Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Discussing Bandai's business plan

Question, Did they never make a MG line for the Endless Waltz Gundams? I thought they did. I just saw some new ones they released and they are asking a whopping $100 each!

I probably wouldn't be a buyer for Wing kits but that Tallgeese 3 and Sandrock look really nice.

What ever happened to the $30-$40 Master Grade kits? Allot seem to be up in the $80's now...

Re: GNN Gundam News Network

Quote Originally Posted by LeDelmo View Post
    Question, Did they never make a MG line for the Endless Waltz Gundams? I thought they did. I just saw some new ones they released and they are asking a whopping $100 each!

I probably wouldn't be a buyer for Wing kits but that Tallgeese 3 and Sandrock look really nice.

What ever happened to the $30-$40 Master Grade kits? Allot seem to be up in the $80's now...
    Those first few dozen MGs aren't nearly as advanced in their newer releases. Technology improves as time moves on, what was "revolutionary" to the start of the MGs is more or less basic requirements to the MGs of now.

I recall a time where MGs didn't come with LEDs and if you wanted your kit to light up it was a custom job you did yourself. Now they all practically come with LED spots built into the model's designs.

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

Captain of the 1/72 Brigade
    "The Scale of Tragedy"
    Conrad<Kahrys<Shepard<937<Nasir<Malenko<Nathen

Only three of the Endless Waltz designs were given, what I call, general releases in the Master Grade format: the Wing Gundam Zero, Wing Gundam Proto Zero, and the Deathscythe Hell. The rest were released through Bandai's premium online shop. If you were living in Japan (or East Asia in general), you would be able to purchase these kits at relatively normal prices. However, if you live outside of Japan (or East Asia in general), you would have to pay someone else import the kit, which would drive the price upwards. Part of the reason that the Endless Waltz designs were given a Premium Bandai (or P-Bandai for short) release was due in part to these designs:

which were not exactly big sellers. These are redesigns of the TV versions of the five Gundams done by popular mecha artist Hajime Katoki, and when they were revealed they're weren't exactly popular. Since Bandai didn't make enough profit to offset the development costs that went into this series, they decided to cut out the middle man and sell the Endless Waltz versions directly to Japanese consumers (their main customer). By doing this, they retain 100% of the profit without having other businesses like small hobby shops and international distributors taking a cut. Since the basic development costs have already been made and only minor changes need to be made, they sink only a little money in and get 100% of profits out. One could, with enough time, energy, and education, write a dissertation paper on why some kits are given general releases and others are give a P-Bandai release.
    Last edited by Zeta; January 5, 2018 at 4:34 PM. Reason: Added the Tallgeese and Epyon redesigns
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Only three of the Endless Waltz designs were given, what I call, general releases in the Master Grade format: the Wing Gundam Zero, Wing Gundam Proto Zero, and the Deathscythe Hell. The rest were released through Bandai's premium online shop. If you were living in Japan (or East Asia in general), you would be able to purchase these kits at relatively normal prices. However, if you live outside of Japan (or East Asia in general), you would have to pay someone else import the kit, which would drive the price upwards. Part of the reason that the Endless Waltz designs were given a Premium Bandai (or P-Bandai for short) release was due in part to these designs:

which were not exactly big sellers. These are redesigns of the TV versions of the five Gundams done by popular mecha artist Hajime Katoki, and when they were revealed they're weren't exactly popular. Since Bandai didn't make enough profit to offset the development costs that went into this series, they decided to cut out the middle man and sell the Endless Waltz versions directly to Japanese consumers (their main customer). By doing this, they retain 100% of the profit without having other businesses like small hobby shops and international distributors taking a cut. Since the basic development costs have already been made and only minor changes need to be made, they sink only a little money in and get 100% of profits out. One could, with enough time, energy, and education, could write a dissertation paper on why some kits are given general releases and others are give a P-Bandai release.
    You forgot to list the tall geese. That was produced under the EW name.

Very interesting!

