Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Advice on gunpla for kids

Hello all. First time poster here. Stumbled into a toyshop while holidaying in asia recently and picked up a couple of SD gunplas for my 8yo and 6yo kids. They totally loved it. I then picked up a couple of HG models , sinanju for my 8 yo and unicorn destroyer mode for the 6yo on amazon after i got home. They completed them over the weekend unassisted ( the 8 yo made a mess of the gold stickers with his sinanju and the 6 yo made a couple of mistakes with orientation and came to me to correct it for him) .
    My question is, what should i get them to build next. The 8yo is keen on trying a MG ( should he? Or a RG? ) What do u guys recommend that is sort of at their level and that is sturdy that can take a bit of abuse (since they play them like action figures)
    I am a gunpla noob having just started reading on internet since my kids started showing interest in it so any advice is appreciated (i did however ordered a MK ii RG with recent reading for myself to try out haha)

Thanks in advance guys

Re: Advice on gunpla for kids

I would not give a Real Grade to an eight year old. The inner frame, while solid when put together, can be fragile if you're not careful. Nor would I give an eight year old a Master Grade. There are a lot of small parts that go into Master Grades (older ones are big offenders as some of them have metal screws), and those could get lost or, worst case scenario, break if one is not careful. Both of those grades are meant older, more experienced builders who know what they are doing, and have the precision and skill on handling delicate and small parts. For now, have them stick with Super Deformed and High Grade kits.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Super Moderator

Give them a MG. If they can build that, they can move onto RG's.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

Welcome. I think it's great your kids are interested in gunpla at such a young age.

I agree with Zeta when it comes to not giving your kids a RG kit. I do how ever disagree when it comes to giving them a MG. Zeta is correct several of the older mg kits do use metal screws in some of the joints and they can be a pain to install. How ever most of those same kits are very sturdy. The other issue with MG kits besides the screws is they tend to have several small parts that can be lost easily or broken. If you would like to get a MG kit for your kids I recommend the Ground gm normal or sniper type from mobile suit Gundam 08th Ms team. The kit uses 4 screws which you can help them with and it comes with a lot of weapons. You could also get the a rgm 79 gm type c from 0083. The only thing is I would not put the antenna one because it's extremely fragile. The mg zgok and mg ball are both very simple kits to build. One cool idea for the ball is if your kids like sports you can paint them like a baseball, soccer ball or basketball. I would avoid and of the zeon zaku or gouf kits because the tubes for the energy cable can be easily lost.

You should make a wip post for you and the kids. That way if any of you have a issue you can post and we can help you out or give you some tips. Plus its always nice to see younger people get into the hobby.

Thanks guys

@Rxslinger, thanks for the advice on the kits to get... my 8 yo now has a sniper custom MG on the way will also look into the others you have suggested.. and still thinking about what to get for my 6yo.. thinking maybe getting the HG RGM 79 ground type

Can I ask... do u guys do panel lining after or before u apply the stickers on?
    cheers and thx again

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

If you want to get them "bigger" kits to build and ones that they can play with without spending an arm and a leg. Try the 1/100 Non grade. They are basically 1/100 HG kits. I have a few of the NG from OO and they are actually good kits, and they are playable. Not to many parts to have to fiddle with and easy to fix if they break.

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

so bought a few kits thx to you guy's suggestions, since I was last here, my 8 yo has done MG GM custom, MG Z'Gok, MG Strike Rouge while my 6 yo completed , HG gusion, HG half cannon Zaku, HG 79 Ground type, and 1/100 cherudim. All without my help except i had to insert a few of those front vents on Z'Gok for my 8 yo. I was thinking of getting them a MG Acguy each so the 8 yo can help the 6yo as they build them together... is that a good idea? Apart from that, any other sturdy kits that you guys can recommend that would also be a fun/ challenging build for my kids (but not too difficult) ? I have read lots of awesome things about the MG balls, but i couldnt get my kids to be interested in them

cheers all and thanks in advance

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

0_0 WOW good to go KIDS!! (you do realize the monsters you have just created right?) If you find one the Buster Gundam from Wing is a good kit.

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

The mg acguy is a sturdy kit. Keep in mind you will most likely have to help them with the spring mechanism for the claws and a few screws.

Thx again
    Haha yeah GM .. that's all they all do these days.. to bug me to buy more gumpla.. will look into buster ..
    And thx Rx for the insight...

Cheers guys

Here's the what my 2 kids spent doing today. Building their MG Acguy.. such a cool kit.. had to help them with the screws otherwise they did everything else them selves...now to find them next project ..
    Have a nice Easter guys
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Proseal; March 30, 2018 at 5:15 AM.