Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would you want a "Beltorchika's Children" anime adaptation?

For those unaware, "Beltorchika's Children" was a novel released in 1988 based on the original rejected screenplay for the Char's Counterattack movie. It follows the same basic plot with some key differences. I'm sure people are familiar with the Hi-Nu Gundam which was from this novel. It also has a manga adaptation which is ongoing.

But to get to the point, with the animated adaptation of "Gundam: The Origin" going on right now, as well as stuff in the past like "Zeta - A New Translation", I was wondering if anyone else would like to see Char's Counterattack revisited in an updated fashion?

Re: Would you want a "Beltorchika's Children" anime adaptation?

Who wouldn't?
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build threadPlamobot's trade thread

Quote Originally Posted by Plamobot View Post
    Who wouldn't?
    Ditto. Also, make it an OVA and include the earlier chapters from the Hi-Streamer novel.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Ditto. Also, make it an OVA and include the earlier chapters from the Hi-Streamer novel.
    Oh? I have not yet read Hi-Streamer. What are these "earlier chapters" about?

I also agree that it is more likely that if BC did get an anime then it would be an OVA instead of a film like CCA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronové View Post
    Oh? I have not yet read Hi-Streamer. What are these "earlier chapters" about?

I also agree that it is more likely that if BC did get an anime then it would be an OVA instead of a film like CCA.
    So I posted a thread that basically gave three examples of why Char started his own Neo Zeon movement. Here is an excerpt from that thread:

The third item is an article in which someone managed to translate and summarize the first half of Hi-Streamer. For the uninformed, Hi-Streamer was a novel written by Yoshiyuki Tomino that would later serve as the basis of CCA. However Bandai only adapted the second half of the novel, which left out some details that led up to the Second Neo Zeon War. Please be sure to read the whole thing:

http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16150
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

If it's better than CCA sure

The third item is an article in which someone managed to translate and summarize the first half of Hi-Streamer. For the uninformed, Hi-Streamer was a novel written by Yoshiyuki Tomino that would later serve as the basis of CCA. However Bandai only adapted the second half of the novel, which left out some details that led up to the Second Neo Zeon War. Please be sure to read the whole thing:

http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16150
    How interesting. Hi-Streamer was always on my backlog of Gundam books to buy. I'm even more excited to pick it up now.

But to get back on topic, I too would like them to expand on the buildup to the events in BC. I always thought that a film's runtime was too short for CCA.

No because there are already enough plot holes is this mess of a story...

Quote Originally Posted by LeDelmo View Post
    No because there are already enough plot holes is this mess of a story...
    Oh? Care to elaborate on what these plot holes are and why they are problematic?

How about we just say all of Gundam Z and Char Counter Attack...

I am sure there are plenty of Plot hole is ZZ aswell. But I havent seen it yet so I cant comment on that one. lol

I don't think we really need to retread things especially Char vs. Amuro, especially if they end up animating the 0079 parts of the origin. BC isn't even that sufficiently different from CCA, just replace Chan with Beltorchika, only she lives and is pregnant, Nanai is also pregnant, and Hathaway kills quess. Also Replace the two main MS with their counter parts, and some other minor details.

It'd be like reanimating unicorn to make it slightly more novel accurate. Could it be neat? Yeah maybe but ultimately superfluous and a waste of resources when they can do something new, or adapt something that doesn't already have an animated alternate form IMO.
    Last edited by Zeon's RedComet; March 8, 2018 at 1:08 AM.

I'd be up for a Char Counterattack: A New Translation, sure. Lol

Give us Hathaway's Flash too!

Maybe they could "fix" ZZ while they're at it. Make it more in line with Zeta and the lead up to CCA. Since ZZ gets skipped over, despite elements making it out of ZZ and into Unicorn and Crossbone.

Question: Was the bastard children thing really a wedge issue for the executives at Sunrise? Char and Amuro siring heirs but not wedding their respective love interests Beltochika and Nanai, respective.

Quote Originally Posted by Amuro Aznable View Post
    Give us Hathaway's Flash too!
    I must admit, part of the reason I would want BC animated is because it would raise the chances of getting a HF anime as well.

Personally I hope they leave this sleeping dog the heck alone. It took till the end of unicorn to put it to rest that char and amuro were dead in parts of the fandom. Last thing we need is another "new translation" to cause the fan base to lose their minds over. (Can see it now, CCA fans vs BC fans).

The truth is the whole thing is a *blank* grab to change how two fools threw away their lives for the stupidest ideas of how to change human nature, while accomplishing nothing. The fan fiction part is suddenly making them spawn in order to create a bloodline to continue the tomfoolery.

Honestly I think it was more a matter of having regrets for offing the characters he had put so much work into after the fact.
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?

I don't think it would do very well commercially, to be honest.

Gundam is in well... bad shape.

It would be nice if they could make a new Gundam story set in its own world and not just flat-out ruin it.

But they refuse to keep it grounded. Aside from whatever toy gimmick they have to sell, they seem deadset on this whole thing of "we totally need to make the protagonist of this way more powerful than any previous Gundam protagonist" which really just results in making their opponents less resistant and dangerous than wet cardboard.

And, similarly, they also insist on trying to make every single new Gundam vastly more powerful than any previously seen... or at least getting around to something that is meant to top all 30 previous years worth by the end of the series.

And when they don't do that, they make the whole story so damn convoluted with characters acting in such utterly illogical ways and bury so much of the necessary information for people to at all sympathize with the characters that it just isn't something one can get into.

Ironically, the Gundam Build Fighters series have some of the best characterization, but obviously there are almost no stakes there, it completely removes all drama that could come from the battles, everything is just painfully predictable because the set up demands it follow a very strict path and it still has that whole issue of being afraid of making anything other than a main Gundam that is tops the last one in terms of utterly dominating all opponents effortlessly.

I just don't think that the people currently running the franchise are capable of putting out a good Gundam series.
    [RP]Mobile Suit Gundam: War-Torn Horizons - Nobuyori Takeda, pilot of Elmeda (Tokugawa Knight Custom)