Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Would you prefer "Anime" accurate Gunpla or a more modern updated version?

Not sure if its ever been brought up but I wonder what most people would prefer?

I cant help but think allot of the old designs could benefit from a updated look to them. I mean the 70's animation wouldn't exactly allow for anything that could be considered "detailed".

And after seeing Rick Dom in the Epic kits thread. I really wonder if Bandai isn't missing a really great opportunity to be updating these things.

The ver ka's seem to be well received.

Re: Would you prefer "Anime" accurate Gunpla or a more modern updated version?

I think that one of the greatest attributes about Gunpla is that they are essentially blank canvases; you could either build them to be as anime accurate as possible or you could customize them to your own specifications. The only limit is your imagination.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

I would prefer kits to be anime accurate for a straight build and then if I choose to, I can customise them later.

Going crazy with MS designs is what I love the Build Fighters series for. <3

I'm actually surprised people prefer the Anime accurate models. I don't know if I could agree with seeing them as blank canvases though. As I don't believe very many people go as far as to make custom parts or even making custom panel lines for that matter.

I would think people would simply have to prefer the original design.

But never the less. It definitely gives me something to think about. Look forward to hearing from more people on this matter.

Anime accurate to more recent Anime Releases YES!!! Anime accurate to the original and/or "older" releases not as much. Sparse details lack of or minimal panel lines or other more desired details are just some of the issues of the "older" kits.

Super Moderator

I'd prefer line art accuracy. Maybe some added detail. Sometimes added detail isn't a good thing. The redesign of the freedom 2.0's wing cannons and the justic MG backpack cannons being moved are good examples of adding detail in the wrong direction imo.

MG HiNu vs Hi Nu Ver Ka is a good example of what i'd like. The old hi nu mg seemed to ignore the original designs in the proportion area and shield area. The Ver Ka is surprisingly accurate to the original lineart, ignoring the usual Katoki added details.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

Now if I could get a Zaku FZ accurate to the line art I would be one HAPPY GUNDAM Modeler!!!

The question seems very weird to me. Like do I want the model kit to actually look like it's supposed to look like, or do I want it to only vaguely resemble that? The whole point is that models are supposed to be physical representations of the mobile suits in the shows, and the shows are supposed to sell the model kits. Why even make a model kit of a suit in the first place if it isn't intended to be anime/lineart accurate? Like I'm kinda fine with Ver. Ka kits or for a Revive to kinda do it's own thing in regards to proportions because usually there's already an easily available kit in that size class that's more anime accurate. At least I have options and am not automatically stuck with a hideous inaccurate "modern" version with giant stork legs and a shrunken head. It's a spin off on a beloved design that already exists. It shouldn't replace the original.

I'm only interested in "updated designs" if they're the designs used in a newer show. Because it's anime accurate to that art style of the show. Like say for Origin, Thunderbolt, Unicorn. etc. But those are still their own variants of those designs. It's why we have a specific Origin line and specific Thunder Bolt line, etc. Unicorn was kinda shitty about this, but at least we often got the option of having the original colors for a suit, even if we're only given the Unicorn specific design.
    Last edited by Riah; February 25, 2018 at 9:52 AM.
    Ways to reach me if the site really does go down:
    Discord: BadWrongFun#0889
    Email: badwrongfun@gmx.com
    Mastodon:https://glitch.social/web/accounts/41917
    Twitter: @bad_wrong_fun

Considering that most of the designs were made in 1979-1980's. They dont exactly offer much. The animation back in the day was very VERY crude. So the designs had to be some what crude aswell.

I mean the fact is I hate to say it but some of you here claim you want anime accurate. but I doubt many kits are truly anime accurate if we are being picky about the term. I mean technically nothing in the RG line is "Anime" accurate because they added color separation and details not seen in the animation.

By a modern updated version I was thinking more along the lines of making these old designs looks a little more realistic. "Please don't jump on the Robots arnt realistic anyway bandwagon."

Because again the animation is what holds these designs back. There is only so much detail they can have in animation which is why allot of the newer designs look the way they do. They are flashy but have very little detail to them.

I am sorry my question perplexed you so. It was very simple. I even stated what made me ask it and why. I saw a very nice Rock Dom model that had tons of detail. I had never cared for the design of the Dom before. But this one actually looked "right". Than I looked up the model it was based off. Which reminded me why I hate the Dom so much. I really cannot stand the animations design of it. But that's just me.

So I wanted to see what other people thought about this. If people would be interested in none anime accurate version of mobile suits not limited by Bandai's animation budget...

It's kinda a philosophical question really. Do you like these designs because of the Anime or do you like the Anime because of these designs?
    Last edited by LeDelmo; February 25, 2018 at 6:55 PM.

Super Moderator

There is no kit in the RG line that doesn't already have the kit in 1/144 scale that is more accurate to the show. The whole point of the RG line is to show off a design with new ideas.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

Administrator

I actually prefer more detail on the models. I'm building the Freedom 2.0 right now and I'm loving the amount of detail on it. It's actually why I plan on adding more detail to my PG Mk.II when actually decide to build it.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

I prefer up detailed, and redesigned as necessary to fix old designs, and bad designs. I would never buy an anime accurate kit of any suit, specifically any early UC. Heck I'm hesitant to buy kits more than 10 years old anymore, just because the kits have come so far.
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?

I just had a thought to the merits of Anime Accurate vs Upgraded kits. One of my favorite Mobile Suits back in the day was the AMX-009 Dreissen. I loved the Bulk and/or Apparent Mass of the thing as seen in this picture;

Anime Dreissen Amx-009.jpg

and as a result I was RATHER Disappointed when I purchased the "OLD" original kit seen in this picture;

dreissen old kit.jpg

While you can tell that it is the Dreissen the model just never looked like the anime no matter how I attempted to modify it; especially in the upper and lower halves of the torso. The apparent Angles and BULK as seen in the Anime were just not there. However time does offer some changes and I was rather grateful that they incorporated the Suit into Gundam Unicorn and as a result we had not one but two new versions of the Dreissen done in HGUC the 2nd being seen here;

Dreissen-ZZ-Version-2.jpg

However their is still a bit of the "bulk" missing in the lower skirts as seen in the anime, but its FAR BETTER then the original kit version. So while I would have GREATLY preferred an Anime Accurate version of the Suit, the new releases do fill the gap so to speak.