Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Alaya Vijnana. Would you have the Surgery?

So I thoroughly enjoyed IBO. So much so that I have no fallen in love with Gundam all over again.

Anyways open discussion here. If you lived in the Post Disaster era, and you were approached by Gjallarhorn, (lets say the time frame is during the calamity war) and they asked you to undergo the Alaya Vijnana surgery because they wanted you to pilot one of they 72 Gundam frames. Knowing the risks would you do it? Also what Gundam would you choose to pilot? Bael is not an option in this scenario due to it being Agnika Kaieru's Gundam but all other 71 Gundams are up for grabs.

Personally Put me in Gundam Astaroth and lets go smash these mobile armors!

Re: Alaya Vijnana. Would you have the Surgery?

I would pilot the ASW-G-07 Gundam Amon. While there is no "official" data on it I plan on making my own custom Gunpla of it at some point, along with its backstory and everything.

Nice Is there a list somewhere of all 72 Gundam Frames? Also I would love to see a prequel series. Mobile Suit Gundam: Calamity War.

For the most part the Gundam's are named after the 72 Dukes of Hell.

Personally would stick to me own world of GN Particles and such but I'll have a go at it.

Probably pilot something like the Gremory Gundam or Gundam Belial. If I had my choice, it'd be a close combat high speed machine.

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

Captain of the 1/72 Brigade
    "The Scale of Tragedy"
    Conrad<Kahrys<Shepard<937<Nasir<Malenko<Nathen

00 was an awesome series and the GN particles were a great advantage to other Gundam Frames. I havent finished the series yet though so jury is still out for me on the series overall. I personally just like the IBO series for the brutality of it and honestly the lack of Beam weapons made the series more violent which was a welcome change.

I think all series have their ace in the hole that give Gundam Pilots of their Universe a huge advantage over standard mobile suits. I just think the Alaya Vijnana was more significant than others because it created a symbiotic relationship between man and machine. I think Mikazuki Augus as inexperienced as he was could still go toe to toe with other great pilots from other series such as Setsuna F. Seiei, Hero Yui, or Domon Kashu because of this relationship. No one touches Amuro though lol!

Follow up question. Could you imagine how BA Setsuna would have been with the Alaya Vijnana and the GN particles? Over kill lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Exia View Post
    For the most part the Gundam's are named after the 72 Dukes of Hell.

Personally would stick to me own world of GN Particles and such but I'll have a go at it.

Probably pilot something like the Gremory Gundam or Gundam Belial. If I had my choice, it'd be a close combat high speed machine.
    Exia would obviously pilot the Exia. Since Exia is piloting an Exia, and Exia is a Gundam, that makes Exia a Gundam. Setsuna has nothing on that.

Quote Originally Posted by AGundamGuy View Post
    So I thoroughly enjoyed IBO. So much so that I have no fallen in love with Gundam all over again.

Anyways open discussion here. If you lived in the Post Disaster era, and you were approached by Gjallarhorn, (lets say the time frame is during the calamity war) and they asked you to undergo the Alaya Vijnana surgery because they wanted you to pilot one of they 72 Gundam frames. Knowing the risks would you do it? Also what Gundam would you choose to pilot? Bael is not an option in this scenario due to it being Agnika Kaieru's Gundam but all other 71 Gundams are up for grabs.

Personally Put me in Gundam Astaroth and lets go smash these mobile armors!
    To answer your question: no, I would not go for the surgery. There is one factor that would be working against me for the Alaya Vijnana surgery: my age. I am well above the maximum age in order for the nanomachines to bond to me. I'd rather pilot a mobile suit the old fashioned way.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    To answer your question: no, I would not go for the surgery. There is one factor that would be working against me for the Alaya Vijnana surgery: my age. I am well above the maximum age in order for the nanomachines to bond to me. I'd rather pilot a mobile suit the old fashioned way.
    McGillis did prove that age did not matter. Granted, it was more than 300 years after the Calamity War, and since this thread's original question is about the Calamity War timeframe, they would not have advanced it enough to work in adults.

>Inserting anything to your spine in a surgery that has a failure chance higher than single digit

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Exia would obviously pilot the Exia. Since Exia is piloting an Exia, and Exia is a Gundam, that makes Exia a Gundam. Setsuna has nothing on that.

This wrinkles my brain a little bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post

Truth my question centered around the thought that we lived in the Post Disaster Era so therefore there are no other opportunities to become a Gundam Pilot during the Calamity War without the surgery. I was merely posing the question if you had the opportunity to become a Gundam Pilot and the only option is to get a very risky surgery or to miss your opportunity, Would you take the opportunity to become a legendary Gundam Pilot even if the risk is death?

Quote Originally Posted by AGundamGuy View Post
    Truth my question centered around the thought that we lived in the Post Disaster Era so therefore there are no other opportunities to become a Gundam Pilot during the Calamity War without the surgery. I was merely posing the question if you had the opportunity to become a Gundam Pilot and the only option is to get a very risky surgery or to miss your opportunity, Would you take the opportunity to become a legendary Gundam Pilot even if the risk is death?
    I would still say no. Too many risks.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Yeah, not happening. As someone with both nerve damage, and back issues tied to nerves, ain't nothing like that worth it. Also you realize piloting a mobile suit in melee combat with physical weapons, every parry, and strike, would be like being in a car crash.
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?

I love IBO to death but still the answer is no. There are better alternative out there then go bionics just to pilot a gundam better.

During the Calamity War where the fate of humanity is at stake? Sure, I'd take the surgery as your life prospects aren't that great either way.

But Post-Calamity War? Not for me thanks. Besides, the Gekko manga shows there are ways to game the system without having the surgery anyway.