Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Thread: Decanning issue

Decanning issue

I've been using Alclad Primer and Micro filler. I switched to decanning Tamiya Primer and using it in my AB.

Well, if i use the primer the same day i decan it, it's fine, but the seems to settle on the bottom of the jar, and old Model Master paint jar, so no biggy just shake away, right? Well i get it so must of the lumpy bottom is shoken up and mixed in, but i guess my brush doesn't like it or something because it just gums up. I've tried adding thinner to help it but nothing, just spotty spirits of crap.

I've tried using the alclad primer again and while my supply of it is low, it's doing the same thing. Did i ruin my gun doing this?

Likewise I use to give it acetone baths, removing the nozle and only soaking it up to the paint up so no O-rings are effected, but the guy at the hobby shop told me to never do that..... so I'm not sure how to do a through cleaning. Everything Gamera has on his page I've followed and I seem to do wrong.

For the recordI can shoot Acetone, and other thinners flawlessly, just not primer. Any advice before I chuck my setup and give up on the hobby?

Super Moderator

Re: Decanning issue

If your ab is as clean as you say from your washing it, a big possibility is that there is a small chunk of pigment somewhere in the line. Take the needle tip off and look in there i bet there is crud along the insides. If you take something like a sewing needle and scrape the insides CAREFULLY, i bet you see dust push up through the tip.

As for the decanted primer, shaking might not be doing it, i'd stir the $)(# out of it first.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

I'll try the stirring later today. One thing I forgot to mention is when the spray platter happens it sounds like the air is struggling to flow, like a vacuum kinda sound. I've thought the paint might be to thick but this is now two paints having the same issue.

Super Moderator

Sounds like there is definitely a clog somewhere. It could also be that the tamiya pigment in the primer is just too thick for the spray (needle) you're using.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

Issue is it works right after i decan it, but not if it's been sitting.

I fiddled around and small clog of paint came out, so I tried the primer again and no luck. Alclad Chrome shot just fine though.

Primer has always been my bane of this hobby. I have a Neo CN and an Iwata Ninja compressor. Im told both are good but I'm beginning to think otherwise. It comes with a .35mm needle and that's all I've ever used. The alclad primer was working good on several projects, but lately after using the Tamiya stuff it's having the same issues.

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Have you done a really deep cleaning of the AB? I have a small sonic cleaner I picked up from Harbor Fright. I take everything apart and completely submerge it in cleaner and go through a few sonic cleanings. (Never put the needle in the sonic cleaner it WILL bend the tip all to hell).
    Plus I have a battery powered paint mixer that I use to mix and stir my paints before I put them in my AB. You really want to make sure the pigment is all mixed up.
    The last bit of advise I can give about decanting primers, and I learned this the hard way. Primer will evaporate really quickly. I only decant what I will use at that time. If you store it for a few days it will become a sort of jelly like sediment on the bottom of the jar you are keeping it in and no amount of mixing will fully break it up.

I use the primer from Krylon I pick up at Walmart, It is really good but straight from the can it is really thick, so I decant it as well.

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

Okay, so what I assumed was true in that leaving it sit is an issue. I found it drying in the AB cup really fast too.

As for the cleaning, my last AB i submerged it but I killed some O-rings doing so. I read that only soaking the front to the very back of the paint holding area was what yiu should do. My ultra sonic cleaner recently broke but I'll grab a new one soon.

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Well it does depend on what you soak it in. Lacquer thinner is right out! That would be a big no no. I mainly use a mix of ammonia free Windex with 91% alcohol, or purple power, but I mainly stick with all acrylic paints except for my Allclad II. But when I do soak it I take it all apart, so mainly it is just the body and tips that are being soaked and in the sonic cleaner. As for O-rings, I have a bunch of )-rings I picked up at Auto Zone and I replace mine from time to time. screwing and unscrewing the AB will ware them out and I like to have a good tight fit and O-rings are an easily replaced part. with my Badgers it is that Teflon needle ring that is a bitch, you have to send the AB in for them to fix it if you want it done right.

But ya primer will dry on the sides of the cup if you put a bunch in there or run it empty. Never run ALL the paint threw the AB if you do then the paint will dry almost instantly around the needle and in the tip air holes and you will be F**ked! just watch the level and always keep paint above the needle cavity.

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

The more you know. I'll do some more cleaning and trying it again after a light decan.

- - - Updated - - -

So i cleaned out the nozle some more and gave the front half a lacquer bath - no o-rings submerged. Having the same issue with the Alclad II primer, which I've never had before.