Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Question Which armor material amongst all the Gundam universes/timelines is the "best"?

    Hey guys, I'm a recent Gundam enthusiast (I recently discovered what Gundam was and am now pretty obsessed with it) and because I want to know more about the Gundam franchise, I've joined this forum. This is my first post, and I'm hoping I'm not breaking any rules by doing what I'm doing (I read the official rule topic that's stickied, because well, it's the obvious thing to do, and I wanted to be sure, y'know)? Among the things I've been looking up about the Gundam universe, it's versus threads (and yeah, I know it's very controversial so I'm not going to say anything about that specifically), and one thing that really nagged me was, well, the title of the thread says it I've been doing research on it, and so far, what I've found is that the nano-laminate "paint-armor" (from Iron-Blooded-Orphans) if I'm not mistaken is pretty weak, and according to what a user said in another forum (not really a Gundam forum; it was actually a forum about games in general I think), E-Carbon in the 00 universe is 20 times stronger than carbon nano-tubes (I'm not what sure what they meant by "stronger", because I'm aware that there are different aspects of a material that determine how protective they can be like hardness, tensile strength, etc; another thing that I'd really like to find out is the full potential of what carbon nano-tubes can do in terms of protecting something, because that would give a pretty good idea of how E-Carbon performs as armor assuming the x20 statement is true), but otherwise not much. I'll still be researching on this on my own, but I admit I'm not very knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, I'm a 15 year old who struggles with Algebra 2 in high school (hopefully not to many of you guys will have raised eyebrows lol), which is why I came here, haha. But meh. I'd be really interested in what you guys think

    Also, I'd like all answers to strictly refer to the actual material of the armor; things like GN particles and psycho-frames (the things that the Awakened Unicorn and Banshee used to block a colony laser if memory serves. Also, I admit that the only universe I have the most knowledge about so far is the 00 universe, dunno that much about the other series; I plan on going into the rest of the Gundam series, starting with Unicorn) don't count as objects of discussion that are relevant to what I'm questioning. So yeah, thank you for reading this if you are this far!
    Last edited by Danthespearton; April 30, 2018 at 8:01 PM.

  2. #2

    Re: Which armor material amongst all the Gundam universes/timelines is the "best"?

    I don't think there is an answer to your question. The rules are different between UC and other series and then there's differences amongst them as well.

    Also, UC shifted from trying to design better armor to essentially finding technology that makes armor unnecessary. CE has phase shift armor which makes standard ammunition nearly useless.

    Idk who said nano-lamented armor from IBO is weak... It actually appears to be one of the toughest armors in any series. It can talk large rounds and standard ammunition and is immune to beam weapons. Put it up against UC tech and it has a clear advantage with later UC Ms pretty much excessively using beam weapons.

    Then 00 has its "super strong" e-carbon which is further strengthened by GN particles.

    I could go on, but saying there is a "best" when comparing universes really comes down to opinion and some small differences in ability. But, imo, I would say IBO armor is on the better end with UC on the lower end.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Delmarva
    Posts
    836

    Re: Which armor material amongst all the Gundam universes/timelines is the "best"?

    I don't remember the number off the top of my head, but do a google search for nano tube strength vs kevlar. There were ratios from back when they were talking about the early development, but I stopped hearing them a while ago. (I don't know if they stopped development, or hit a stalemate). You can then take the tensile strength for kevlar, and do the multiplication from that.

    As for Nano Laminate Armor, it wasn't actually armor, so much as a paint coating that increases the hardness/beam defense of the machine. They had to replace it after every battle, since it was more like a ceramic/powder coating that was only a few microns thick, and would fail after absorbing a few hits. Kinda akin to boron-carbon body armor used the military.
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

