Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

What tabletop RPG system is best to do a Gundam campaign?

Hi folks,
    I've been thinking about some of my Gundam themed build ideas & the Side Stories, and I'd really like to fire these up as game campaigns. What's the best system to accurately replicate the look and feel of the Gundam series without being too hokey or bogged down with advanced math? R. Talsorian Games has pretty much permanently shelved their attempts to produce a Gundam RPG, and the Japanese language games are both incredibly difficult to get and even more difficult to get translated into other languages. So, I put it out to you, fellow fans. Talk to me. The systems I have at hand are:

Palladium's "Rifts"

R. Talsorian's "Mekton/Mekton Z/Mekton Zeta Plus"

BattleTech

Various D20 titles
    Why do I prefer combat over social events? Simple: in combat, if you don't know what to do, you can always open fire. That tends to be frowned upon in social events.

Re: What tabletop RPG system is best to do a Gundam campaign?

I'm currently in a OYW Gundam campaign over Roll20/Discord using Battle Century G. I've generally found the game fairly easy to learn for newcomers, but still full of options for tactical combat, with most stuff easily fluffable to fit whatever setting you're doing. The supplement Battle Century Z adds more options. There's a free SRD if you wanna preview the game. Actually, I've been in one shots where everybody had the SRD and we were fine. But it's very much meant to emulate mecha anime of all sorts, originally starting out as a Super Robot Wars game and evolved into its own thing.

You can get the SRD here: http://gimmicklabs.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html

If you want something further streamlined or just don't like some of what BCG does like, say, the maiming, there's definitely also Chris Perrin's Mecha. Though battles are more objective oriented with battles to the death being rare, as to let characters like rivals happen organically. There's a battle map, but it's more abstracted into quadrants of a bullseye. It plays in a strange-ish way where it's very streamlined but very heavy on dice rolls.
    Last edited by Riah; November 19, 2017 at 2:35 PM.
    "So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots? " - The Simpsons 167, The Itchy & Scratchey & Poochey Show

Re: What tabletop RPG system is best to do a Gundam campaign?

If I may point you to an older discussion:

http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...Tabletop-Games

A few years ago I started to translate Gundam Senki; unfortunately, real life intervened and my time/energy for translating disappeared. What I finished is scattered through the posts on the linked thread. It's basically Mekton Z with a heavy Gundam flavor, further spiced by Japan's insistence on the D6 as the only readily available die. I have a longtime love of the Talsorian-style life path, and Gundam Senki does offer that; your pilots can easily end up as emotionally traumatized as any major Gundam character ^_^;;

Also, unless the Loto is your ideal mecha, I'd avoid BattleTech. One of its selling points is that its 'Mechs are walking tanks. . . .
    -39-