Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Tamiya panel line won't easily clean up

so i've used the tamiya panel line on a few kits so far, and the feelings i have towards it are mixed:
    1) it works so well that my kits look like the anime, sporting super clean lines. and i LOVE that.
    BUT
    2) EVERY tutorial video i watch makes the clean up look SUPER easy, using 1 cotton swap with very light and delicate strokes taking away all the excess liner. yet when i try to clean it up i'm practically SCRUBBING my pieces to remove the blobs (i've tried panel lining over bare plastic AND over white gloss paint/gloss top coat; same results)

so what am i doing wrong here? i've tried using the tamiya X-20 thinner presently because 91% alcohol wasn't really efficient. still the tamiya, just like the alcohol, isn't working as well as i'd hoped.

i've tried different amounts of drying time (between 5 and 30 minutes) and the only thing that seems to work reasonably well is INSTANTLY wiping it away, but then i'm left spending a lot of time on damage control trying to keep the liner from staining the actual piece. i'm kinda frustrated...

PHEW! thanks for reading all that and any insight would help!!
    Last edited by SolidDrake117; February 27, 2018 at 2:06 AM.

Super Moderator

Re: Tamiya panel line won't easily clean up

Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color is enamel based. Are you using X-20 or X20A? Alcohol will not remove it properly. You will most likely be removing the paint as well.

In my experience, its best to use Lighter fluid. It evaporates quickly so there is less chance it damages the paint.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

the thinner i have is x-20a. let me guesss... the wrong stuff?
    if it IS the wrong stuff, i really wish the people at the hobby store did a better job of explaining things to a novice like me. i told them everything i was planning to do, and they handed me all the stuff i needed.
    Last edited by SolidDrake117; February 27, 2018 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SolidDrake117 View Post
    the thinner i have is x-20a. let me guesss... the wrong stuff?
    if it IS the wrong stuff, i really wish the people at the hobby store did a better job of explaining things to a novice like me. i told them everything i was planning to do, and they handed me all the stuff i needed.
    Yeah the a is for acrylic or water based paints. Trust me I think we all get it wrong in the beginning. Zipping lighter fluid or Robinson I think is the brand(yellow bottle) works very well and the smell isn't as bad as enamel thinner. You can also odorless white spirit and I have heard that works beautifully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomorrow after work i'll pick up some lighter fluid. i live in lansing and the only hobby store (except hobby lobby or michael's) is an hour away from me. thanks for all the input everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by SolidDrake117 View Post
    tomorrow after work i'll pick up some lighter fluid. i live in lansing and the only hobby store (except hobby lobby or michael's) is an hour away from me. thanks for all the input everyone!
    That's what we are here for!