Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marks WIPs

Re: Marks WIPs

No problems. It is good on detail and about 80% on fit, so it requires a bit of persuasion. I found a vid of someone showing the P-Bandai Weapons Spru on a unboxing of the kit and it looks to be a direct copy of it. The shield needs a pollycap (doesn't come with one, just a plastic one), but one of the leftovers on the KAI is the correct one. Also sellers show it with decals and pink beams for the beam swords. It doesn't come with these though. Just 3 plastic spru. I was ok with this because that's all I needed. I found someone selling assembled red frame KAI for 19 dollars as well, they had 5 for sale. Was tempted to get hold of one for my green frame project. If they are Bandai they snap apart ok. If they are Deban, good luck with that. lol

All this said I Have the red frame almost complete, 2 blue frames on the go and my QAN[T]...... I should probably just finish them first.

But then I saw this

http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/dab...ay-mb-ver-8806

lol would have solved all my requirements and given me another red frame. Oh well

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

$50! damn! That sounds a bit high. But I don't follow daban so it might be a good price not sure.
    I'm still on the never ending quest for a second scabbard for my PG I have two Metal swards but it only comes with 1 scabbard. Getting swards is not a problem, it's just getting something to put them in. That has become something of a quest for me. I might end up just recasting a resin copy of the one I have and reversing it, or making a part so they can be held together on one hip. Damn Astrays.
    Why was it so easy to get all of them in RG, Red, Green, Blue, Gold, and the Gold frame Amatsu Mina, but anything else is a damn 5 part quest? And then don't forget about the elusive Purple Frame. Damn it, STOP IT Bandai!!

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

I'm still waiting for a green frame. They are out but just looking for one that I can afford. Damn P-Bandai. And the other Gold is still in the box waiting her turn to be built. Just too much on the table right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll keep an eye out on the scabbard for the PG and let you know if I see anything. I'm always looking for Astray stuff. Yeah it really sucks that they don't release more MG base unit Astrays, it's not like they are not popular. They have done special release PG's in the different colours and yup, everything in RG and HG.

Woke up with a cold so I have taken the day off work.

And yes... the mirage frame. Still mostly a basic Astray and the difference in the head fins could be scratch built. The other weapons.... a bit more difficult.

Well in my less than healthy state, other than sleep I did mange to apply some decals to some parts. Been looking for a "family tree" for the Astray line... back to Google.

- - - Updated - - -

Long day at work still feeling like crap from a head cold. Just pottering with some bits from various kits and laying some decals. The red with smoke clear post shading on the edges came up quite nice. definitely getting good value from my clear colours.

20180620_224619.jpg
    Last edited by Mark; June 19, 2018 at 10:17 PM.

But then I saw this

http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/dab...ay-mb-ver-8806

lol would have solved all my requirements and given me another red frame. Oh well.

I have been looking at that as well, need see some reviews I think before buying though.

Quote Originally Posted by rockpopandchips View Post
    I have been looking at that as well, need see some reviews I think before buying though.
    Looking through the instructions, it looks like a hybrid that Daban have come up with that Bandai don't do. The Katanas and how they attach is different to the normal MG red frame. Building the blue Frame D in both Bandai and Daban, I can say that while it is a copy and things like nub quality is less where it joins the part and some pegs are tight Daban have come a long way from their earlier bootlegs.

- - - Updated - - -

To flat or to gloss..... The post shading looks nice on gloss but the QAN[T] should probably be flat and satin. Plus I went darkish on the colour so when it's flat coated it doesn't go super pale.

20180621_235541.jpg

The Astray flight pack now has tracking so I should see it next week.

- - - Updated - - -

Body unit finished on the Qan[t].

20180623_231930.jpg

Also got most of the parts for the second blue frame D backpack painted and decal'd. will do some panel linig and final coating tomorrow if the weather is ok

- - - Updated - - -

Most of the parts for the Bandai Blue Frame D Vouivre Striker pack are finished. A little more detailing as I assemble but it's coming up nicely.

