Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
    Super Moderator

How many is too many? Unicorn edition

So this was posted on FB today. A view of every Unicorn frame variant that has been released, be it model of figure.

Is it time to move on to something new... just maybe? lol

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

Re: How many is too many? Unicorn edition

Aren't they moving on from the RX-78-2 to the Unicorn?

How many of those are there out there?

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

Captain of the 1/72 Brigade
    "The Scale of Tragedy"
    Conrad<Kahrys<Shepard<937<Nasir<Malenko<Nathen

Oh my God I didn't realize there was that many of them.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Exia View Post
    Aren't they moving on from the RX-78-2 to the Unicorn?

How many of those are there out there?
    Probably just as many, but the Unicorn design is within an 8 year span vs the 38 yrs since the first gundam kit lol

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

Funny thing is that according to the interim results on that Japanese National Poll they posted a few weeks ago, the Unicorn isn't even in the top 10 most popular mobile suits. So I don't really get why they needed to make so many variants/kits/toys of it. I think there are plenty of other designs needing the love the Unicorn is getting from the Bandai production company.

I'd like to see that chart done with Zakus......
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWolfofSolomon View Post
    I'd like to see that chart done with Zakus......
    It would probably be triple that size lol But again, this is a lead suit that has been around for under 10 years. The zaku is almost 40 yrs old and is a grunt suit meant for an army.so there are legitimate reasons for so many.

It has had A LOT of the lime light but the RG line could still use the FA, plan b, and original banshee imo.

Also, it's not like it's a single suit. In the RD and HG at least they released the unicorn and destroy modes each then compound this by three different MS actually unicorn, banshee, phenex. So, 6 released minimum. Plus inner frame differences, exclusives, premium coating, different weapon versions.....

Honestly, I would say 60% of those releases needed to be released or there would be fan uproar.

I'm a 00 fan boy and I can say Setsuna suits also have an incredible, seemingly unnecessary, amount of variant releases.

One thing I would like to say. It saddens me to see stuff like this. As there are only a finite number of kits Bandai can make a year. I can only wonder what kind of selection would have been available if they only cut back or slowed down on these kinds of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginga Bishōnen View Post
    Funny thing is that according to the interim results on that Japanese National Poll they posted a few weeks ago, the Unicorn isn't even in the top 10 most popular mobile suits. So I don't really get why they needed to make so many variants/kits/toys of it. I think there are plenty of other designs needing the love the Unicorn is getting from the Bandai production company.
    Don't you mean the one by NHK?

Soruce: http://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/gundam/

I have some theories as to why the Unicorn did not make the list.

(1) Oversaturation: I am pretty sure this for the same reason the RX-78 only made it on 10th place. But at least the RX-78 had about 30 years longer of a time to flood the Gunpla market than the Unicorn. More over, there is some historical context behind the RX-78 to warrant having Bandai clinging on to it with it's talons, something the Unicorn lacks. But then again, I'm pretty sure the Transformation behind the Unicorn is one of the few reasons why I could see Bandai borderline using it as their one trick pony for model kit engineering. Seriously Bandai, quit beating a dead Unicorn, I'm starving to get concerned that the HGUC and MG molds are suffering from Mold Degradation. In other words, do you want to see the old Master Grade Unicorn mold end up like the Transformers Studio Series Bumblebee...

Or would you rather have a MG Unicorn Version 2.0?

(2) Voter Turnout: Due to the lack useful information when it even remotely comes to this subject matter, It's not quite worth even bothering to explain how the Voter Turnout would have effected the likelihood of the Unicorn appearing on the list.

(3) Americans Hate Tingle: Maybe Japanese audiences don't like the Unicorn as much as those in other countries?