    If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Danthespearton View Post
    Hey guys, I'm a recent Gundam enthusiast (I recently discovered what Gundam was and am now pretty obsessed with it) and because I want to know more about the Gundam franchise, I've joined this forum. This is my first post, and I'm hoping I'm not breaking any rules by doing what I'm doing (I read the official rule topic that's stickied, because well, it's the obvious thing to do, and I wanted to be sure, y'know)? Among the things I've been looking up about the Gundam universe, it's versus threads (and yeah, I know it's very controversial so I'm not going to say anything about that specifically), and one thing that really nagged me was, well, the title of the thread says it I've been doing research on it, and so far, what I've found is that the nano-laminate "paint-armor" (from Iron-Blooded-Orphans) if I'm not mistaken is pretty weak, and according to what a user said in another forum (not really a Gundam forum; it was actually a forum about games in general I think), E-Carbon in the 00 universe is 20 times stronger than carbon nano-tubes (I'm not what sure what they meant by "stronger", because I'm aware that there are different aspects of a material that determine how protective they can be like hardness, tensile strength, etc; another thing that I'd really like to find out is the full potential of what carbon nano-tubes can do in terms of protecting something, because that would give a pretty good idea of how E-Carbon performs as armor assuming the x20 statement is true), but otherwise not much. I'll still be researching on this on my own, but I admit I'm not very knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, I'm a 15 year old who struggles with Algebra 2 in high school (hopefully not to many of you guys will have raised eyebrows lol), which is why I came here, haha. But meh. I'd be really interested in what you guys think

    Also, I'd like all answers to strictly refer to the actual material of the armor; things like GN particles and psycho-frames (the things that the Awakened Unicorn and Banshee used to block a colony laser if memory serves. Also, I admit that the only universe I have the most knowledge about so far is the 00 universe, dunno that much about the other series; I plan on going into the rest of the Gundam series, starting with Unicorn) don't count as objects of discussion that are relevant to what I'm questioning. So yeah, thank you for reading this if you are this far!
    Just wanted to throw in Gundanium and Lunar Titanium in the mix for armor materials. I'm quite intrigued by your question and am now itching for information. Welcome to Gundam Dan!

    Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Correct Century
    Posts
    2,605

    Re: Which armor material amongst all the Gundam universes/timelines is the "best"?

    Don't forget the nanomachines from the Correct Century!
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build thread Plamobot's trade thread

  6. #6

    Re: Which armor material amongst all the Gundam universes/timelines is the "best"?

    Quote Originally Posted by justicebeaver View Post
    I don't think there is an answer to your question. The rules are different between UC and other series and then there's differences amongst them as well.

    Also, UC shifted from trying to design better armor to essentially finding technology that makes armor unnecessary. CE has phase shift armor which makes standard ammunition nearly useless.

    Idk who said nano-lamented armor from IBO is weak... It actually appears to be one of the toughest armors in any series. It can talk large rounds and standard ammunition and is immune to beam weapons. Put it up against UC tech and it has a clear advantage with later UC Ms pretty much excessively using beam weapons.

    Then 00 has its "super strong" e-carbon which is further strengthened by GN particles.

    I could go on, but saying there is a "best" when comparing universes really comes down to opinion and some small differences in ability. But, imo, I would say IBO armor is on the better end with UC on the lower end.
    Hmmm, about the Nano-laminate armor, here's what I found one guy say about it somewhere online; "Nanolaminated Armor is mostly effective against firearms and even then they can still get pierced by them. High heat melts them, so Exia's beam rifle shots would have no problem piercing them. Exia also has flight capabilities so if this was on ground, it can just fly and shoot Barbatos from there. Beam weapons kinda defeats the main purpose on why they exist in their universe in the first place and force other mobile suits to use melee. In fact, this fight is really one sided. Without any anti beam or special energy properties, Barbatos' melee weapons can't even block against Exia's beam sabers."
    I'm really confused now, because I thought Nano-laminate armor was supposed to render beam weaponry useless.

    And oh, thanks guys for being welcoming, it's nice I guess, haha

  7. #7

    Re: Which armor material amongst all the Gundam universes/timelines is the "best"?

    It's shown in IBO that... Which was it?.... Flauros? Or was it aShiden? Jumps in front of the Hashmals beam to block it but only ends up dispersing it. In comparing beams, the Hashmals looks more violent then Seravee imo.

