Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Panel Lining Oops

Hello Everyone,

First Post for me! So I am new to the art that is Gunpla and I gotta say after my first build I am addicted! I have ordered two more kits and cant wait to really begin to perfect my craft. My first kit was 1/100 Full Mechanics Barbatos Lupus which from the research I have done was a great beginners kit.

My question here is when I first built my kit I used the thick panel liner marker that came with the IBO marker set I ordered. I wasn't incredibly pleased with the results and honestly the panel lining could be MUCHHH better. I have since received a gray and black fine tip panel liner in the mail and want to re panel line a lot of my kit. The panel lines have cured for several weeks however and I am afraid I wont be able to remove the crap panel lanes, especially on the blue and yellow portions of the kit where I used the weathering marker to try and get some sort of detail. Over all I just want to clean my kit up and make it look more professional. Is there a way to easily remove cured panel lines? If not its not big deal as I plan on trying my hand at hand painting (pun intended) in the next few weeks and can just use this kit as my trial run. If I can avoid that I want to however, because this is my first kit I have ever built and I want to cherish it forever! Lastly I want to remove the ugly stickers on the knees. What would you guys reccomend for panel lining in green? I saw there was a fine tip Green Gundam marker that most people use for the eyes. Would that work? I welcome any and all suggestions. Pictures attached!

Thank You,
    Attached Images

Re: Panel Lining Oops

You can easily remove the panel lines from Gundam Markers using a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. (If you can find the 91% isopropyl alcohol, rather than the usual 70%, it works even better. Try a drugstore!)

Gundam Marker Eye Green would work well to fill in those sticker panels. Remember, though, it's paint, not panel liner. So expect to so some careful brushing and cleanup for best results.
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build thread Plamobot's trade thread

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that the alcohol would work! Also the GM09 Gundam Marker is paint not panel liner correct? I just want to know what I am working with. I will post updates after I re-line this bad boy!

Correct!

Ok Cool. I have been planning this one out and I think im going to do some hand painting/matte finishing on it and some seem line removal. Going to be tearing it down to the frame tonight and doing some planning on it. Question is it safe to panel line a painted surface? Im going to change the red and blues up. I want a more vivid blue and a deeper red.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if I do I matte top coat over all the armor pieces does it matter the finish of the paint? EG If I use a semi gloss or a satin it will all look matte in the end?

Yes. I often use gloss/semigloss paints, then gloss coat, then finally matte top coat, and everything's matte at the end. (Except for shiny parts, which I mask off, of course.)

Last question. IS there an alternate Cement I can use say from Hobby Lobby that works well for removing seem lines? Also do they carry sanding sticks for plastic models? I want to get it ready for paint over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by AGundamGuy View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Lastly I want to remove the ugly stickers on the knees. What would you guys reccomend for panel lining in green? I saw there was a fine tip Green Gundam marker that most people use for the eyes. Would that work? I welcome any and all suggestions. Pictures attached!

Thank You,
    One of my newer tricks for doing eyes and shiny green parts is this.

1. Paint area with a really glossy silver (I like Valejo model air silver)
    2. Let it dry (especially if your using enamel paint)
    3. Take gundam marker GM51 and paint in the eyes (you'll get a nice bright green shiny part)
    4. (for eyes) Black in area around the eyes to make them pop

Here's the Gundam marker I use.

I was just at my local Hobbylobby today, they had Tamiya extra thin cement, Testors Cement, and Sanding sticks so you should be good. (I can't recall if these cements can be used for removing seam lines)
    WIP page : http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...rage-of-Gunpla

Completed kits
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...ed-quot-builds

All my latest work can also be seen on my Instagram (Gundam and Non-Gundam) jquintel2002

I have seen several videos for using those to remove seem lines. Ill check it out tonight. Thansk for the info and ill definitely try the eye trick.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by AGundamGuy View Post
    Last question. IS there an alternate Cement I can use say from Hobby Lobby that works well for removing seem lines? Also do they carry sanding sticks for plastic models? I want to get it ready for paint over the weekend.
    Tamiya extra thin cement is perfect for that.

Also, be careful when top coating a kit that has panel line marker on it. Certain top coats can cause the marking ink to run.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister

thwalker13 speaks truth. Future gloss coat, for example, will make Gundam Panel Line Markers run like crazy. (I use Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color Black instead to alleviate this problem.)

Administrator

I use the same thing as Plamobot. It's awesome stuff, and easy to clean up. I had the issue when I top coated my MG 00 Raiser. After that, I switched to the accent paint.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister

So with the Tamiya, do you paint it on, let it cure, then use thinner to remove excess? Also I read online that Krylon Matte or Mr. Top Coat acrylic doesnt bleed panel lines.

Yes to both.

Thanks for the help guys. After watching several videos on the Tamiya accent liner, ima pick it up. It looks like incredible stuff.