Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would anyone else like to see them Remake F91 as it was originally sopost to be?

This just popped in my head.

I wonder what F91 would have ended up like if they were allowed to make the whole thing the way it was originally intended to be?

Re: Would anyone else like to see them Remake F91 as it was originally sopost to be?

Yeah, that would be pretty awesome. Seabook/Kincaido is probably my favorite UC protagonist, and one of my favorites overall. Would of loved to see the movie's story arc spread out and told properly over at least 15 episodes instead of the 2 hours we got in the movie. And if they animated Crossbone Gundam with it, that would be even cooler.

Re: Would anyone else like to see them Remake F91 as it was originally sopost to be?

I think it would be nice, but you have to be careful and cautious otherwise you could run into the remaster/remake problem:

While the video above applies more to video games than anime TV shows, the core concept still remains: producing a remaster/remake could potentially stymie and stagnate studio creativity.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Very true Zeta.

But, in the case of Bandai... I feel like its a mix of a little too late and lack luster new series.
    I mean they already did a remake of the original. Than they have the origin Series. And weren't they rumored to remake Z?
    So, They seem to already be doing remakes.

And the new stuff like IBO, Build Fighters, Reconguista in G, Age, OO, and Seed seem to be all flash and no substance. Its straight up depressing to think SEED was the MOST successful Gundam ever made...

With the direction Bandai is taking the Gundam franchise I really dont know if I could really get into anything they put out in the future anymore. I was so hopeful with Thunderbolt and the first one wasn't bad. But Bandai seem determined to ruin that series.

So, I guess to me they just seem to be remaking the wrong stuff. I cant really say anything about the new stuff. Simply because I straight up dont like most of it. "I don't like how ridiculously over stylized these new mechs are. And the ridiculously OP characters."

But, when it comes to F91 it's always kinda been it own thing. The Mechs are all unique. And it has to be the ONE series that could truly benefit from being remade. Especially if they remake it they way it was originally intended to be.

The current Gundam: The Origin OVA's I would say are more or less prequels to the original 1979 series (and subsequent compilation films.) The Zeta Gundam compilation films (shortened to A New Translation) are considered an alternate retelling of Zeta. These properties only make sense to the audience if one has previously seen either of the older series.

To be fair, sci-fi mecha series as a genre have been in decline for the past ten or so years. It's not just Gundam that's feeling this decline, but other franchises as well. Such examples include Code Geass, Macross, Evangelion, and more.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Evangelion hasn't seen a decline, it's always been that bad. Also I think people are judging things with a tainted brush, and not acknowledging the 4 main reasons xyz isn't as good as blank.

1. Nostalgia.
    Just because you watched a certain show at a time when it made a impact to you personally, doesn't make it better. People often forgive the same things they hate about other series in their own favorites because of this. Hell this especially true for those of us who grew up with Voltron, and Transformers, try watching the originals now. *cringes*

2. Market/Material Saturation
    Let's be honest, with the eb and flow of the Sci Fi market, we have pretty much used every concept you can think of. Because of this, nothing feels new or fresh, and any time something isn't done to the formulaic conventions that are generally accepted by the fan base at large it is trolled into obscurity.

3. Experience/Target Demographic
    You are not the target of these works. You aren't anymore. The target demographic for these shows are younger teenagers, as obvious from the marketing, the handling of relationships, and everything else. They might toss older fans a bone periodically in the firm of references, but these shows are made to pull in new fans, not placate random older Salarymen. Sorry thems the breaks, we all get older, and cause of it we also aren't seeing things for the first time, so nothings new.

4. Comercial Viability
    This is more on the companies then the fans. The product has to sell. Period. No one is gonna invest in making a product without turning a profit.

So yeah, we can only hope for better, and stop trying to judge everything against something else. Just try enjoying stuff for what it is.
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?

Well I was thinking its not like they could do any worse with F91 lol

I mean, I think to "most" fans the best Gundam has to offer were those Short OVA series like 08th MS Team, 0083, and 0080
    And I would hunt down any executive that tried to change those ones...

As far as Mecha declining. Yeah I definitely been seeing that. But it also provides a interested opportunity. The mecha fans that are out there are desperately looking for new content.

From what I heard, Gundam F91 was originally going to be a full on TV series like Victory Gundam. More over, they remade the Gundam Unicorn OVA into a 22 episode show, it was called Gundam Unicorn RE:0096. With that in mind, why not call the new show ​Mobile Suit Gundam F91 RE:0123

Presuming that the anime movie pretty much hit the beats that were meant to be hit over the course of a series?...

Watch this review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsoVSXmWhok

It would still really kind of suck.

While some of the mobile suit designs were kind of cool, the actual plot of it didn't have nearly enough proper thought put behind it. Cecily Fairchild belongs on that long, long list that would easily convince anyone that all women in the Gundam universes just absolutely suck. Kind of close to the top of that list, really. And the entire thing revolves around the plot involving her and her identity. Yet she has no actual character traits at all and outright contradicts herself and switches sides multiple times within the same scene. All because "well, I want the plot to go in this way now, so change your entire motivation and belief system on a dime".

Expanding it out to a full series absolutely would not help things at all. Really, any effort expended on such a project would be far better off put to use on some other project.
    [RP]Mobile Suit Gundam: War-Torn Horizons - Nobuyori Takeda, pilot of Elmeda (Tokugawa Knight Custom)

I would hate to think of it as being unsalvageable.

It just seemed rushed and Half @$$ed to me.

They just don't design the mechs like they used to. To me the Vigna Ghina and F91 offer way more character than anything they are doing now.

Oh, Vigna Ghina rules BTW...

Quote Originally Posted by LeDelmo View Post
    I would hate to think of it as being unsalvageable.

It just seemed rushed and Half @$$ed to me.
    The reason why F91 looks incomplete is because it was incomplete. As mentioned, it was orginally conceived as a full TV series. However, due to problems with the production, mid-way through it was decided the the project would become a movie - and thus a whole bunch of the plot points were crushed into one movie. Things like Cecily's time with Crossbone Vanguard or Anna Marie's defection probably would've spanned entire arcs and made more sense.

In anycase, F91 is unlikey to ever be revived. But I'm glad Bandai still sees it fit for the F91 to get a Metal Build and Version 2.0 MG kit. Though I really wish they'd do HGUC and MG kits of the Heavy Gun and G-Cannon

It would be nice to get an anime of Crossbone Gundam but they'd have to first do away with the terrible Yuichi Hasegawa character designs (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Gouf_Ball View Post
    From what I heard, Gundam F91 was originally going to be a full on TV series like Victory Gundam. More over, they remade the Gundam Unicorn OVA into a 22 episode show, it was called Gundam Unicorn RE:0096. With that in mind, why not call the new show ​Mobile Suit Gundam F91 RE:0123
    Unicorn wasn't remade, it was just recut from 7 hour+ ovas into 22 episodes. It was the exact same animation.
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?

I wouldn't mind a remake of F91, preferably fleshed out as per the novelisation Tomino wrote after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Vifam7 View Post
    It would be nice to get an anime of Crossbone Gundam but they'd have to first do away with the terrible Yuichi Hasegawa character designs (IMO).
    A quick aside but, I really liked how they redrew the portraits for the Crossbone characters in the Versus video games.

I've been rewatching F91 a lot these past two weeks. I didn't like it very much when I saw it years ago. Now I feel it's an underappreciated gem that deserves more exposure. I wouldn't want to see it remade. But I would like a sequel movie to bring the story to a conclusion. Bandai signed off on The Origin, the frequently delayed Unicorn series and Thunderbolt. Bandai has more than enough money and captial in it's coffers to make an F91 sequel.

It's the weirdest thing about F91. We know it wasn't received all that well back in 1991. Partially due to 0083 being released 2 months after F91, but mostly because F91 was so lopsided. And yet Bandai keeps it available for purchase and has gunpla for the signature Gundam.

Just earlier this year, F91 and CCA were released on Blu-Ray 4K. Even 10 years ago when Blu-Ray was still a relatively new technology, both F91 and CCA were given the Blu-Ray treatment and release. So, we know some suit at Bandai cares enough about F91, and not just the core UC titles, the popular AU series and the recent shows.

Seeing Seabook and Cecily take down Cosmo Babylonia and bring peace to the Frontier colonies would be a dream come true.

At this point, no. Simply do not like remakes. They might end up treating the original the way they are treating Broly character in Dragon Ball, because apparently, they only meet him the first time in the upcoming movie? Kind of slap everyone that had seen the previous movies because he appears not only in one, but in 3, or was it 4, movies.

Though would not mind if they decided to do like a follow up leading to Crossbone Gundam or even give Crossbone Gundam stuffs animation treatment.