Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

View Poll Results: So far, which of the following is the best Zeta?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Perfect Grade (2000)

1 10.00%
  • MG Ver.2.0 (2005)

2 20.00%
  • Real Grade (2012)

1 10.00%
  • HGUC G.E.P. (2017)

6 60.00%

Question What is the best version of the Zeta Gundam?

Out of the options above, which is the definitive version of the Zeta Gundam?

Re: What is the best version of the Zeta Gundam?

HGUC Zeta (GEP) is the best IMO. It's a really great looking, highly articulated kit, with a great build. The MG 2.0 is second because the shoulder joints suck, and it's extremely back heavy (you will need an action base or the stand that comes with it). It does have a really great build however.
    Pro tip for fixing seam lines: It rubs the puddy on its seam or else it gets the hose again.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsAndDust View Post
    HGUC Zeta (GEP) is the best IMO. It's a really great looking, highly articulated kit, with a great build. The MG 2.0 is second because the shoulder joints suck, and it's extremely back heavy (you will need an action base or the stand that comes with it). It does have a really great build however.
    All Zeta Gundams, no matter what grade, tend to be back heavy.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    All Zeta Gundams, no matter what grade, tend to be back heavy.
    True, but the MG 2.0 has ungodly terrible balance. It's not too terrible of a problem (unlike the shoulders) because the model comes with a base, but you can't do all the cool poses that the HGUC GEP Zeta can do.
    Pro tip for fixing seam lines: It rubs the puddy on its seam or else it gets the hose again.

True, but the MG 2.0 has ungodly terrible balance. It's not too terrible of a problem (unlike the shoulders) because the model comes with a base, but you can't do all the cool poses that the HGUC GEP Zeta can do.
    Fair point. In fact, I have a Zeta 2.0 and the balance really is out of whack. Considering the advancements made in Gunpla technology, I'd really like to see a Zeta 3.0 even if it was a technology demonstrator like the RX-78-2 3.0.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

I haven’t built my 2.0 and my PG is missing the whole runner of chrome parts. So I can only go off of what I have built so far. With that being said, the RG is a nimph from HELL! It is is a small exercise of the ability to not throw something against a wall. The transformation is a joke, some parts are so small and the plastic so soft they bend (looking at you leg clips) Then when you try to take them off and fix them they have a tendency to fly and never be seen again. Then if you do get it built, good luck standing. I think it is part spaghetti. He just flops around. Yes I built 2 of them. The normal Zeta, and the Unicorn Zeta.
    On the other hand the HGUC is solid and stable. Granted it is comparing apples to oranges, but it is just a better kit.

- - - Updated - - -

and it's extremely back heavy (you will need an action base or the stand that comes with it).
    Wait....what? A Gundam that is back heavy? No say it isn’t so! I have never seen such a creature....(ehem......Strike Freedom).

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

Voted for the Real Grade because I had zero issues with it.
    Getting back into Gunpla, slowly.

Resident Efreet and resident shark person.

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    Wait....what? A Gundam that is back heavy? No say it isn’t so! I have never seen such a creature....(ehem......Strike Freedom).
    I only complain about back heaviness when the back weighs more than the rest of the kit. That said, it's not much of a problem due to the fact that it comes with a stand. The bad news is that you can't really get any cool poses out of that because of the back weight and also the manner in which a stand/action base must connect to it.

The first Gundam model I built was the RG Zeta, what a nightmare. It falls apart. I glued everything! Now, I want to replace the RG model with HGUC. I hope it does not fall apart and won't give me a heart attack when assembling like the RG, pieces are so small, they get lost easily, all kinds of problems. The RG model is beautiful though, lots of details.

I also want the buy the ZZ kit 1/144 HG but I'm very worried because of my experience with RG Zeta. Is it like the Zeta RG? Is it very hard to assemble? Will it fall apart easily? How's the transformation. Should I get 2 sets, one for the mobile suit and the other for the transformation? The ZZ is made up of 3 separate components, they dock in mid air, does the model reflect this? Thanks in advance for any info on this....

The original ZZ HG from 1990 does have the the three part docking that was seen in the anime, but it is very solid and does not fall apart, though the poseability suffers because of it. The HGUC ZZ from 2010 does not have the three part docking and transforms through part swapping. It has decent poseability and is also a very solid kit.

The original ZZ HG from 1990 does have the the three part docking that was seen in the anime, but it is very solid and does not fall apart, though the poseability suffers because of it. The HGUC ZZ from 2010 does not have the three part docking and transforms through part swapping. It has decent poseability and is also a very solid kit.
    Thanks, that's helpful information. I checked out the youtube video for the 1990 ZZ model and it appears to be firm. I am very very curious about the transformation. That is my first choice kit if it is available. On eBay, some sellers in Japan are taking pre-orders for the 1990 ZZ. I have never pre-ordered on eBay as I do not pay for a product that does not yet exist. I have however, pre-ordered online directly from hobby shops in Japan. I am not sure when the 1990 ZZ model will be re-released. Does anyone have any idea on this? I will likely buy only when it becomes available. It's expensive but it's worth it. The transformation is like magic. From the youtube video, I can see that the touch and feel of the 1990 model is special.

There's a Canada Post strike going on right now and I cannot order anything online, so I'm browsing. Once the strike ends and mail services resume to normal, I will order the Zeta HGUC first and settle that. The ZZ will wait. I definitely prefer the ZZ 1990 model to the HGUC model. Both are bulky. I have space constraints, so the 1/100 models are off limits for me, I focus on 1/144 models.

I forgot the mention that I feel bad throwing out or taking apart the RG Zeta for HGUC, I'm sentimental! After putting in so much effort into building it. It's my first model, it was very hard to assemble. Sigh.

Make sure you get the "Gunpla Evolution Project" HGUC Zeta from 2017 and not the HGUC Zeta from 2003. I have both, and the one from 2003 sucks.

As for the old HG ZZ, Kakarot197 shows off the transformation in his video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT0ZXeRKZTw