It's unfortunate Bandai would want to think that way. It's almost like they dont even want to try. As far as the newer kits being more advanced thus costing more. I seem to be only buying older kits. They provide a good amount of detail and are a good size for a cheap price. I guess that's why they are doing the RE line?

I really cant see them having to invest that much more money now to make these kits than they did 10 years ago. I think allot of people would be surprised just how little these kits cost to make for them.

Thankfully the fan base is just so creative. Seeing what some people can do with these kits has made me for one want to try and do a few myself and use them as display figures. But the introductory cost for this hobby is extremely high if you want to make a high quality piece.

Yes, all of the main suits, However Several are P-bandai hence the price tag. Deathscythe and Wing Zero are the 2 that aren't P-bandai iirc

Tallgeese 3, Heavyarms, Nataku, Sandrock are all P-bandai
    WIP page : http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...rage-of-Gunpla

Completed kits
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...ed-quot-builds

All my latest work can also be seen on my Instagram (Gundam and Non-Gundam) jquintel2002

Very interesting!

It's unfortunate Bandai would want to think that way. It's almost like they dont even want to try. As far as the newer kits being more advanced thus costing more. I seem to be only buying older kits. They provide a good amount of detail and are a good size for a cheap price. I guess that's why they are doing the RE line?

I really cant see them having to invest that much more money now to make these kits than they did 10 years ago. I think allot of people would be surprised just how little these kits cost to make for them.

Thankfully the fan base is just so creative. Seeing what some people can do with these kits has made me for one want to try and do a few myself and use them as display figures. But the introductory cost for this hobby is extremely high if you want to make a high quality piece.
    Something you have to understand is that the main factor behinds kits receiving general releases is popularity. If a mobile suit design is popular enough (which is determined by polls and whether a main character used said suit), it will receive a better grade treatment. Obscure suits usually receive a lower grade treatment. The RE 1/100 line is reserved for relatively obscure suits that would take up a lot of development cost to to make into Master Grade for unknown returns.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

But popularity shouldnt really mean much.

I mean allot of there decision just seem short sighted and greedy.

Like, Why do they need to make a P-Bandai version of the Tallgeese 3 and Sandrock even?

I mean for the Tallgeese 3 all they really need to do is release a conversion kit for the normal Tallgeese that comes with the shield, gun and head piece "The 2 could have just been a gun and head piece even". For the Sandrock all they needed was to release the cape by itself. Than people could easily recolor the kits the way they want.

These conversion kits wouldn't really cost them anything to produce and offer consumers a much wider range of customization for allot cheaper.

They could do this mini conversion kits for allot of models. Allowing people to build different mobile suits out of already made kits.

- - - Updated - - -

Something else I wouldnt mind seeing them start doing is including parts for different version in certain kits.

Example, if they want to continue making two of the same kits only different colors like the Zaku 2 and Char Zaku 2. Why not include all the parts for the Char Zaku 2 in the Normal Zaku 2 and vice versa. You could even go farther with this by including parts to make Zaku 1's in them aswell. Mean they would no longer have to make all new kits for these "less popular" models.

But I know this would be something they might not be to interested in doing because that would mean the people who buy whole kits for the accessories would no longer need to do so.

And fans might push back on the idea because fans have blind loyalties. Meaning that companies can do no wrongs so they would rather spend more money so the company can make more money...

"I am only saying this because I have seen how defensive fans can be. Even if it's at their own personal expense"

Its kinda like how people defend being apart of a abusive relationship... "Extreme example I know, please dont be triggered anyone. It was the only way I could think of to explain what I was trying to convey."

