Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What are your thoughts on 3D Printed Gunpla?

What are your thoughts on the use of 3D printing as a method of being able to create your own 3rd party products? I ask this question because I found two interesting examples of 3D printed Gundam Model Kits.

First, there was this Conversion kit for the Master Grade OZ-00MS Tallgeese, where you are able to make it into an OZ-06MS Leo. In fact, the aforementioned Conversion Kit was reviewed by Prime92...

Second, before Bandai made their HGUC MS-08TX/S Efreet Schneid in summer 2017, before there was even the P-Bandai exclusive RE/100 from autumn 2016, there was a 3D Printed fan creation. Not fooling around here, there is a 3D Printed, 3rd party offering for the Efreet Schneid in 1/144 scale on Thingiverse. In fact, here is a link...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:483766

At the end of the day, how much potential could there be for Fan Made, 3D Printed, 3rd Party Gunpla offerings. Or to be general, what is your opinion on 3D Printed Gundam Model Kits?

Re: What are your thoughts on 3D Printed Gunpla?

I don't think that full 3D printed Gunpla kits could catch on as a trend. Now, custom 3D printed parts for Gunpla I could see catching on. The latter would allow for a deeper level of customization that would go beyond using Pla-plate to scratch build parts.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Do you know how much work is involved in 3d printing? There's a huge amount of clean up involved after you 3d print a part. Most people use 3d printing to creat the ptoto type parts. Then then they clean up the parts and recast them in resin so they have a better finish on them. 3d printing requires a lot of work, but idk if it's really a good option for personal use. If you do plan on mass production a part then I would say it can be a a good option, but I wouldn't do it for just one part.

Super Moderator

With FDM Printers, printing thin armor for parts becomes a chore. Then there is cleanup etc. But now with SLA and DLP printers becoming cheaper, you can print high quality resin prototypes. I believe these are what they use for printing bandai prototypes now. Unless you're really good at designing in 3d, printing often looks clunky. Take that efreet. The detail, while pretty cool, is nowhere near the level of quality you can get from a bandai kit. I use mine to mainly print tools, and prototypes for parts. I can't wait until i can set aside some money for a DLP printer. I've been eyeing this Wanhao.

The resin printers can get some crazy detail!

Another issue, if you ever want to enter GBWC, there is a ban on 3d printed parts.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

I have printed ABS parts to replace broken and lost parts with good success. Sure, a lot is required in cleanup of the part, but it's been worth it. It's like anything, you learn as you go and work out methods for getting a good result.

Would love to see how far this is going to go. There are kits that Bandai will probably "NEVER" make (MGs of the Jegan, Zaku FZ and Gelgoog J) that I would love to see in some way become available through a series of downloadable STL files. With the right printer and/or printing service the aforementioned work to get a good looking replica becomes somewhat lessened. Time will tell!!

Quote Originally Posted by DarKev3 View Post
    Would love to see how far this is going to go. There are kits that Bandai will probably "NEVER" make (MGs of the Jegan, Zaku FZ and Gelgoog J) that I would love to see in some way become available through a series of downloadable STL files. With the right printer and/or printing service the aforementioned work to get a good looking replica becomes somewhat lessened. Time will tell!!
    Even though the RE/100 line exists so that Bandai can make 1/100 scale kits that would otherwise be cost prohibitive, but there are just some things that are just too obscure for even a RE/100 Release. For an example in which I mostly know about based on the Gundam Wikia, there is stuff like Gaia Gear, where despite every Mobile Suit having their own dedicated wiki page, merch is practically non-existent. In fact, there have only ever been three Resin kits in 1/220 scale (the Gussa, Zorin Soul, and Gaia Gear Alpha), all of which share the same box art, which can be seen below.

garagekit00.jpg

But then again, there is stuff like For the Barrel from Newtype Magazine, and the Enhanced Human Tale duology from Cyber Comix, where you would have better luck finding a bargain bin caked with Blu-Ray copies of the Doozy Bots: The Complete Series, than to find information pertaining to Merchandise based on the aforementioned For the Barrel and Enhanced Human Tale. But then again, if a trend of 3D printing was used to push the 3rd Party market for Gundam Model kits towards a level compared to that of 3rd Party Transformers, than we might be as likely to get an Gunboy Wilbur model as Fanstoys releasing their rendition of Daytrader from TLK. Just make sure not to make the same mistake as Suntoys and Dragon Momoko when in charge of your own 3rd Party Gunpla company.

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Quote Originally Posted by Squee View Post
    Another issue, if you ever want to enter GBWC, there is a ban on 3d printed parts.
    I was wondering about that. I was kind of worried, but not about 3D parts and GBWC all you would need is someone with stupid money and a little time, and they would dominate that. Good thing they put the cabosh on that.

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

I’m interested to see what the future of this topic will be. It would be very interesting to see if Bandai adapt to change in that direction. As the prices of and technology 3D printing becoming cheaper and more effective. It could be an amazing way to increase gunpla globally within the next 20 years.

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Yes and no for the Bandai side, it could hurt their bottom line if people started to just "make" their own kits. But as far as doing custom parts and add-on parts Ya I can see that picking up in the next few years. But like Squee pointed out I hope they keep them excluded from GBWC. It would almost be a form of cheating.

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

3D Printed HGUC R-Jarja Conversion Kit proposal.

Starting off simple for my first 3D printed Conversion Kit, I would like to start with something that will turn the HGBF AMX-104GG R-Gyagya into something along the lines of an HGUC AMX-104 R-Jarja. After not only looking at the artwork for both the R-Gyagya and the R-Jarja seen on the Gundam Wikia, but also looking at Dalong's review of the HGBF R-Gyagya, It appears that the easy part is designing a new head crest and a couple shoulder spikes. As for the Missile Pods, I might want to have you drill holes into parts A-17 and A-18 in order to fit the new 3D printed parts. Last, but not least, the Beam Rifle will need to built from the ground up due to it's design being unique to the R-Jarja

Probably not for entire Gunpla, but I can see 3D printing being used to make replacement parts when Gunpla gets damaged or a part goes missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronové View Post
    Probably not for entire Gunpla, but I can see 3D printing being used to make replacement parts when Gunpla gets damaged or a part goes missing.
    But what about 3D printed Conversion Kits (e.g. a set of Full Armor for the RE/100 Gundam MK.III)?

I think it's a brilliant idea, everything in the future should be open source. It'll really add to the creativity and love of gunpla while also democratizing it so that anyone with a printer can have access to it. I hope the market for it grows and grows cuz I'd really love to see what people come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by xdepredatex View Post
    I think it's a brilliant idea, everything in the future should be open source. It'll really add to the creativity and love of gunpla while also democratizing it so that anyone with a printer can have access to it. I hope the market for it grows and grows cuz I'd really love to see what people come up with.
    In terms of 3D Gunpla, what specifically would you like to see made?