Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

FBX WIPs and Build Blog

Hey all! I'm a returning Gunpla enthusiest who recently built his first 1/144 after 20 years. Since the last time I built Gundam I was cutting parts with scissors and thought nubs were just something you dealt with, I very much consider myself to be a total beginner so I think it makes sense to track my own progress along with my builds.

Although I knocked off the rust with a 1/144 Act II Zaku, I wasn't satisfied with the two hours of build time and decided to jump to 1/100. IBO* got me back into Gundam so I started there. My current WIPs are Barbatos Lupus Rex and Bael, both 100% built and in various stages of customization.

1524608316702-1171258164.jpg

On Barbatos i've only clipped the collar armor to allow the head more freedom, and tried out panel lining with a mechanical pencil. I don't think it looks too bad, but i'm not going to continue until I get a smaller pencil. Bael I used Gundam Markers to panel line and provide accent highlights and I think that turned out much better. I also built Bael using the standard progression as opposed to the suggested manner of frame first listed in the IBO Full Mechanics inserts and enjoyed that process more.

1524608915830-80995536.jpg

I also tried my hand at painting one of Bael's wings. I still like the concept, but the execution is definitely lacking. Needless to say I need to thin my paints and be more careful with my masking. I'm looking forward to stripping this and trying again, as I want my Bael to be as sleek and shiny as possible. As I improve, I'm looking forward to goldwashing the swords, which I've already filed to sharpened edges.

Up next for me is Kimaris Booster Type! I'm going to try accent painting the frame as I go this time.

I've only been building again for about six weeks, so I definitely welcome some feedback from everyone! Thanks for taking a look!

* - Unicorn deserves a lot of credit, but I'm saving it for my first 1/60 or 1/40 if one's out there!

Re: FBX WIPs and Build Blog

Welcome back in! It definitely took me a few months of cutting my teeth again to get back into it, and it's looking like you're off to a good start! As far as a Unicorn, there's the Mega Size Unicorn that's 1/48 scale.

Re: FBX WIPs and Build Blog

Quote Originally Posted by ScornMandark View Post
    Welcome back in! It definitely took me a few months of cutting my teeth again to get back into it, and it's looking like you're off to a good start! As far as a Unicorn, there's the Mega Size Unicorn that's 1/48 scale.
    Thanks for the info! Looking over available Unicorns, I think i'm just going to pick up the 1/144 Green Psychoframe Destroyer Mode.

Getting back to my 1/100's, i've been adding gold details to Barbatos...20180527_172209.jpg20180527_171454.jpg20180527_171407.jpg ... and taking my time working on Kimaris. Panel lining needs cleaned up but I'm pretty happy with the silver on the frame. Half of the helmet's crest broke, so I grabbed my nippers and a lighter and did my first attempt at battle damage!

Being patient and diligent with my masking and painting in the past few build sessions is making a huge difference. Once Kimaris is finished i'm foing to strip and repaint Bael.