Cranston, Tom Hiddleston, and John Goodman just to name a few. Assuming they don't go for an actual teenage lead for a moment and go a little older for the protagonist (think Kou, Shiro, etc.), imagine someone like Rinko Kikuchi or Tom Hiddleston as the lead (or cool senpai) and some of the Awesome Old Men listed above as their Bright/Jamil-like ship captain and/or Gihren Zabi/Bask Om-esque villain. Obviously, they could have other actors besides the ones they've previously used, but you get the point. Legendary likes to get good actors for these sorts of projects. And for the love of all things mecha, please no gundamn Mary Sues or Gary Stus. Characters should have flaws and be compelling because of how they grow, succeed and/or fail because of these flaws; they should not be simple author/audience wish-fulfilment and/or pandering devices. And it would be a real shame if the movie gets a rock solid cast who are then immediately weighed down by poorly written, implausibly perfect characters. Plus let's be honest, part of Gundam's tried and true formula has always been to slap whiny, emotionally unstable, selfish, flawed, albeit highly talented, immature teenagers/young adults into being less selfish, more mature characters over the course of the story. Not having flawed characters who grow and evolve over the course of the story would be missing the point of Gundam entirely.
    Sieg Zeon!

I'm definitely a little worried about it but seeing as how it's been a hot minute since G-Saviour released and Legendary is involved in the movie I have some hope. Legendary has a pretty good track record when it comes to monster movies and even the occasional mecha movie (Pacific Rim). I believe if any studio will be able to capture the essence of Gundam it'll be them. So I'm definitely hopeful that it'll be more faithful to what Gundam is.

1. how ya been Zeta-G Glad to see you've come out of your Cave. How's Bakunetsumaru?

2. I think you and the others have nailed all my expectations on the head at this point so I won't throw my two cents in since it's already been said by more intelligent peeps than myself.

3. If they go the UC/Canon AU route I would SO want either War in the Pocket, 8th MS Team, or X to be adapted. They have everything a western and eastern audience would want imo. Awesome fight scenes? Check, Romance subplots? You got it! Antiwar message out in the open yet delightfully subtle? You Betchya! IMO these three are the PRIME examples of how to do Gundam RIGHT. Now there may be more that I'm missing and strangely enough IBO i don't count if only thats a whole bag of cats I have YET to dive into (Though mind you I have seen both seasons)...and the Build series is really a glorified toy commercial...Not that there's anything wrong with that and they are awesome XD. Any who

4. If they go with a whole new AU All I am asking for in that is the core basics are nailed down and DONE RIGHT. If they add one or all of the themes I've spoken about above and then some Fantastic, but I'm also hoping they make the STORY, the SETTING, and the CHARACTERS unique but familiar to both Veterans of the Gundam Metaverse and newcomers into the franchise.

5. To be completely Honest this thing is about as epic as Dune. Meaning I hope they don't David Lynch it aka condense an 800 page book (or in this case a massive story of such scale and grandeur) into a 1-2 Hour movie. I actually would prefer if they made it into a 2-3 part movie. Gundam would be better formatted to this and The hobbit shockingly enough made a good call spreading its story out over 3 movies (dont' get me wrong it embellished/added some stuff to pad the time but still good call) and Gundam would be better off having a 2-3 Movie Trilogy than a Single movie. That is IF they do an adaptation. If they are able to tell a coherent, diverse, and fantastic Gundam Story with all the stuff both Gundam and Non Gundam Fans can enjoy than I applaud them.

All in all, I'm looking forward with this, though on the other hand despite all that I said here I'm still a bit nervous given Sunrises LAST attempt at a Live Action Gundam. Granted they are now doing a rodeo with a much bigger studio than with the one that did G-Savior but still, it only takes one dumbass to screw it all up. One more on to drop the colony if you would. For now I'll be keeping an eye on this and seeing how it goes. I still hold out hope that it will knock us out of the ball park but then again eh...

"Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

Sword Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Rxslinger View Post
    I pray to God Micheal Bay will not be involved. I'm also kinda hoping this will be a entirely new store. I'm a little concerned how the original MSG would translate into a 2 hour long film and how well western audiences will accept the characters names. Yes I do know that did a 3 part movie version of that anime, but I feel a fresh story would work best for a live action movie.
    There's no word of Micheal Bay. We've only heard from Legendary's offiicial site that the movie will be "over-seen" by Cayl Boyter, a producer who's been involved in films like Noah, Blade Trinity,The butterfly Effect, and most relevant here... Pacific Rim Uprising. So yeah, it makes sense that we might get more folks involved with the two Pacific Rim films on this movie since they're both Legendary and those were mecha movies.

So I suppose if things go poorly, it'll be a repeat of Uprising. But here's hoping they learned from their mistakes with that film.
    https://www.legendary.com/legendary-...dam-franchise/

Screenshot(10).png
    Ways to reach me if the site really does go down:
    Discord: BadWrongFun#0889
    Email: badwrongfun@gmx.com
    Mastodon:https://glitch.social/web/accounts/41917
    Twitter: @bad_wrong_fun