Another fact that determines whether a kit will receive a general release or not, are sales figures. The Tallgeese, like the other Wing redesigned MG's, were not huge sellers. Since Bandai had spent a lot of capital (drawing, CAD modeling, prototyping, marketing, casting and fine tuning the steel molds, production, and packaging) for one unique design that has 150+ parts, and then they find out later that the design didn't sell enough to justify the expense that they sunk into this unique design, the execs have figure out some way to recuperate the money they spent. The answer: they cut out the middle man and sell it themselves to their domestic/primary customer base (Japanese and East Asians) through their online shop. Now, some of those P-Bandai kits (like the Tallgeese II and Tallgeese III) are timed releases, which means they are only available for a certain amount of time (until the next reprint comes around) and that can sometimes drive prices upwards (this is the basics of Supply and Demand). You have look at this from a business perspective.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Just my 2 cents here but, it seams like people seam to think that Bandai is greedy and only out to make a profit. Have any of you run a business? Last I checked Bandai was not a Non-profit charity. They are a business and thus they do have to make choices that maximize their intake versus their output. So as it has been stated before if a certain kit is not going to sell as well as another guess which one will get general release. But they do know that there is a small market for the other kit. But it will only be made in smaller batches thus they will not lose to much to development and marketing. It is simple business 101. Make what sells the best.

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    Just my 2 cents here but, it seams like people seam to think that Bandai is greedy and only out to make a profit. Have any of you run a business? Last I checked Bandai was not a Non-profit charity. They are a business and thus they do have to make choices that maximize their intake versus their output. So as it has been stated before if a certain kit is not going to sell as well as another guess which one will get general release. But they do know that there is a small market for the other kit. But it will only be made in smaller batches thus they will not lose to much to development and marketing. It is simple business 101. Make what sells the best.
    Exactly. What happened with the Wing series of Master Grades is that Bandai gambled on the redesigns being successful and lost when they under-performed. While I don't have the experience, I do have some business knowledge (thank you Accounting class).
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Huh, here it comes.

What I am saying is why do they insist on selling everything separately? It would be much more affordable and economical for them to simply include the removed parts. Or offer them as small conversion kits?

They choose not to because they simply don't want to. They are running off a old business platform. That simply runs off minimal effort. Basically they using more materials than they need to simply so they can have a larger number of whole kits that are the same. i.e. look at how bad they are with the Zaku 2 line...

Think about it, instead of selling two kits which takes twice as much of everything, "Shipping, packaging, materials, manufacturing, retail shelf space etc." They could offer 1 kit at the same expense to them that covers multiple units.

Remember, every cent matters in high volume businesses like this. Thinking about it as if these kits are costing them a ton to make and produce is too narrow minded. "Each kit probably only cost them a few dollars to produce"

Bandai is looking at things in a way that they dont need to change. But they do if they hope to expand to make more money. If they are so hard up than they should consider leaving the model business all together and hand it over to another company who can deliver.

Not to mention Bandai repeatedly makes poor business decisions. They whole game division has gone full Paid DLC. Which if they were running correctly they wouldn't need to do. But as handheld games have shown. Its easy for companies to make a half ***** freemium games and make huge profits.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically, what I am saying is that Bandai needs to be more efficient. If they are re-tooling for every small change they make for a different kit. They are wasting money, time and resources.

The old HG Tallgeese III kits, for example, did contain the parts to make I & II if you were willing to paint them, which means a lot of people probably bought multiple copies of that kit. If they could do it without increasing the price so much that the base model becomes not worth it, they could probably make a lot more money that way.

This isn't the right thread for this but....
    Bandai is retooling the previously mold anyway or adding new parts anyway. Your concept is flawed. With a new kit or conversion pieces, you will have the same added or changed parts. Basically, you often have the addition of a new runner or runners. They can either try to sell a single runner for 400 to make little or they can change a 1100 kit to 1400 and make more with minimal repackaging.

It's cheaper for reusing mold and repacking new kit and more profitable. If it wasn't, they would sell conversion kits. It would be nice to have them, but bandai needs to make a profit. It's good they do so they can continue to develope better models and release more.

Re: Discussing Bandai's business plan

"Gundam Wing only did well in America and not Japan, so we're only going to make the kits available in Japan and not America because we have to make money" is a pretty stupid business plan no matter how you slice it.