    Are you trying to compare the whole MS or just the armor? Because, I know you're quoting someone but now about Exia or beam users flying.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    812

    Re: Which armor material amongst all the Gundam universes/timelines is the "best"?

    ^Yep. That was Ride in his Shiden. Episode 36. The most significant damage it got was getting its right hand blown off along with its rifle. Impressive durability.

    The farming facility behind it got completely wiped out, though. That was sad.

  9. #9

    Re: Which armor material amongst all the Gundam universes/timelines is the "best"?

    Quote Originally Posted by justicebeaver View Post
    It's shown in IBO that... Which was it?.... Flauros? Or was it aShiden? Jumps in front of the Hashmals beam to block it but only ends up dispersing it. In comparing beams, the Hashmals looks more violent then Seravee imo.

    Are you trying to compare the whole MS or just the armor? Because, I know you're quoting someone but now about Exia or beam users flying.
    The latter, I want to know which armor material in the Gundam franchise is arguably the best material (for example, Luna Titanium vs. Gundanium Alloy). That being said, what you said about the Hashmal beam being more destructive than the Seravee from 00 is pretty interesting, I'm going to look on that later,

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Delmarva
    Posts
    836

    Re: Which armor material amongst all the Gundam universes/timelines is the "best"?

    Going by series shown effects,


    UC's Lunar Titanium/Gundarium alloys offer only marginal beam defense. It's biggest claim to fame early on, was to withstand the Zaku's machine gun, but even that has been retconn'ed. I-Fields became the primary beam defense option other than blocking with shields/cloaks

    G Gundam nothing was really made about magic armor.

    the strongest single armor is Gundanium Alloy from wing. It is one of the only armor shown to take multiple hits from both beam guns, and beam melee weapons, and significant physical attacks without damage, and does not require constant maintenance to be performed.

    X no real mythical armor in this series either.

    Turn A, the only super special thing about the armor was that the nano machines equipped on the machine would repair itself.

    Seed/Destiny's Phase Shift Armor was able to completely negate physical attacks until the suits ran out of power. At certain levels, it could even negate attacks from Beam Weaponry (Genesis was able to negate multiple positronic cannon, and beam cannon barrages from multiple warships)

    00's E Carbon had a higher strength to weight ratio, but didn't provide any real defensive properties that exceeded standard UC Lunar Titanium. It was the GN Fields that lets them lessen beam based attacks.

    Age didn't really pull much on the armor strengths beyond saying the Vagan Armor was strong enough to stop standard beam shots early on. With the development of the DODs rifle, that armor got negated.

    IBO's nanolaminate armor is capable of taking a direct beam cannon blast, and several physical hits before failing, but it needs replacement after every battle.

    Build XYZ - polystyrene armor, so fragile, it can break if you look at it wrong, not recommended for any kind of defense.

    Beyond that, there is power to weight ratios, and plenty of other rabbit holes to jump down.
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

    If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Correct Century
    Posts
    2,605

    Re: Which armor material amongst all the Gundam universes/timelines is the "best"?

    Quote Originally Posted by thewhitewolfofsolomon View Post
    build xyz - polystyrene armor, so fragile, it can break if you look at it wrong, not recommended for any kind of defense.
    bwahahahahaha
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build thread Plamobot's trade thread


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 29, 2018, 3:49 PM
  2. 1/100 Auldey Full Armor Dussack EV-0666 "Red Knight"
    By MuGGzy in forum The Ego Zone, aka The Member Model Gallery
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 10, 2017, 3:31 PM
  3. 1/100 MS GN-006 Cherudim Gundam w/ Custom Diorama - "True sight"
    By ommeh in forum The Ego Zone, aka The Member Model Gallery
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 23, 2014, 1:41 PM
  4. MARSOCM42RD Gundam Poseidon FS/A Config "Merciless Trident"
    By TheMeatheadGeek in forum The Ego Zone, aka The Member Model Gallery
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: December 5, 2012, 3:45 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 7, 2012, 4:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •