Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What do you think was the biggest mistake ever made by Bandai?

In term of Gundam Model Kits, what was the biggest mistake Bandai made in your opinion? Feel free to explain your reasoning.

Update: please excuse the typo in the Thread title, the "why" was supposed to be a "what"

Super Moderator

Re: What do you think was the biggest mistake ever made by Bandai?

Not always offering water slides with kits. They do it with many of their other lines. They cost next to nothing to make.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Squee View Post
    Not always offering water slides with kits. They do it with many of their other lines. They cost next to nothing to make.
    This ^^^

Not building updated versions of OVA MS before gimmicky designer versions. And taking so damn long to show us in the US any love. There are many reasons I dont mind buying knockoffs and third party kits and these are some of them.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

P-Bandai...

Super Moderator

P Bandai is great though. Its the only way we'd get certain kits. Otherwise we'd never see them in model form.

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

The optimal word there being, see, cause most of us will not get our hands on them.
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?

OR...
    You know they COULD just release the Fing things...Just saying, Don't think there is any rule out there that prevents them from doing so.

Super Moderator

They do release them. As Pbandai as their marketing and research branches deem that to be the safest way to make the item without losing major profit.

Biggest mistake? Probably over saturating the US market and destroying Gundam in the West lol.

Personally, I think they are doing pretty good and do pretty good fan service. Some of their decisions do irritate me though.

I still cannot understand how the GN-XIV was p bandai yet the striker was my mass released. The striker had more unique parts at the time yet the 4, with most parts previously released, got the shaft. It being a favorite grunt of mine... You know. Plus, it's seem to be quite popular.

The other problem I have is there selective stingyness. Many of these kits, largely HG, could have 5-10 more parts and be able to create 2+ variants. Is it so much to ask to include another runner and charge $2-4 more? Example the recent striker has all but 4 pieces to change it into the regular GN-X plus needing the regular shield, and all but these same pieces and a proto-lance to create the advanced GN-X. Literally a partial runner or minor additions would allow customers to have the options of building 3 different MS.

Oh, one other thing. IMO RG, MG, and PG should all come with at least a small water slide decal sheet.

I got my gripes but I understand them not doing these things because they're not profitable enough or at all... With the exception of some p bandai choices. All in all though, they seem to try to legitimately make all fans happy with unique and little known suits popping in.

I dont think you got what we were referring too when it comes to P-Bandai...

The key problem with P-Bandai is its exclusivity to Japan only. Making them outrageously expensive everywhere else.

But, if I had to choose another mistake Bandai makes. Is cheapening out on parts for kits. Would it really kill them to charge a extra buck or two and add in a few extra parts to make different suits or extra accessories?

Quote Originally Posted by LeDelmo View Post

The key problem with P-Bandai is its exclusivity to Japan only. Making them outrageously expensive everywhere else.

But, if I had to choose another mistake Bandai makes. Is cheapening out on parts for kits. Would it really kill them to charge a extra buck or two and add in a few extra parts to make different suits or extra accessories?

I feel like this parts thing sounds familiar? Lol....

I don't know who you were referencing with the past bandai comment but generally bandai doesn't care about the West. P bandai is, from a business stand point, pretty brilliant. No middle man, all the profit, and fan service.

But, sometimes I am lost on their decisions. I feel it use to be only slight retools and recolored versions of mass release kits. For example, the Gyan kreiger seems to have a substantial amount of new parts. And my GN-XIV... With the striker being mass released...I don't get their decisions but they must be working for them.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDelmo View Post

It's apparent you don't understand that p-bandai isn't designed for the western market and the only reason why is appears to be expensive is because of 3rd party sellers and shipping costs.

I always thought P-Bandai was just rehashes.

I get fan boys get defensive with their obsessions. But this topic is LITERALLY, What do YOU think was the biggest mistake Bandai did.

Not, B**** about what people don't like about Bandai topic.

Bandai will continue to abuse the P-Bandai line because of narrow minded fans will continue to support them regardless.

Super Moderator

Garbage bags for joint covers and tubing on some kits.