Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Thread: Hello!

Hello!

I have been looking into model building of some sort for quite some time now.
    When i was a kid i used to build the old Airfix and Tamiya plastic models, everything from planes, bikes, cars and boats.
    Grew up watching Robotech and remember loving all the high tech stuff!
    As well as radio control gliders, electric gliders and cars. Scratch built a lot of gliders back in the day.

I stumbled on Gundam by wasting some time on Instagram while searching for #plasticmodels to get some inspiration!
    Never knew there was such a huge following for this kind of model building! It's awesome!!
    Also found a group on reddit that seem like a great bunch of people! They are just in the middle of a Secret Santa and the gifts are amazing!

So today i picked up two kits for $30, not a bad deal in my opinion!
    Brand new and still sealed!
    The kits are identical and are the RX-78-2 Gundam E.F.S.F. Prototype Close-Combat Mobile Suit in 1/144 scale. The kits are from 2015.
    They appear to be a good beginners intro into the hobby. I plan on building one as is straight from the box, while the other i will attempt to detail with markers, paints and decals.

I really like the bigger version with an internal skeleton! Maybe after a few more builds...

Really looking forward to starting but it will be a few months before anything happens...We have just sold our house and will be moving in early January.
    I will use the time to read and watch everything i can and buy supplies and possibly another kit or three...

Guess this was supposed to be about me...LOL!
    Originally from beautiful South Africa, i now live in Ontario Canada! Quite a geographical change.
    I love working on my wood lathe and metal lathe, making pens and some small steam engines.
    I make teeth for a living so small scale, detail stuff is what i love! And working with my hands and small tools!
    A lot of my dental tools have many uses in the hobby area and workshop, especially the brushless handpieces for small grinding, smoothing and polishing.

Right, enough about me i am off to be a sponge throughout the forum!
    (actually i will be going through all the "New To GunPla" threads...)

Re: Hello!

Welcome aboard! I hope you find you enjoy yourself here and you enjoy getting into gunpla.
    You already sound like pro coming into this; bet your experience with other modeling will translate to Gundam kits wonderfully. Interesting to see somebody come into gunpla from just the modeling hobby instead of the anime side of things.

Hope you enjoy your kits. Ooh, you could definitely use the second RX-78-2 for a kit bash or custom paint job or something else cool later! And I'm totally sure you could handle the Master Grades (the ones 1/100 kits with the inner frame) just fine.

My partner is from Ontario, actually. I need to go there myself someday.
    "So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots? " - The Simpsons 167, The Itchy & Scratchey & Poochey Show

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Quote Originally Posted by lazylathe View Post
    I have been looking into model building of some sort for quite some time now.
    When i was a kid i used to build the old Airfix and Tamiya plastic models, everything from planes, bikes, cars and boats.
    Grew up watching Robotech and remember loving all the high tech stuff!
    As well as radio control gliders, electric gliders and cars. Scratch built a lot of gliders back in the day.

I stumbled on Gundam by wasting some time on Instagram while searching for #plasticmodels to get some inspiration!
    Never knew there was such a huge following for this kind of model building! It's awesome!!
    Also found a group on reddit that seem like a great bunch of people! They are just in the middle of a Secret Santa and the gifts are amazing!

So today i picked up two kits for $30, not a bad deal in my opinion!
    Brand new and still sealed!
    The kits are identical and are the RX-78-2 Gundam E.F.S.F. Prototype Close-Combat Mobile Suit in 1/144 scale. The kits are from 2015.
    They appear to be a good beginners intro into the hobby. I plan on building one as is straight from the box, while the other i will attempt to detail with markers, paints and decals.

I really like the bigger version with an internal skeleton! Maybe after a few more builds...

Really looking forward to starting but it will be a few months before anything happens...We have just sold our house and will be moving in early January.
    I will use the time to read and watch everything i can and buy supplies and possibly another kit or three...

Guess this was supposed to be about me...LOL!
    Originally from beautiful South Africa, i now live in Ontario Canada! Quite a geographical change.
    I love working on my wood lathe and metal lathe, making pens and some small steam engines.
    I make teeth for a living so small scale, detail stuff is what i love! And working with my hands and small tools!
    A lot of my dental tools have many uses in the hobby area and workshop, especially the brushless handpieces for small grinding, smoothing and polishing.

Right, enough about me i am off to be a sponge throughout the forum!
    (actually i will be going through all the "New To GunPla" threads...)
    YOU HAVE A METAL LATHE!!!!!! Please tell me you would be willing to do commission work? I'm not to big to beg....

Sorry got ahead of myself there. I saw metal lathe and kind of lost it.

Welcome to the money pit we lovingly call Gunpla. Nice to know the infections still contagious. Just a helpful tip...all the cool kids are doing it...But the best suits to build start with ZA and end with KU. The mighty ZAKU II! (nope not bias at all.)

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    YOU HAVE A METAL LATHE!!!!!! Please tell me you would be willing to do commission work? I'm not to big to beg....

Sorry got ahead of myself there. I saw metal lathe and kind of lost it.

Welcome to the money pit we lovingly call Gunpla. Nice to know the infections still contagious. Just a helpful tip...all the cool kids are doing it...But the best suits to build start with ZA and end with KU. The mighty ZAKU II! (nope not bias at all.)
    Just found the Zaku II Johnny Ridden version 2.0 and it looks fantastic!!