Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

G.Wolfe's Gunprojects

Hi gentlemen!

I'm still pretty new to this hobby and haven't got much on my shelf other than model aircrafts.
    So lets just start with my very first gunpla, shall we?

Here's the MG Strike Freedom i picked up on Japan last year, cost me 4.800 yen plus a bit inconvenience carrying it around packed 777 cabin on peak season (box was huge!).

IMG_5453.jpgIMG_5467.jpg
    IMG_5445.jpgIMG_5449.jpg

Straight build with minimal weathering using artist's acrylics and pastel chalks, painted some parts red using mr. color acrylic and gold with gundam marker, gold frame is quite a dissapointment really although number of stickers and dry transfer decals are much appreciated. The Dragoon wings are very tedious to build but i like the result very much, i even painted some part of its frame silver.

IMG_54272lowres.jpg
    "You may fly as you want but no beam spamming inside the house"
    Last edited by G.Wolfe; March 30, 2018 at 3:10 PM.

RX-78-01 [N] Gundam local type

Next in line is the relatively new 1/144 RX-78-01 [N] Gundam local type from HG the Origin line

P4103135.jpg

Got this one after finishing the Strike Freedom. I believe the RX-78-01 [N] haven't got any screen time yet but it does bear a lot of resemblance with RX-79 [G] Gundam Ground Type which is supposed to be its successor along with the RAG-79-G1 Gundam Marine Type. It kinda make sense since RX-79 [G] are mostly made of leftover part from Gundam prototypes.

P4193158.jpg

Pretty bland kit when build as is, it only came with a small Ground Type styled shield, a couple of beam sabers and a 100mm machine gun. It has no thruster whatsoever except two hydrojet nozzle on the backpack, which all-in-all place it on the opposite end of the spectrum against Strike Freedom.

What bugged me the most was that ankle armor is molded together with shin part, somewhat limiting ankle articulation as shown on boxart pose above. The waist part is joined with torso using ball joint, which was pretty weak, altough it does give a bit more freedom on the waist join.

P4193161.jpg

So i decided to go all out with this kit. Fortunately the HGGO line is impressively detailed and come with loads of stickers, essentially making it a small MG / cheapo RG if one put some effort into it. I scribed some more panel line and painted some part with three shades of grey (Panzer grey, Primer grey, and Light gull grey) inspired by RG/PG RX-78-2, weathered it a bit then make a simple diorama base (based on dockside card model from Scalescenes.com ) to give some sense of scale.

P4193151.jpg

I made custom beam axe using lego crystal blue axe head part (p/n 53454), some length of plastic rod, wire and ballpoint tip, all painted with mr. color Panzer grey. Clear red sensor part on the gun was made using leftover clear red sprue.

Really fun build overall and now looking forward for the release of Ground Type Revive.

Now with ambigously zaku pose:

P4193170.jpg

"Beam axe to the face!"

Re: G.Wolfe's Gunprojects

Really great work. The weathering looks perfect, as do the decals. Those water or dry transfer?

Thanks! its stickers that come with the kit, but I cut excess film as much as I can

I started working on the Ez8 yesterday, beginning from the shield

Enemy weapon faced by Ground type Gundams were mostly consisted of heat weapons (Zaku hawk, Gouf sabre and Dom rod) and projectile weapons (ZMP and vulcan among other things) so i did the battle damage accordingly

P5083179.jpgP5083178.jpg

Some inspiration

a10-bullet3-1024x566.jpg

I brush painted the shield Light gull grey and handle part with German grey, both mr. color acrylic. I haven't yet painted the blue part as i still looking for a suitable colour

As you can see the paint is a bit cracked due to too thick top coat (my bad), i hope i could hide it with some dust filter, let me know your thought

Quote Originally Posted by G.Wolfe View Post
    I started working on the Ez8 yesterday, beginning from the shield

Enemy weapon faced by Ground type Gundams were mostly consisted of heat weapons (Zaku hawk, Gouf sabre and Dom rod) and projectile weapons (ZMP and vulcan among other things) so i did the battle damage accordingly

P5083179.jpgP5083178.jpg

Some inspiration

a10-bullet3-1024x566.jpg

I brush painted the shield Light gull grey and handle part with German grey, both mr. color acrylic. I haven't yet painted the blue part as i still looking for a suitable colour

As you can see the paint is a bit cracked due to too thick top coat (my bad), i hope i could hide it with some dust filter, let me know your thought
    Good job with the Shield, Wolf Cub.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouf_Ball View Post
    Good job with the Shield, Wolf Cub.
    Thank you!

Step 10 into the build and i'm starting to hate this kit, it has exposed seam lines every where!
    But i finally finished the shield and did some progress on torso unit:

P5153172.jpg

I painted the blue parts with Tamiya dark blue (TS-55) followed with drybrush using Mr. Hobby acrylic light gull grey (H 51) and Mr. Hobby weathering pastel light grey (PW05). Thruster bells were brush painted painted with Tamiya acrylic titanium silver (X-32) and Mr. Hobby Acrysion red madder (N 86).

The Tamiya titanium silver creates great finish even when brush painted and give just the perfect shade for thruster bells

The beige parts are primed already but still waiting for more light gull grey paint

P5153178.jpgP5153181.jpg
    P5153184.jpgP5153193.jpg

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

I lok at the "cracking paint" as a side effect of the heat weapons hitting it. Paint would have been under high heat then cooled then heated again. That would crack paint. So after a bit of grim and dirt it will look fine. Really nice job with the painting. But as nuch as I do so love the EZ-8 I fully understand the frustration with the seam lines, just wait till yo get to the arms.

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

Managed to get torso and head finished this weekend, I'll try to get better picture tomorrow

P6023173.jpgP6023178.jpgP6023176.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by G.Wolfe View Post

Had you not said anything, I would have assumed that the cracking effect was intentional to replicate heavy wear on the shield.

I love the Ez8

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsAndDust View Post
    Had you not said anything, I would have assumed that the cracking effect was intentional to replicate heavy wear on the shield.
    Well, then i could say it's a succesfull acccident

Quote Originally Posted by Iris_Aznable View Post
    I love the Ez8
    Same! although i like the regular RX-79[G] Ground type the most

Here's the picture i promised, with more dirt and filth!

P6023180.jpgP6023183.jpg
    P6023174.jpgP6023177.jpg
    P6023182.jpg

Some very nice work going on here.

Testing LED monoeye on the RG Z'gok

RG MSM-07S Z'gok

Finally finished the RG Z'gok, Very fun build overall and a nice variation from usual humanoid form Gundams. I appreciated the effort taken by Bandai to make RG frame of this MS.

edited-8063210-2.jpgedited-8063220-2.jpgedited-8063207.jpgedited-8063208.jpg

I replaced the monoeye lens with LED and pla rod sleeve, the LED was painted over with red acrylic to make it glow instead of shine. Arm and thigh armours were painted with Mr. Hobby black (2) and the monoeye sleeve, Iron nails, cockpit door, armpit panels, crotch thruster(?) and propellers were all painted with RJ london Chrome spray paint. Decals were taken from Gundam the origin multiuse waterslide decal which includes marking for HG char's zaku I and II.

The batteries for the LED is stored inside right hand back thruster. I had to scrape several inner frame pieces and make a hole on the back to fit the cables and the batteries. I used batteries from that small laser pointer which fits perfectly inside the back thruster.