20180624_231013.jpg

RPC. the parts look good on the Deban red frame MB version ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFQPMPcdBzk

It looks to be a 1/100 somewhere in between a MG and PG, a lot more parts. The leg side armour for instance is not 1 piece it's made up of several pieces where the MG is just the one piece. the vents on the legs are also multiple parts so far less masking if you want the vent outer a frame colour and the inner a metal colour. It really does appear to be a Red frame with the lot. Even the red frame parts are different shades of red. Sucks to be me as I just spent more than that getting the extra bits. I may get one as the base blue frame and paint it anyway. I think the blue frame also at one time used a blue flight pack in the manga.
    Last edited by Mark; June 24, 2018 at 10:00 AM.

Hi Mark, it really looks like quite a bit like the 1/100 of the Nillson Works Astray. But that fight pack is so nice, it definitely worthwhile getting one just for that and the swords.

Yeah I was thinking that with the Nillson Works as well, very similar judging from the unboxing vids and what I have seen so far of yours. Good lord... Its 4:24am and I'm just about to head out to work..... Oh well early start means early finish... sadly not this time... deadlines to meet lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Second Striker pack complete. The Bandai is definitely a better unit. Everything works with no modification. in particular the upper engine nacelle's slide forward and back with ease, where the Deban detail wise is fine, but its really difficult to move. Not a show stopper so long as you trial fit and sand back any binding parts.

I was just mucking around with my ARW, did a mod to cut back the giant blocks (thrusters) on the shoulders. I can't find my pin vice anywhere. Want to add some holes in the parts now showing and possibly some styrene sheet and bits. I think it looks better. I'm only about half way through replacing the kit stickers with decals and might do some armour edge post shading. I actually like this guy.

Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark; July 10, 2018 at 10:50 AM.

Nice very nice!

A bit of preliminary shading and candy work on the effects wings Astray flight pack. The plastic is all textured so rather than sanding it all back i've decided to satin coat and blend out to flat once i've applied some water slides. The red frame astray has satin and matt candy so it should go ok with it. I'll mask and do the vent insides stainless steel. the dark grey parts will be a base of gunmetal with blending to a metallic black.

20180630_213556.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

dam.... darn.. dam. Lol

Rule number 1 with Mr Mark Setter. don't touch it till it's fully dried as it softens Acrylic... That's the whole point of it. Unless you want spotty acrylic paint. Also if its shaded so the Acrylic paint is thin don't leave any on it, clean it up from the paint immediately..... Another good reason for a decent clear coat before applying decals.

Anyway got some decals on the wing parts of the Effects Wings back pack. And some spots They are staying, this is just a background bit of kit to be part of the displayed weapons stash for the red frame. I will keep telling myself that until the day comes I strip the parts back and re-paint them. lol

20180704_003034.jpg
    Last edited by Mark; July 3, 2018 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I will keep telling myself that until the day comes I strip the parts back and re-paint them. lol
    AAhhhh the lies we tell ourselves so we can sleep at night. I'm all to familiar with the "That's not a mistake, I meant that to be there. Ya I meant it....really I did."

But it actually looks really good from my side of the screen.

Administrator

Some really nice work man. Keep it up.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

LOL GM... exactly.. I can even add some chipping and panel wash to the mista.... I mean intended weathering.

Thanks thwalker. I'm really enjoying getting into the gunpla, great distraction from the grind. I just wish the weather would warm up a bit here, trekking out to the workshop to paint and then back in the cold and dark is no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    AAhhhh the lies we tell ourselves so we can sleep at night. I'm all to familiar with the "That's not a mistake, I meant that to be there. Ya I meant it....really I did."

But it actually looks really good from my side of the screen.
    That just about everything I have ever built...... Weathering and flat coat is your friend

Your painting looks lush from here Mark.

It's actually much nicer than in the pics from my Tablet. once I get it all finished I'll drag the lights out and take some better pics. the panel lining doesn't even show in those pics but it's actually there and quite thick and black. Satin and flat usually tones it down a bit. I'm hoping to get home early from work and get most of it finished, but we will see.

- - - Updated - - -

This pic shows the spots better. I'll come up with some way to tone them down, possibly mask and some clear red with the .2 airbrush.but i'm happy enough for now. the Effects wings requires a lot of work if you wnt to be real particular with it. I may still get the Daban red frame MB which comes with a much nicer flight pack, but the effects wings is probably closer to the anime version

Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark; July 10, 2018 at 10:51 AM.