Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Upgrading/Rebooting for a Global audience

WARNING: Grognards will be triggered by this post!

OK, I've been thinking about the elements of the various Gundam series that detract from the enjoyment it brings, and how to "fix" those points with an upgraded remake or even a full reboot.
    As stated, Grognards will be exposed to triggering elements.

1) The stilted dialogue. Admittedly worse in older series, the subbing and dubbing really needs to be done by folks who are truly fluent in the nuances of both the Japanese language and that of the language they're translating it into. This is pretty much an issue for all anime, though some are far worse than others.

2) The utterly ridiculous names. While some names work, for the most part, using Japanese naming conventions on characters who are not Japanese simply does not work. Instead, in a effort to make Gundam more "globally friendly", use naming conventions (and actual names!) from the countries and cultures that the characters are meant to be from. Another issue that is pretty much universal to all anime.

3) The use of NAVAL ranks for ALL units. Sorry folks, this is a major sore point of mine. Squids Command ships, and aircraft that fly off of ships, or a notable few units such as SEALs and Seabees. Squids DO NOT command line units or large groups of ground combat troops. Maybe it's the Grunt in me, but that's just plain WRONG. Instead, implement a more realistic system where the use of Army, Marine, and Air Force ranks and MOS descriptors is used.

4) The "inexperienced children can better use military equipment and outfight combat veterans with years or decades of experience" phenomenon. This is, again, a universal problem with many animes, and a distinctly Japanese issue.

5) The date system. The "Universal Century" dating system needs to be nailed down better and amended to reflect the current times and changes that have occurred in the decades since Tomino first set things down. I'd say set "UC 0000" as somewhere in the 2100s.

6) The VERY dated animation in the earlier series. This can honestly only be addressed via a remake.

OK, I'm surrendering the soapbox. Feel free to chime in with your $0.02 worth.
    Why do I prefer combat over social events? Simple: in combat, if you don't know what to do, you can always open fire. That tends to be frowned upon in social events.

Re: Upgrading/Rebooting for a Global audience

I'm not sure how your post would activate anybody's phobias or memories of trauma. So can you please not say "triggered" when you can just say "annoyed" instead? It's kinda assholey to make light of people's mental health issues like that as a joke.

That's the only problem I have the with your post.

Also, isn't grognard specifically a wargaming/tabletop term? I've never heard the word outside of table top RPG circles before.
    "So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots? " - The Simpsons 167, The Itchy & Scratchey & Poochey Show

Yes, it's a gamer term, though I have heard it in reference to anyone who gets bent out of shape about anything changing from the original way it was presented, and being quite salty about it. That's what I mean by "triggered", not making light of real mental health issues. That would be stupid, since I myself deal with the ugliness of PTSD.
    Why do I prefer combat over social events? Simple: in combat, if you don't know what to do, you can always open fire. That tends to be frowned upon in social events.

Quote Originally Posted by Drachenherz View Post
    3) The use of NAVAL ranks for ALL units. Sorry folks, this is a major sore point of mine. Squids Command ships, and aircraft that fly off of ships, or a notable few units such as SEALs and Seabees. Squids DO NOT command line units or large groups of ground combat troops. Maybe it's the Grunt in me, but that's just plain WRONG. Instead, implement a more realistic system where the use of Army, Marine, and Air Force ranks and MOS descriptors is used.
    I way I've figured it, the EFSF acts as like a mobile Marine force that operates in both gravity and zero-gravity environments. It would certainly explain why the EFSF has ground forces stationed on Earth. However, it should be noted that the Earth Federation Forces has two separate forces based on Earth, the EFGF for the ground and the EFAF for the air. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I believe the USMC even uses both ground and naval ranks. Of course, part of the problem is that, with exceptions, both the JGSDF and the JMSDF use the same ranks.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Navy ranks are used because they launch from ships, they sleep on ships, they live on ships.....You see where I'm going with this? For the most part the battles that take place happen in space, ships launching MS against each other.

Army ranks were used by Dozle at Solomon and they were used when M'Queve was running Odessa. But they're only really going to use those rankings when they hold territory and can set up a permanent base.

And you forget that the Japanese had great pride in their naval capabilities. Else there wouldn't be so many shows with ships in them or about them.

Anyway, as far as a reboot it's pretty much Origin. They can call it telling the stories of how each character of MSG became how they are but it's a soft reboot just with the way MS history was altered. Any "upgrade" to me would be AU Gundam stories since I'm honestly not that big a fan of UC in general.

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

Captain of the 1/72 Brigade
    "The Scale of Tragedy"
    Conrad<Kahrys<Shepard<937<Nasir<Malenko<Nathen

That's part of my point. It's meant to be a universal story for all mankind, yet ranks, military organization, governmental style...100% exclusively Japanese. I'm saying either use other services ranks/MOSs, or give the unified Earth forces a completely new set of ranks & organization not based on any single nationality.

It's meant for a Japanese audience and they don't give a f*** about their western audience despite the money that comes in.

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

"The Scale of Tragedy"

I wonder if they'd care if their profit margin started to suffer.

They honestly wouldn't. Japan produces what they produce for their country, if some other country wants to license it and dub it themselves, then sure give them money and they'll be down. If it doesn't work out for them, then oh well, the company already got paid not their problem. They only care about their own market.

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

"The Scale of Tragedy"